Na

Na

Attacks on Myanmar telecom towers show evolving tactics in conflict

Attacks on Myanmar telecom towers show evolving tactics in conflict

17/9/2021 3:32:00 PM

Attacks on Myanmar telecom towers show evolving tactics in conflict

(Reuters) - Around 700,000 people in Myanmar are estimated to have lost internet access after attacks on telecommunication equipment run by Mytel, the partly army-controlled company said amid reports that dozens of its towers were damaged.

Myanmar has been in turmoil since Aung San Suu Kyi's government was toppled, sparking nationwide anger, strikes, protests, and the emergence of anti-junta militia.There has been an upsurge in bloodshed in some areas after the underground NUG declared an uprising and called on the new militia, known as People's Defence Forces (PDF), to target the junta and its assets.

'Saya mohon maaf' | Harian Metro Covid-19: Persiaran Tasik cluster at school includes 114 students, says Health DG Price hike rally cancelled, cops set up cordons at Sogo

"The destruction of telecommunications infrastructure is depriving the means to access information, education, and important services on the internet for hundreds of thousands," said a spokesperson for Mytel, a venture between Myanmar's army and Viettel, which is owned by Vietnam's defence ministry.

Most attacks have been in rural areas and more than 80 towers owned by Mytel have been destroyed, with People's Defence Forces claiming responsibility in some areas, according to a report by the independent Irrawaddy newspaper this week.EXPLOSIONS headtopics.com

A military spokesman did not respond to a request for comment, but an army newsletter published on Sept. 12 listed 68 explosions at public telecommunication towers. It did not specify who they belonged to and accused the"NUG terrorist organisation" of promoting violence.

Videos on social media have shown what appear to be blasts at towers. Reuters could not immediately confirm with any PDFs whether they had carried out the attacks.Earlier in the conflict, the military had at times itself shut down the internet, particularly in cities, in a bid to curb demonstrations.

The declaration of an uprising came amid opposition frustration at lack of concrete support from around the world in opposing the junta."Now people have realized that we must walk till the end regardless of international assistance or not," NUG deputy minister Maw Htun Aung said in a text message.

Still, while the NUG has received a barrage of support on social media in Myanmar, it remains unclear how much its declaration will threaten a well-equipped military."I will have high hopes in our revolution if all of the PDFs around the country rise up in arms. But for now, they are not ready," said a 27-year-old supporter of the Chinland Defence Force, set up in Chin state bordering India. headtopics.com

SBP Seri Puteri ditutup sementara, 143 positif Covid-19 | Harian Metro MMA challenges govt to resolve contract doctors predicament | New Straits Times DAP calls off cooperation with PSB, cites possible defection

(Reporting by Reuters Staff; Writing by Ed Davies; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne) Read more: The Star »

ERL launches RM1 special fare for all stops this weekend

KUALA LUMPUR: A special fare of only RM1 per ticket for the Express Rail Link (ERL) will run through the weekend.

Myanmar junta to put Suu Kyi on trial for corruption | Malay MailYANGON, Sept 17 — Myanmar’s junta will put ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi on trial for corruption, her lawyer said today, adding to a raft of ongoing cases that could see her jailed for decades. Suu Kyi has been under house arrest since she and her elected government were deposed by the... Mimpi Qasim 2015 - Nabi Muhammad SAW bersabda,”Qasim! Sampaikan pesan ini kepada seluruh umat Islam, siapa pun yang berdiri bersamamu sama seperti orang yang berdiri bersamaku, dan barangsiapa yang menyokongmu sama seperti mereka yang menyokongku.”

Dine-ins to be allowed in Sarawak's southern regions next weekKUCHING: Eateries in Sarawak's southern zone will be allowed to resume dine-in operations starting next week subject to certain conditions.

SDMC: Dine-ins for Sarawak’s southern zone allowed from Sept 20 | Malay MailKUCHING, Sept 17 — The state Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) today said that dine-in at food outlets and restaurants in the southern zone of Sarawak will be allowed from September 20. SDMC in a statement said operators, workers and patrons must have received two doses of vaccines against...

Sabah PPV see increase in walk-ins after teens allowed to get Covid-19 jabsKOTA KINABALU: Vaccination centres (PPV) across Sabah are seeing an increase in the number of walk-in recipients following the state government’s announcement allowing teens to get jabbed against Covid-19.

Myanmar junta to put Suu Kyi on trial for corruption | New Straits TimesYANGON: Myanmar’s junta will put ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi on trial for corruption, her lawyer said Friday, adding to a raft of ongoing cases that could see her jailed for decades. Muhammad Qasim berkata, 'Saya belum diperlihatkan siapa Mahdi AS dalam mimpi saya. Saya bukan Mahdi dan saya tidak mahu. Saya sama seperti orang lain. Harapan dan kepercayaan saya hanya kepada Allah SWT.' Ramai muslim memanggilnya sebagai Imam Al-Mahdi!

More than 90% of Malaysians have friends of other races, poll finds | The Malaysian InsightMost meet through school, college or university, survey by UCSI University shows.