Latest on the worldwide spread of coronavirus
U.S. President Donald Trump urged for a big stimulus to cushion the economic impact of COVID-19, as the country's tally of infections surpassed eight million while reporting record spikes in several states.
EUROPE* The Polish government urged its citizens to stay at home and ordered new national restrictions after cases rose by 24% to a record.* Police raided the homes and offices of France’s health minister, its public health director and former prime minister as a judicial investigation into the government’s response to the coronavirus crisis deepened.
AMERICAS* New COVID-19 cases in the United States rose by one million in less than a month to push total caseloads beyond eight million, with Wisconsin and other midwestern states seeing a record jump in new infections.* President Donald Trump said he is willing to raise his offer of $1.8 trillion for a COVID-19 relief deal with Democrats in the U.S. Congress, but the idea was shot down by his fellow Republican, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
* Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden tested negative for COVID-19 after he flew earlier this week with a person who subsequently tested positive.* Catholics and Jews asked U.S. courts to overturn New York Governor’s order limiting worship to no more than 10 congregants in communities hard hit by the virus, calling the measure a threat to religious freedom.
* Mexico’s death toll surpassed 85,000 after it reported 387 additional fatalities along with 5,514 new cases.ASIA-PACIFIC* India is bracing for a surge in coming weeks as it heads into its main holiday season with an economy freed of restrictions.* The organiser of Vietnam’s first Formula One grand prix said it has cancelled the race, having already postponed the event initially scheduled for April.
* Hundreds of New Zealand plane passengers started arriving in Sydney on Friday as part of a new trans-Tasman travel bubble amid a rapidly falling growth rate in cases at the epicentre of Australia’s coronavirus outbreak.MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA* South Africa will embark on a massive public works and job-creation drive in response to the coronavirus crisis, President Cyril Ramaphosa said, unveiling a plan to return Africa’s most industrialised economy to growth.
MEDICAL DEVELOPMENTS* One of China’s front-running coronavirus vaccine candidates was shown to be safe and triggered immune responses in a combined early and mid-stage test in humans, researchers said.* Gilead Sciences Inc’s remdesivir had little or no effect on COVID-19 patients’ length of hospital stay or chances of survival, a clinical trial by the World Health Organization has found.
* Fujifilm Holdings Corp said it had applied for approval in Japan for its anti-influenza drug Avigan as a treatment for COVID-19.* The risk of exposure to the novel coronavirus on flights is very low, a U.S. Department of Defense study found, a positive sign for the airline industry.
ECONOMIC IMPACT* Asian stocks edged higher, buoyed by gains in China, but the mood was cautious due to a resurgence of coronavirus infections in Europe and the United States. [MKTS/GLOB]* The number of Americans filing new claims for jobless benefits rose to a two-month high last week, stoking fears the pandemic was inflicting lasting damage to the labor market.
* Rio Tinto warned a resurgence in infections was putting global economic growth at risk and that steel production outside China has sharply dropped even as stimulus measures prop up demand in the top consumer.Compiled by Uttaresh.V, Devika Syamnath and Sarah Morland; Editing by Alex Richardson, Anil D’Silva and Arun KoyyurRead more: Reuters Top News »
'A slap in the face': Families of COVID-19 victims slam president's downplaying of his diagnosis
Families of victims killed by the coronavirus decried the president's latest tweet downplaying the pandemic, which has killed over 210,000 Americans.
CCCP(Communist China Censorship Party) is more horrible than any virus because it exports pandemic all across the world.Getoutofchina madeinyourowncountry Demogoguery. Hes developed 2 cures and you say he mishandled by not lockingdown more when its a state issue anyway? Say no to the NWO! TrumpsGenocide
horrible wtf is this picture 💀🤣
Mexico's Covid-19 death toll nears 85,000 – latest updates Health care professionals account for about 15% of all Covid-19 cases in Mexico and 18% of the death toll. Here are other updates 🇰🇷 South Korea reports 110 cases 🇨🇳 Mainland China reports 11 new cases 🇧🇷 Brazil registers 749 coronavirus deaths Read more: Europe sees record highs in Covid19 infections, with the virus infecting nearly 39 million people globally. Here is a look at active cases:
The Latest Developments On COVID-19 Treatments And VaccinesPfizer received FDA approval to enroll adolescents in its COVID-19 vaccine trial. Experts say it's an important step aimed at determining whether a vaccine could be safe and effective in children.
Foot Fetishists Will Love Balenciaga's Latest ShoeNice try, Demna. dont kill me im innocent i swear- No JK would buy these... especially after previous socks he’s worn 💜😂💜
Mom’s Latest Halloween Decoration Just Rustic Wooden Sign That Says ‘Bones’SUDSBURY, MA—Stressing the festive item lacked any discernible frightening imagery or spooky embellishment, family sources confirmed Wednesday that 52-year-old mom Diane Mathieu’s latest Halloween decoration was just a rustic wooden sign that says “bones.” “Yeah, I was expecting maybe a scary font or some cobwebs or skeletons in the corner, but just ‘bones,’ huh? Alright,” said 17-year-old son Peter Mathieu, who noted that in a previous year the family had purchased a color-changing light-up skull before admitting that the unembellished sign participated in a tradition that included a hand-stitched pillow solely featuring the word “spooky.” “Look, I’m not trying to get too down on Mom. She has a corn stalk bundle on the front porch, so I guess that’s at least fall themed, but not exactly spine-tingling.” At press time, family members were relieved after discovering dozens of festering corpses left by their mother in the basement. Scary I legit kinda want this bless this mess
Budweiser Crowns Halsey as Its 'King' For Latest CampaignHalsey is fit to 'Be a King' for Budweiser's latest campaign, which was announced Wednesday (Oct. 14). halsey RT ARIAsTaylorSwift halsey HALSEY QUEEN 👑
The Latest: Biden says Green New Deal timeframe unachievablePresident Trump said his lungs were “a little bit infected” when he was hospitalized for coronavirus and was evasive when asked whether he took a coronavirus test on the day of the first debate. Trump was speaking at a town hall-style meeting on NBC. Donald Trump is doing a town hall on NBC. The President is doing a town hall on ABC. Evasive? He acted like he didn’t fucking know!! Trump is dumb. Also he always lies. Vote Biden2020