E-cigarette battery explodes in woman's pocket and sets her on fire

A warning to anyone who vapes.

E-Cigarette, Aldi

12/4/2021 1:30:00 AM

A warning to anyone who vapes.

The battery blew up in the woman's coat pocket, leaving her with second-degree burns.

, in Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside, when she started to ‘feel and hear something in her pocket’.She opened her coat and the red hot battery slid out of the hole it had melted and landed on the floor – still glowing orange.Sarah screamed out loud when she realised she was on fire and an elderly couple rushed to use bottled water from Aldi’s shelves to put the flames out.

Her husband Andrew now believes the accident was caused by the spare e-cigarette battery Sarah had in her pocket.He said: ‘We’ve later found out from a guy on Facebook that these batteries canshort if the positive end comes in contact with say a key or a coin.’

Indeed, the London Fire Brigade tells people to ‘never let your [e-cigarette] battery come into contact with metal items such as coins or keys in a pocket or bag, as this can cause a short circuit and explosion.’Andrew said the battery ‘exploded like a firework when you first light it – lighting [Sarah’s] clothes, coat and jumper.’ headtopics.com

Grenadier Guards 'want Kate to replace Prince Andrew as their colonel'

The battery burnt a whole through Sarah’s coat and left her with second-degree burns (Picture: Liverpool Echo)Sarah was taken to hospital but she has since been discharged to recover at home (Picture: Liverpool Echo)During all the chaos, a young man used Sarah’s phone to call Andrew – who was away for work in North Wales.

Andrew said: ‘I could hear [Sarah] screaming and panicking in the background.‘I keep thinking that a few minutes earlier she would have beendriving on the main roads of Newton-Le-Willows and it haunts me tothink what might have happened.‘I think we both had a little private whimper to ourselves last night

when I got her home, she was very lucky, and also very lucky thatcertain members of public were in the shop at the same time.’Sarah was taken to hospital with second-degree burns but has since been released to recover at home while being treated by Whiston Hospital burns unit.

Kanye West and Julia Fox match in double denim at Paris Fashion Week

Andrew said: ‘People definitely need to be made aware, we didn’t have the slightest idea the dangers of a loose battery.’

Read more: Metro »

Louie Anderson, Emmy-Winning Comedian, Dies at 68

Louie Anderson, a comedian and actor, died at a hospital in Las Vegas of complications from cancer at age 68 Read more >>

‘It’s not good’: Uefa confirms women’s qualifying to change after mismatchesThe format of European qualification for the Women’s World Cup and Women’s Euros will change from 2023, Uefa’s head of women’s football, Nadine Kessler, has said It's such poor form to put 20 goals past such a very inferior opponent in one match.

Helen Mirren, 76, transforms into Israel's first female Prime MinisterHelen Mirren ditched her usual glamorous attire as she slipped into character as Israel's first female Prime Minister Golda Meir for her role in the new biopic. Joe Biden knows her! DISGUSTING MIER What brand is she puffing on - Golda Flake?

Ever wondered what that little pocket in women’s knickers is for? (Hint: it's not for storage)Mystery solved.

I'm a Celebrity: ITV removed intruders during Storm Arwen security breachTwo intruders broke into the show's set in a Welsh castle this week during Storm Arwen.

Chef sentenced after one killed and 31 left ill by undercooked shepherd’s pieJohn Croucher admits contravening food regulations after incident in which woman died in Northamptonshire Wait till they find how many deaths borisjohnsonout is responsible for... A shepherds pie? How the hell did he cock that up so badly? No parole This is very Midsomer Murders.

Nearly a tonne of cocaine worth £78,000,000 found hidden in warehouseThree men and a woman were arrested when officers swooped at the depot in Brackmills Industrial Estate, Northampton, last week.