China, Disneyland, Forbiddencity, Greatwall, Sars, Wuhan, Virus, Coronoavirus, China', 'Lunar New Year', 'Wuhan', 'Disneyland', 'Great Wall', 'Coronavirus

China, Disneyland

From Great Wall to Disneyland, China shuts down to halt coronavirus

BEIJING: China has quarantined cities and shut major tourist attractions from Disneyland to the Forbidden City and a section of the Great Wall as it scrambles to stop a deadly SARS-like virus from spreading further.

26.1.2020

NSTworld: China has quarantined cities and shut major tourist attractions from Disneyland to the ForbiddenCity and a section of the GreatWall as it scrambles to stop a deadly SARS -like virus from spreading further. Wuhan Virus coronoavirus

BEIJING: China has quarantined cities and shut major tourist attractions from Disneyland to the Forbidden City and a section of the Great Wall as it scrambles to stop a deadly SARS -like virus from spreading further.

The drastic moves come as hundreds of millions of people criss-crossed the country in recent days to celebrate the Lunar New Year holiday, which officially started Friday and is typically a joyous time of gatherings and public celebration. Here is a rundown of the measures taken so far in an unprecedented quarantine effort: Public transport has been stopped in 18 cities in central Hubei province, with train stations shut, events cancelled and theatres, libraries and karaoke bars closed in some locations. The epicentre of the outbreak is provincial capital Wuhan, the biggest city on lockdown, where the government has halted all travel out of the Yangtze River metropolis of 11 million. Workers take the body temperature of passengers before they enter the subway station outside the Beijing Railway Station in central Beijing. -Reuters Wuhan residents have been told to stay home and authorities are restricting car traffic in the city centre. There are few flights available to the city, deepening the isolation. Similar quarantine measures are being taken in the other, smaller cities. These include strict controls on weddings and funerals, temperature screening of people as they arrive and the suspension of online taxi services. More than 56 million people in total are affected by the city shutdowns. A medical staff member (left) wearing protective clothing to help stop the spread of a deadly virus which began in the city, takes the temperature of a man (R) at the Wuhan Red Cross Hospital in Wuhan. -AFP Beijing will suspend long-distance bus services entering and leaving the capital of 20 million people from Sunday due to “requirements of epidemic prevention and control,” the official People’s Daily newspaper reported. Wuhan and Beijing have cancelled public events that usually attract hundreds of thousands of people to temples during the New Year holiday. Gao Fu, head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, has asked China’s 1.4 billion citizens to forego New Year gatherings and confine themselves at home until all is clear. To discourage nationwide travel, the government also said all tickets for rail, air, road, or water transport could be refunded. Members of staff wearing masks are seen outside the Shanghai Disney Resort, that is closed today during the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday following the outbreak of a new coronavirus, in Shanghai. -Reuters On Saturday, China said it will suspend both domestic and overseas Chinese group tours, state media reported Saturday, as it ramps up efforts to contain the new SARS-like virus. Underscoring fears that the virus could spread further, overseas Chinese tour groups will be suspended from Monday while domestic trips have already been halted. Tourists from Hubei in Haikou, capital of the island province of Hainan, were told by the city government they had to spend 14 days in a hotel for centralised medical observation, and were forbidden to leave. The historic Forbidden City , a sprawling imperial palace in Beijing that is one of the country’s most revered cultural sites, closed on Saturday. Other famous landmarks including a section of the Great Wall, the Ming Tombs and Yinshan Pagoda are also not open to visitors. Shanghai Disneyland said it would shut for an indefinite period “to ensure the health and safety of our guests and cast.” Security guards wearing protective facemasks to help stop the spread of a deadly SARS-like virus which originated in the central city of Wuhan, stand at the exit of the Forbidden City (back) in Beijing. -AFP Women’s Olympics football qualifiers scheduled for Feb 3-9 in Wuhan have been moved to the eastern city of Nanjing. China’s film box-office earnings for Lunar New Year’s Eve on Friday were just one-tenth of last year as people shunned crowds. US coffee chain Starbucks said it would shut all its stores in Hubei during the Lunar New Year festival for the “health safety” of staff and customers. Staff in full body protective suits were seen checking the temperatures of people entering a subway station in Beijing on Friday. The country has ordered sterilisation and ventilation at airports and bus stations, as well as inside planes and trains, while travellers are being screened for fever. Temperature screening checkpoints have been set up in 387 Chinese railway stations, according to state news agency Xinhua. People walk outside an entrance to the Juyongguan section of the Great Wall, which is closed to visitors, according to a notice in its tickets office for the safety concern following the outbreak of a new coronavirus, near Beijing, China. -Reuters Health authorities are urging people to wash their hands regularly, avoid crowded places, get plenty of fresh air and wear a mask if they have a cough. In Wuhan, city authorities have made it man datory to wear a mask in public places. In response to skyrocketing demand for masks – starting to sell out at pharmacies and on some popular websites – China’s industry and information technology ministry said it would “spare no effort in increasing supply.” In Wuhan , authorities are rushing to build two new hospitals in just weeks as a rising number of patients are infected by the new coronavirus. A medical staff member (left) wearing protective clothing to help stop the spread of a deadly virus which began in the city, takes the temperature of a man (R) at the Wuhan Red Cross Hospital in Wuhan. -AFP The first facility is expected to be in use by Feb 3 and will have a capacity of 1,000 beds spread over 25,000 square metres, according to state media. The second one will have 1,300 beds. Dozens of excavators and trucks were filmed working on the site by state broadcaster CCTV. Xinhua said the two new hospitals in Wuhan would be similar in size to the temporary facility that was built to tackle SARS in Beijing in 2003, when 650 people died from the disease in the mainland and Hong Kong. Its construction began after reports surfaced of bed shortages in hospitals designated as dealing with the outbreak, which has now infected over 1,600 people across China. - AFP Related stories Read more: New Straits Times

Meanwhile in malaysia we are ok for Chinese tourists to come....

China shut downs temples, Disneyland and even the Great Wall together with Mcdonalds (update)XIANNING: The week long holiday to welcome in the Year of the Rat began on Friday, raising fears that the infection rate could accelerate as hundreds of millions of people travel to their homes and abroad. The risks persuaded Shanghai Disneyland theme park to close from Saturday until further notice.

China shuts down temples, Disneyland and even the Great Wall together with McDonald's (update)XIANNING: The week long holiday to welcome in the Year of the Rat began on Friday, raising fears that the infection rate could accelerate as hundreds of millions of people travel to their homes and abroad. The risks persuaded Shanghai Disneyland theme park to close from Saturday until further notice.

US stockbroker in 'Wolf of Wall Street' sues Riza Aziz for fraudJordan Belfort says he has been damaged by the 1MDB scandal that engulfed Red Granite Pictures in 2017. FMTNews JordanBelfort WolfOfWallStreet 1MDB RedGranite

Real-life ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ sues Najib’s stepson Riza Aziz for RM1.2bilLOS ANGELES (Variety.com): Jordan Belfort, the pump-and-dump scammer immortalised in Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf of Wall Street, said in a lawsuit Thursday that he was victimised by a far grander scam perpetrated by the film's producers.

Man behind ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ goes after Riza Aziz for fraudulent financing | Malay MailKUALA LUMPUR, Jan 24 — Former stockbroker Jordan Belfort has sued former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s stepson, Riza Shahriz Abdul Aziz, in the US for allegedly deceiving him about the source of funds used to finance the Wolf of Wall Street movie. Belfort, whose criminal enterprise... Riza aziz bila dapat duit Your family stolen & lied, guess this is karma? Well, I don't know where the money comes from? It's just there in my account so I spend it on the movie. It's purely business eh!? NajibRazak

'Wolf of Wall Street' Belfort sues Red Granite for US$300m over 1MDB linkBelfort says he wouldn't have sold memoir rights to Riza Aziz's company if he knew the film was funded with dirty money.



PH sokong Tun M sebagai PM8

Syed Saddiq rebels against Bersatu: I won't work with the corrupt

Muhyiddin kini ketuai ‘Perikatan Nasional’, minta sokongan rakyat

Tommy Thomas resigns as AG

Tommy letak jawatan?

Greed, power play of PH top leaders caused week of chaos, says Tian Chua

Di sebalik Mahathir 'ok' pilih Muhyiddin jadi PM ke-8

Write Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Please try again later.

Latest News

News

26 January 2020, Sunday News

Previous news

Rampas makanan tiada permit import

Next news

Barca beaten by Valencia in early blow for Setien
Istana Negara: Muhyiddin to be sworn in as Malaysia’s PM tomorrow | Malay Mail Muhyiddin dapat sokongan 114 ahli parlimen We are not stupid, Sarawak CM tells DAP after peace offer Berundur setapak untuk Tun M - Anwar Malaysia King names Muhyiddin as Premier to succeed Mahathir Salahuddin: Pakatan to probe Muhyiddin’s appointment as PM, claims coalition commands 112 MPs’ support | Malay Mail Parliament sitting on March 9 is the next battleground Pakatan akan rayu keputusan Agong lantik Muhyiddin | The Malaysian Insight GPS: If anyone wants our help, they must help us in return Masalah selesai dengan pelantikan PM8 - Annuar Musa Misi saya selesai, kata Zahid sebelum sorakan dari rumah Muhyiddin ‘Kumpulan Azmin’ kumpul di rumah Muhyiddin selepas Dr M umum sedia jadi PM
PH sokong Tun M sebagai PM8 Syed Saddiq rebels against Bersatu: I won't work with the corrupt Muhyiddin kini ketuai ‘Perikatan Nasional’, minta sokongan rakyat Tommy Thomas resigns as AG Tommy letak jawatan? Greed, power play of PH top leaders caused week of chaos, says Tian Chua Di sebalik Mahathir 'ok' pilih Muhyiddin jadi PM ke-8 Itulah keputusan PH - Anwar GPS will not support a coalition that includes DAP, says S'wak Dep CM Muhyiddin didn't get party's blessing to be 8th PM, says Kadir Jasin Kadir Jasin: Dr M not a dictator, unity govt proposal intended to save Malaysia | Malay Mail Pengerusi UMNO Johor angkat sumpah MB