Portugal's soccer league to investigate COVID-hit match

Portugal's soccer league to investigate COVID-hit match

28/11/2021 11:11:00 PM

Portugal's soccer league to investigate COVID-hit match

LISBON : Portugal's soccer league said on Sunday it would start a disciplinary process to investigate if this weekend's match between Benfica and Belenenses SAD - a team hit by a COVID-19 outbreak - complied with health rules.Saturday's game was abandoned minutes into the second half amid extraordinary sc

LISBON : Portugal's soccer league said on Sunday it would start a disciplinary process to investigate if this weekend's match between Benfica and Belenenses SAD - a team hit by a COVID-19 outbreak - complied with health rules.Saturday's game was abandoned minutes into the second half amid extraordinary scenes after Belenenses, which reported a total of 17 COVID-19 among players and staff, were forced to name a team of nine players - including two goalkeepers - as all others were isolating.

Such Unluckly Moment Has Never Been Seen! The Scariest Sports Accidents

Benfica took advantage of their numerical superiority to rack up seven goals by halftime before Belenenses returned with only seven players for the second period.The match was then called off after the break when a Belenenses goalkeeper playing in midfield sat down on the pitch unable to continue, forcing the referee to abandon the game which requires a minimum of seven players.

Shortly after the match, the Benfica and Belenenses presidents told a news conference they had no choice but to play the match or risked an"unjustified absence". They pointed a finger at the league for not allowing the game to be postponed.One of the Belenenses players, defender Cafu Phete, tested positive for COVID-19 after returning to Portugal last week from international duty in South Africa. Belenenes president Rui Pedro Soares said he was concerned the cases in the squad could be related to the new Omicron variant. headtopics.com

No cases from the new COVID-19 variant have been reported in Portugal so far.Responding to the accusations, the Portuguese football league told Lusa news agency they did not receive a formal request to postpone the match.In a statement, the league said it would open an investigation to determine responsibility, particularly"related to the compliance with sanitary protocols". Its board of directors will hold discussions on Monday.

S'pore cabby's daughter chooses his taxi as bridal car to honour family's source of livelihood

The league also called emergency meetings with the government and health authority DGS to obtain information on the COVID-19 protocol in place.Without providing further details, DGS said it does not comment on the football matches. A DGS spokesperson told Reuters it was not up to the health authority to postpone it but to assess the COVID-19 situation and implement measures, such as self-isolation, to stop the spread.

(Reporting by Catarina Demony; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

Read more: CNA »

UK's PM sorry for partygate scandal amid calls to quit

LONDON — UK prime minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday (Jan 12) offered 'heartfelt apologies' for attending a lockdown-breaching party held in his Downing Street garden, but deflected calls to resign as the opposition leader called him a 'man without shame'.

Barbarians match cancelled shortly before kickoff due to COVID casesThe Barbarians' match against Samoa at Twickenham on Saturday was cancelled 90 minutes before kickoff after four players and two members of the staff in the Barbarians camp tested positive for COVID-19, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) said.'We appreciate that this is an extremely disappointing situation fo

Benfica match abandoned after COVID-hit opponents left with six playersLISBON : Benfica's Primeira Liga match at Belenenses on Saturday was abandoned amid extraordinary scenes after their COVID-19-hit opponents were forced to name a team of nine players - including two goalkeepers.Benfica took advantage of their numerical superiority to rack up seven goals by halftime before

Philippines to buy extra 20 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccineMANILA: The Philippines will buy an additional 20 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech, seeking to fully inoculate more than 80 per cent of its population by mid-2022, a government official said on Sunday (Nov 28). A deal has been signed with Pfizer, bringing the gove

Six Sri Lanka women players test positive for COVID-19 in ZimbabweCOLOMBO : Six Sri Lanka women cricketers who took part in a World Cup qualifying tournament in Zimbabwe have tested positive for COVID-19, the Asian country's cricket board said on Sunday.Cricket's governing body ICC abandoned the qualifiers in Zimbabwe on Saturday after discovery of a new COVID-19 varian

Austria reports first suspected case of Omicron COVID-19 variantZURICH: Austria has detected its first suspected case of the new Omicron coronavirus variant in the Tirol, authorities in the alpine region said late on Saturday (Nov 27). A traveller who returned from South Africa last week tested positive for COVID-19 with indications of the new variant, though confirmat

Australia police to charge woman with arson for COVID-19 quarantine hotel fireSYDNEY: Australian police said on Sunday (Nov 28) they expect to charge a 31-year-old woman with arson after she allegedly set fire to the COVID-19 quarantine hotel where she and her two children were staying. No one was injured in the fire, which gutted much of the 11th floor of the Pacific Hotel Cai