North Korea, Australia, The North, Joe Biden, North Korean Foreign Ministry Official, Seoul, South Korea, Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile, İnternational Security Environment

North Korea, Australia

NKorea slams US over submarine deal, warns countermeasures

North Korean state media published comments from an unidentified Foreign Ministry official who called the arrangement between US, Britain, and Australia an “extremely dangerous act” that would destroy the security balance in the Asia-Pacific.

20/9/2021 3:30:00 PM

North Korea n state media published comments from an unidentified Foreign Ministry official who called the arrangement between US, Britain, and Australia an “extremely dangerous act” that would destroy the security balance in the Asia-Pacific.

North Korea has criticized a U.S. decision to provide nuclear-powered submarines to Australia and threatened unspecified countermeasures if it finds the deal affects its security. State media on Monday published comments from an unidentified North Korea n Foreign Ministry official who called the arrangement between U.S., Britain and Australia an “extremely” dangerous move that would destroy the security balance in the Asia-Pacific. The official said the North was closely examining the deal and would proceed accordingly if it has “even a little adverse impact on the security of our country.”

20 September 2021, 4:09 am·3-min readIn this photo provided by U.S. Navy, the Virginia-class fast-attack submarine USS Missouri (SSN 780) departs Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam for a scheduled deployment in the 7th Fleet area of responsibility, Sept. 1, 2021. Australia decided to invest in U.S. nuclear-powered submarines and dump its contract with France to build diesel-electric submarines because of a changed strategic environment, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021.(Chief Mass Communication Specialist Amanda R. Gray/U.S. Navy via AP)

3,862 new COVID-19 cases as Singapore reports 18 more deaths 3,862 new Covid-19 cases in S’pore; record 18 deaths reported in a day brings tally to 264 Covid-19: Healthcare system still under pressure as hospitalised patients, ICU cases continue to rise, says MOH

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea has criticized a U.S. decision to provide nuclear-powered submarines to Australia and threatened unspecified countermeasures if it finds the deal affects its security.State media on Monday published comments from an unidentified North Korean Foreign Ministry official who called the arrangement between U.S., Britain and Australia an “extremely” dangerous move that would destroy the security balance in the Asia-Pacific. The official said it would set off a nuclear arms race.

The official said the North was closely examining the deal and would proceed accordingly if it has “even a little adverse impact on the security of our country.”President Joe Biden announced last week a new alliance including Australia and Britain that would deliver an Australian fleet of at least eight nuclear-powered submarines. Biden has stressed the vessels would be conventionally armed. headtopics.com

France denounced the move, accusing Australia of concealing its intentions to back out of a 90 billion Australian dollar ($66 billion) contract with the French majority state-owned Naval Group to build 12 conventional diesel-electric submarines for Australia.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison blamed the switch on a deteriorating strategic environment in the Indo-Pacific, a clear reference to China’s massive military buildup that has been gaining pace.Apparently alluding to the French complaints, the North Korean official said the United States was being accused of back-stabbing even by its allies. The North believes the deal would destroy the “peace and stability of the region and the international nuclear non-proliferation system” and catalyze an arms race.

“The prevailing situation shows once again that bolstering the capabilities for national defense from a long-term perspective should not be slackened even a bit in order to cope with the ever-changing international security environment,” the Korean Central News Agency quoted the official as saying.

Story continuesNorth Korea suspended its testing of nuclear bombs and intercontinental-range ballistic missiles that could hit the U.S. mainland in 2018, when its leader Kim Jong Un initiated diplomacy with former President Donald Trump while attempting to leverage his arsenal for badly needed sanctions relief. headtopics.com

WP's Raeesah Khan yet to respond to police on alleged mishandling of rape case: SPF Covid-19: 'Stabilisation phase' restrictions extended by a month to Nov 21 Malaysian trans woman says she is 'safe and free' in Australia

Nuclear negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang have stalled since the collapse of a second Trump-Kim meeting in 2019, when the Americans rejected North Korean demands for major sanctions relief in exchange for dismantling an aging nuclear facility. That would have amounted to only a partial surrender of the North's nuclear capabilities.

The North has continued testing shorter range weapons, threatening U.S. allies South Korea and Japan in an apparent effort to pressure the Biden administration over the stalled diplomacy.This month, the North tested a new cruise missile it intends to eventually arm with nuclear warheads and demonstrated a new system for launching ballistic missiles from trains.

The North's launches from rail cars on Wednesday came hours before the South reported its first test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile. The dual display of military might highlighted a return of tensions in the region.In a separate statement Monday, the North scoffed at the South's test, saying the missile was clumsy and didn't appear ready for military use.

Jang Chang Ha, president of North Korea’s Academy for National Defense, said the rudimentary weapon system designed to fire conventionally-armed missiles posed no immediate threat to the North.The North tested its Pukguksong-3 missile from a sea-based platform in 2019, part of a years-long effort to acquire the ability to fire nuclear-armed missiles from submarines. headtopics.com

Read more: Yahoo Singapore »

Covid-19: Healthcare system still under pressure as hospitalised patients, ICU cases continue to rise, says MOH

North Korea says US submarine deal, alliance could trigger 'nuclear arms race' SEOUL : North Korea \u0027s foreign ministry on Monday (Sep 20) said a new US alliance in the Indo-Pacific and recent US submarine contract with Australia could trigger a \u0022nuclear arms race\u0022 in the region. Last week the United States announced a new

North Korea says US submarine deal, alliance could trigger 'nuclear arms race' SEOULNorth Korea 's foreign ministry on Monday (Sept 20) said a new United States (US) alliance in the Indo-Pacific and recent US submarine contract with Australia could trigger a

North Korea derides South's submarine-launched missile as 'clumsy', 'rudimentary' SEOUL : A North Korea n military think tank on Monday (Sep 20) dismissed South Korea 's recently tested submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) as 'clumsy' and 'rudimentary', but warned that it It's funnier in the original Korean.

North Korea says US submarine deal, alliance could trigger 'nuclear arms race' SEOUL : North Korea \u0027s foreign ministry on Monday (Sep 20) said a new US alliance in the Indo-Pacific and recent US submarine contract with Australia could trigger a \u0022nuclear arms race\u0022 in the region. Last week the United States announced a new

North Korea says US submarine deal, alliance could trigger 'nuclear arms race' SEOULNorth Korea 's foreign ministry on Monday (Sept 20) said a new United States (US) alliance in the Indo-Pacific and recent US submarine contract with Australia could trigger a

Australian PM departs for Quad meeting amid French submarine deal falloutCANBERRA: Australia n Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Monday (Sep 20) departed for Washington to meet with leaders of the Quad grouping amid criticism over his government\u0027s decision to abandon a US$40 billion submarine deal with France. Australia last week said it would scrap a deal with France\u0027s Naval Gro