Mediterranean, Migrants

Mediterranean, Migrants

More than 700 saved from Mediterranean this weekend: Aid group

More than 700 saved from Mediterranean this weekend: Aid group

2/8/2021 4:12:00 AM

More than 700 saved from Mediterranean this weekend: Aid group

Rescue ships picked up more than 700 people trying to cross the Mediterranean in makeshift vessels this weekend, mainly off the coasts of Libya ...

WorldMore than 1,100 people died attempting the crossing in the first half of the year, says the International Organization for Migration. (Photo: AFP/Jason TAVLAS)02 Aug 2021 08:39AMShare this contentBookmarkMARSEILLE: Rescue ships picked up more than 700 people trying to cross the Mediterranean in makeshift vessels this weekend, mainly off the coasts of Libya and Malta, a migrant aid group said on Sunday (Aug 1).

Calls grow among experts in Singapore for mandatory vaccination as Covid-19 cases spike Melbourne police break up violent anti-vaccine protest with pepper spray, rubber pellets Bully learns his lesson after messing with the Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion

The latest figures came as UN migration officials repeated their calls for a fairer mechanism to share out the responsibility of caring for them, rather than leaving it to the Mediterranean countries.AdvertisementAdvertisementSOS Mediterranee said that its vessel, the Ocean Viking, had carried out six separate operations in international waters since Saturday.

In the last such intervention, it rescued 106 people off the Maltese coastline after being alerted by German aid group Sea-Watch, said the Marseille-based organisation."The youngest survivor rescued in this operation is just 3 months old," SOS Mediterranee tweeted. headtopics.com

Overnight from Saturday to Sunday, the Ocean Viking joined vessels from Sea Watch and ResQship, another German group, to help 400 people in difficulty in the central Mediterranean, said the group.AdvertisementAdvertisementThey were rescued from a vessel that was taking in water, in what a spokesman for the organisation told AFP was a particularly perilous operation.

Those who were rescued were shared out between the Ocean Viking and Sea-Watch3.Ocean Viking alone has 555 passengers on board from this weekend's operations, including at least 28 women, two of whom are pregnant. The organisation has yet to determine at which safe port they will be able to leave them.

Libya remains one of the main departure points for tens of thousands of migrants hoping to attempt the dangerous Mediterranean crossing, despite the continuing insecurity in the country. Most of them try to reach the Italian coast, some 300km away.Advertisement

MIGRANT NUMBERS 'TOTALLY MANAGEABLE'Celine Schmitt, the spokesman for the UN refugee organisation's French operation, said last month there was an urgent need for an automatic system to share out the new arrivals between countries, to ensure them a better reception - and not leave it to Mediterranean countries to assume sole responsibility. headtopics.com

Permission to Dance? BTS sing their way through United Nations 44 people investigated over alleged COVID-19 breaches at unlicensed KTV outlet Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf employee goes viral for proving that brand's rice straw is edible

"If we look at the Central Mediterranean, last year, there were fewer than 50,000 people who arrived," she said."It is totally manageable for the European population", when you consider there are 82 million people around the world who have been forced to flee their homes, said Schmitt.

International Organization for Migration (IOM) spokesman Paul Dillon took a similar position last week."By advocating for better migration management practices, better migration governance and greater solidarity from EU member states, we can come up with a clear, safe and humane approach to this issue that begins with saving lives at sea," he said.

The Central Mediterranean crossing, between Libya and Italy or Malta, is by far the deadliest in the world, according to figures from the IOM.Of the 1,113 deaths recorded in the Mediterranean in the first half of this year, 930 of them were recorded there.

Nevertheless, according to the latest IOM figures, increasing numbers of migrants have attempted the crossing this year. Read more: CNA »

Covid-19: People with positive rapid-test result to self-isolate for 3 days; test kits at 100 vending machines from Sept 18

China's indebted Evergrande to sell stakes in Internet unitChina's most indebted property developer Evergrande Group has agreed to sell stakes in its internet unit HengTen Networks Group Ltd worth a total ... Sell china stocks first, talk later. China stocks are too toxic right now.

China's indebted Evergrande to sell stakes in internet unitChina's most indebted property developer Evergrande Group has agreed to sell stakes in its internet unit HengTen Networks Group Ltd worth a total ... I will stay away from china stocks, too toxic now. Sell first talk later.

Olympics-Athletics-One and done, Wlodarczyk qualifies with first hammer throwPoland's Anita Wlodarczyk saved her energy in the stifling heat on Sunday as she threw the hammer past the qualification mark in one go, on course ...

US Senators will 'get the job done' on infrastructure: SchumerThe Senate convened for a rare weekend session on Saturday (Jul 31), with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer encouraging the authors of a ...

Organisers investigating after athletes drank alcohol together in villageTOKYO: Tokyo Games organisers are investigating after a group of athletes were found drinking alcohol in the Olympic village this week, an ...

Olympics-Golf-Schauffele within reach of gold medal at TokyoXander Schauffele had one hand on the gold medal as the final groups made the turn at the Olympic golf on Sunday after the American made a ...