Pentagon, Us Polıtıcs

Pentagon, Us Polıtıcs

Divisive Trump nominee gets new Pentagon post, despite snub by Congress

Divisive Trump nominee gets new Pentagon post, despite snub by Congress

3/8/2020 4:36:00 AM

Divisive Trump nominee gets new Pentagon post, despite snub by Congress

WASHINGTON (REUTERS) - After failing to secure a Senate confirmation hearing, US President Donald Trump's most divisive nominee for a Pentagon position so far has taken a different, less-senior policy role at the Defence Department, a spokesman said on Sunday (Aug 2).. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Anthony Tata, a retired Army brigadier general who has called former President Barack Obama a"terrorist leader," will officially perform the duties of the deputy undersecretary of defence for policy, the Pentagon spokesman said.In theory, the position would still offer Tata some degree of influence on hot-button Pentagon policy matters, potentially including Iran.

3 community cases, including 2 fully vaccinated linked to new Changi Airport cluster Commentary: Does Singapore have to resort to 'slapstick and Singlish' to get public messages across? US business lobby calls on China to play fair, warns of consumer boycott danger

In addition to falsely calling Obama a Muslim and a terrorist, Tata has also called Congressman Maxine Waters, an African American, a"race-baiting racist," according to now-deleted Twitter posts seen by Reuters.Democratic Congressman Adam Smith, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, blasted the move to give Tata a senior job just days after the Republican-led Senate abruptly cancelled Tata's confirmation hearing.

"If an appointee cannot gain the support of the Senate, as is clearly the case with Tata, then the President should not put that person into an identical temporary role," Smith said in a statement."This evasion of scrutiny makes our government less accountable and prioritises loyalty over competence." headtopics.com

Tata's new job is more junior than the one Trump initially nominated him for - undersecretary of defence for policy.But the White House made clear on Friday that Trump still supported him, even after the Senate declined to take up his nomination.Tata had to overcome two bureaucratic hurdles to secure his new role.

First, he withdrew himself from consideration by the Senate for the undersecretary position.He then accepted the more provisional status of simply"performing the duties of" the deputy, as opposed to having the position outright.Smith said the Defence Department was struggling under a record number of vacancies, with top positions filled in provisional capacities, like Tata's deputy role.

"If confirmations cannot be completed, the president must find new, qualified people who can win the support of the Senate," Smith said. Read more: The Straits Times »

Singapore returns to tighter COVID-19 measures: What's allowed under the new rules?

SINGAPORE: With the recent rise in COVID-19 cases in the community, Singapore has announced tighter measures for about three weeks from Saturday ...

Trump says federal government should again seek death penalty for Boston bomber TsarnaevPresident Donald Trump said Sunday that the federal government should again seek the death penalty for Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Trump to act on Chinese software companies in coming days, Pompeo saysPresident Donald Trump will take action shortly on Chinese software companies that are feeding data directly to the Beijing government, posing a ...

Trump says will ban TikTok amid pressure on Chinese owner to sellPresident Donald Trump said on Friday he would sign an executive order as soon as Saturday to ban TikTok in the United States, ratcheting up the pressure on the popular short-video app's Chinese owner to sell it. The move would be the culmination of U.S. national security concerns over the safety

Trump says he will ban TikTok app in the United StatesWASHINGTON (REUTERS) - US President Donald trump said on Friday (July 31) that he was planning to sign an executive order as soon as Saturday banning Chinese-owned short-video app TikTok from the United States.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Eastman Kodak top executive got Trump deal windfall on an 'understanding'[NEW YORK] Eastman Kodak on Monday granted its executive chairman options for 1.75 million shares as the result of what a person familiar with the arrangement described as an 'understanding' with its board that had previously neither been listed in his employment contract nor made public. Read more at The Business Times.

Trump days away from moving against TikTok: Pompeo[WASHINGTON] President Donald Trump is days away from announcing strong action against the popular Chinese-owned video sharing app TikTok to protect US national security, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday. Read more at The Business Times.