Who, Covıd-19, Coronavirus

Who, Covıd-19

COVID-19: WHO urges global unity, defends handling of pandemic after Trump's criticism

COVID-19: WHO urges global unity, defends handling of pandemic after Trump's criticism

9/4/2020 5:08:00 AM

COVID-19 : WHO urges global unity, defends handling of pandemic after Trump's criticism

GENEVA: The World Health Organization ( WHO ) on Wednesday (Apr 8) pleaded for global unity in fighting the coronavirus and gave a strident defence ...

BookmarkGENEVA: The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday (Apr 8) pleaded for global unity in fighting the coronavirus and gave a strident defence of his agency's handling of the pandemic, in response to US President Donald Trump's criticism.

Baby infected with Covid-19 in the womb: Study 27th Covid-19 death in Singapore: 62-year-old man dies 2.5 months after testing positive China's President Xi Jinping congratulates PM Lee on election results, both sides reaffirm bilateral ties

As the WHO prepares to mark 100 days on Thursday since it was first notified of the outbreak in China, director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hit back at accusations that it had been too close to Beijing.AdvertisementAdvertisementThe UN's health agency has faced criticism in the past both for overreacting and for moving too slowly in fighting epidemics, but it has rarely faced as much scrutiny as with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Trump piled in on Tuesday, accusing the WHO having"called it wrong" and months too late, while taking US money but favouring China.US contributions to the WHO in 2019 exceeded US$400 million, almost double the second-largest country donor, according to US figures. The WHO website shows the United States as its top donor, contributing nearly 15 per cent of the budget.

Trump told the daily White House briefing on the coronavirus that Beijing's payment was a small fraction of Washington's WHO contribution, and that was"not fair at all."AdvertisementAdvertisementThe new coronavirus, which first appeared in China in December, has killed more than 80,000 people, while more than 1.4 million people have tested positive.

"The WHO really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China-centric. We will be giving that a good look," Trump said on Twitter."Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?"

READ: Trump says WHO is China-centric, 'really blew it' on coronavirusBODY BAGS IMAGETedros urged the United States to join with China in combating the disease rather than indulging in a blame game, as he issued a stern defence of the WHO's management of the pandemic.

"The United States and China should come together and fight this dangerous enemy," Tedros told a virtual press briefing in Geneva."The focus of all political parties should be to save their people. Please don't politicise this virus.

New work-from-home insurance plan covers mental health counselling and ergonomic injuries Mediacorp apologises for portrayal of LGBTQ community in Chinese-language drama series Coronavirus: France to make masks compulsory in enclosed public places

"If you want to have many more body bags - then you do it. If you don't want many more body bags, then you refrain from politicising it.Tedros also rejected Trump's suggestion that the WHO was"China-centric", saying:"We are close to every nation, we are colour-blind."

Citing the death toll and number of infections, Tedros implored:"For God's sake ... is this not enough?"READ: COVID-19 outbreak 'a pandemic', says WHO chiefPERSONAL ABUSEThe WHO was deemed too alarmist when it faced the H1N1 epidemic in 2009 but five years later it was accused of dragging its feet in declaring an emergency over the Ebola outbreak in west Africa, which killed more than 11,000 people.

Now the agency has been accused of delaying sounding the alarm over COVID-19 for fear of offending Beijing, for waiting too long to declare the outbreak a global pandemic and for failing to coordinate a coherent international response.Tedros has been giving thrice-weekly virtual press conferences in a bid to be open about how the organisation is dealing with the pandemic.

On Wednesday, in a highly unusual turn, Ethiopia's former health and foreign minister spoke out for the first time about the personal attacks aimed at him, including racial slurs and a death threat, during the crisis."I don't give a damn," Tedros said.

"I am a very proud black person ... When the whole black community was insulted, when Africa was insulted, then I don't tolerate," he added, referring to suggestions last week from two scientists about the continent's suitability as a vaccine testing ground.

SUPERSTAR SUPPORTLate Wednesday, he retweeted the personal support he has received from the African Union and the presidents of South Africa, Nigeria and Rwanda.United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres lent his support too, saying it was not the time to criticise the early response to the outbreak.

Nokia says ready to replace Huawei in UK 'at scale and speed' Game review: Ghost of Tsushima lets you channel your inner samurai in style Flash floods kill 15 in Indonesia, dozens missing

"Now is the time for unity, for the international community to work together in solidarity to stop this virus and its shattering consequences," he said in a statement.Tedros can call also on some top-level celebrity backing, such as US superstar Lady Gaga.

He has teamed up with the singer to launch a giant online coronavirus awareness concert on Apr 18 entitled"One World: Together at Home", featuring music icons like Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder.Tedros said there would be worse to come from COVID-19 if the world did not unite to stand up to its spread.

"Let's fight like hell to suppress and control this virus," he said. Read more: CNA »

W.H.O Chief responds to Trump by threatening to kill more with continued China disinformation - Says get more body bags.

COVID-19: India eases malaria drug export ban after Trump threatNEW DELHI: India announced on Tuesday (Apr 7) a partial lifting of a fresh export ban on a malaria drug seen as a potential COVID-19 treatment, ... Kindly correct the headline. The decision was taken before the so called threat. Poor journalism This is fake news... The real news is here...

Trump removes top COVID-19 watchdog, widens attack on inspectors generalWASHINGTON: President Donald Trump removed the inspector general (IG) who was to oversee the government's US$2.3 trillion COVID-19 response, a ... Crazy guy

Coronavirus: Trump removes inspector-general overseeing US$2.3 trillion Covid-19 responseWASHINGTON (REUTERS) - US President Donald Trump has removed the inspector-general tasked with overseeing the government's coronavirus response, including US$2.3 trillion (S$3.2 trillion) in economic relief, the spokeswoman for that inspector general's office said on Tuesday (April 7).. Read more at straitstimes.com.

COVID-19: US President Donald Trump says 110,000 ventilators to be deliveredWASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (Apr 8) that the federal government had 8,675 ventilators in a national stockpile available ...

New Zealand PM cautiously optimistic about COVID-19, urges Easter 'staycation'New Zealand's prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, said on Wednesday she was cautiously optimistic about slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus as ...

Rohingya who landed illegally on Langkawi appear clear of Covid-19LANGKAWI (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - None of the 202 illegal immigrants believed to be Rohingya who landed in the coastal area near the Ritz-Carlton Beach Resort in Langkawi on Sunday (April 5) are showing any Covid-19 symptoms after tests were carried out.. Read more at straitstimes.com.