'Runaway' princess fights Dubai Sheikh over custody secrets

Sheikh Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, is fighting to stop details of their High Court child custody battle being made public.

2/27/2020

Sheikh Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, is fighting to stop details of their High Court child custody battle being made public.

Dubai's runaway Princess Haya attended court in London as her billionaire ex-husband mounted a bid to keep their long-running legal case secret.

Share Email London - Dubai's runaway Princess Haya attended court in London on Wednesday as her billionaire ex-husband mounted a bid to keep their long-running legal case secret. Sheikh Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, is fighting to stop details of their High Court child custody battle being made public. On Wednesday Princess Haya, who was the youngest of his six wives, appeared at the Royal Courts of Justice to support a media bid to publish a senior judge’s ruling in the case. Wearing a white coat-dress, she was flanked by solicitor Baroness Shackleton, nicknamed the Steel Magnolia, who handled the divorces of Prince Charles and Sir Paul McCartney. At stake are judicial findings which Sheikh Maktoum, a friend of the Queen, does not want made public. The case has included evidence from a British police chief who investigated claims the Sheikh previously kidnapped a runaway daughter, Princess Shamsa, from Cambridgeshire and had her returned to Dubai. Another witness who gave evidence was present on a yacht when another of his daughters, Princess Latifa, was also allegedly abducted. The sheikh vehemently denies the claims. The child custody court case started last year after Princess Haya, 45, fled the Gulf state with their two children to the UK "in fear of her life". Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, 70, applied to the High Court in London for the ‘summary return’ of his children to the United Arab Emirates, where he is prime minister and vice-president, and the emirate of Dubai, which he rules. The princess asked for a "non-molestation order", commonly used in domestic violence cases. She also urged the High Court to protect one of her children from being forced into an arranged marriage. Britain’s most senior family court judge, Sir Andrew McFarlane, has overseen months of private hearings. At the moment, court orders prevent the public from knowing his conclusions in relation to "certain disputed factual issues". Now Princess Haya, who lives in an £85million London townhouse next to Kensington Palace, wants the world to know what Sir Andrew has concluded. Sheikh Maktoum, who owns racing stables in Newmarket, Suffolk, wants it to remain private. But it can today be revealed that in a significant milestone towards open justice, Sir Andrew, the president of the family division of the High Court, which usually sits behind closed doors, has ruled his ‘judgment on certain disputed factual issues’ and another related judgment should be made public. The billionaire sheikh is appealing against this decision. He has paid one of Britain’s top QCs, Lord Pannick, to argue at the Appeal Court that the secrets of his family should be kept under wraps. On Wednesday Lord Justice Underhill, vice president of the Court of Appeal, said: ‘The president decided that the two previous judgments could and should now be published. "The father contends that that decision was wrong in law and that the judgments should not be published. "The appeal is opposed by the mother, the independent guardian appointed by the court to represent the children’s interests, and by a number of media organisations." The Daily Mail is spearheading the application to ease reporting restrictions with other newspapers. Among the witnesses to give evidence was David Beck, a former detective chief inspector at Cambridgeshire Police, who investigated claims the sheikh’s daughter Princess Shamsa was kidnapped in 2000. She has not been heard from since. Mr Beck told a BBC documentary in 2018 that he found evidence that "suggested there may be some substance to what was being alleged". Another witness in the High Court case was Tiina Jauhiainen, who was on board a yacht during a 2018 escape bid by Princess Shamsa’s younger sister Princess Latifa. Lord Justice Underhill is sitting with Lady Justice King and Lord Justice Bean. They are due to announce their decision in the next few days. Daily Mail Read more: IOL News

‘Lunch in Dubai’ habit just one of the Samro issues new CEO has to tackleMusic rights body’s Mark Rosin is realising just how ‘helluva hard’ it will be to fix its faults and rid it of baggage

Paire hangs on to beat Cilic in DubaiBenoit Paire fought off four match points at the Dubai Championships on Tuesday, overhauling former US Open winner Marin Cilic 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7/1).

Paire hangs on to beat Cilic in DubaiBenoit Paire fought off four match points at the Dubai Championships on Tuesday, overhauling former US Open winner Marin Cilic 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7/1).

‘Lunch in Dubai’ habit just one of the Samro issues new CEO has to tackleMusic rights body’s Mark Rosin is realising just how ‘helluva hard’ it will be to fix its faults and rid it of baggage

Lions of the North ready to pounce on Mamelodi SundownsHighlands Park have made Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa their fortress, and anyone who comes there must sweat, according to defender Ryan Rae. RealNevilleK RealNevilleK Some supporters were impatient with Coach Owen Da Gama and Management shows faith in him RealNevilleK Masandawana is not KaizerChiefs something would stun them when the right time comes.

POLL | EFF to march against load-shedding, will you join in?On Tuesday, the party said the march is in defence of the public's asset and invited the community of Winnie Mandela in Ekurhuleni to take part. Yesssss! Yes, We will be there, in full force. They’re marching against Pravin to pursue personal vendetta. Stupid thing to do because Pravin is a staunch fighter against corruption and state capture.



EXCLUSIVE: German tourist on a group trip in SA tests positive for COVID-19

Edgars, Jet may not reopen post lockdown

SA COVID-19 infections rise to 1170, death toll reduced to one - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.

Public warned not to taunt SANDF

Ramaphosa still needs parliament’s permission to deploy SANDF

Lockdown law breakers arrested Durban, Johannesburg - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.

Alexandra residents defiant on first day of 21-day lockdown - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.

Write Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Please try again later.

Latest News

News

27 February 2020, Thursday News

Previous news

Openly gay soccer player Phuti Lekoloane says SA is not ready to embrace gay community

Next news

Search for several occupants of inflatable boat that capsized on Atlantic Seaboard
COVID-19: World's condom producer stops production King Monada lends Limpopo vendors, poor a R50K helping hand LIVE: Motsepe Foundation pledges R1 billion to fight COVID-19 - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. SANDF to deploy more soldiers across the country as fight against COVID-19 intensifies - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Moody's move SA to junk status WATCH: Army members break beer bottle, slap and kick member of the public SA Lockdown: Limpopo patient arrested Limpopo man with COVID-19 arrested after failing to self-isolate - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Police to intensify roadblocks across the country to curb COVID-19 spread - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Fuel price cut on the horizon - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Second SABC employee tests positive for COVID-19 - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Visiting hours at all public health facilities suspended as COVID-19 cases climb - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.
EXCLUSIVE: German tourist on a group trip in SA tests positive for COVID-19 Edgars, Jet may not reopen post lockdown SA COVID-19 infections rise to 1170, death toll reduced to one - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Public warned not to taunt SANDF Ramaphosa still needs parliament’s permission to deploy SANDF Lockdown law breakers arrested Durban, Johannesburg - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Alexandra residents defiant on first day of 21-day lockdown - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Winning Women: Dineo Lioma’s big plans for artificial intelligence in the world of medicine South Africa officially under lockdown British PM Johnson tests positive for coronavirus First coronavirus deaths in South Africa German ambassador: Quarantined tourists afraid, want to go home