Nigerian court upholds Buhari's election win

Nigerian court upholds Buhari's election win

12.9.2019

Nigerian court upholds Buhari's election win

Opposition parties lodged a legal challenge against the result in March.

Abubakar, 72, said he had been cheated of the chance to lead Africa's most populous state after a conspiracy between the electoral commission INEC and Buhari's ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). READ: However, on Wednesday the presidential election tribunal found there was no evidence of the opposition's claims. "This petition is hereby dismissed in its entirety," judge Mohammed Garba said on Wednesday. The ruling was widely expected, with Buhari's government taking office last month. Buhari has insisted that the election was free and fair, claiming the vote was"another milestone in Nigeria's democratic development". It was not immediately clear if the opposition parties would appeal the ruling to the supreme court, the country's highest court. EU and local observers spoke of"serious problems" in the February polls, which was hit by violence including 53 deaths. Some reported vote-buying, intimidation and violence towards voters and officials, which have been a problem in previous elections in Nigeria. Source Read more: eNCA

'I can't feed my family': Uncertain present & future as Nigerians leave SA after xenophobic violence“Imagine your family going home without concrete arrangements. I wonder how some of us must cope.

Ramaphosa names Zukisa Tshiqi and Stevan Majiedt as ConCourt judgesPresident Cyril Ramaphosa has appointed Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) justices Zukisa Tshiqi and Stevan Majiedt as judges of the Constitutional Court, five months after being given the names of shortlisted candidates.

THE LEX COLUMN: Nissan needs more than a new CEOThere are two hurdles: keeping up with tech changes and winning back the US market

SA selects Knuckle City as official submission for Oscars 2020 | IOL NewsSA selects Knuckle City as official submission for Oscars 2020

WIN tickets to NEDBANK International Polo!WIN tickets to NEDBANK International Polo! One of South Africa’s pre-eminent sporting and social events, the Nedbank International Polo is making its anticipated return 10 lucky readers each stand a chance to win double tickets! To enter click here:



South Africans coming home from China are coronavirus free

Money was used to buy ANC's Nasrec conference, claims Tokyo Sexwale

Nigeria confirms coronavirus case, first in sub-Saharan Africa

EFF to march to Megawatt Park against load-shedding

Coronavirus: Two South Africans infected on Japanese cruise ship

Coronavirus in SA: Not if, but when says expert

Cosatu objects to extension of the Zondo Commission - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.

Write Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Please try again later.

Latest News

News

12 September 2019, Thursday News

Previous news

Business confidence hits lowest since 1980s

Next news

Lotto results: Wednesday, 11 September 2019
Myeni deserves minimum seven years imprisonment: Outa, Saapa Flood warning issued for Gauteng AA predicts fuel price drop for March #MyTruth - 'I asked my husband to bring another woman into our marriage, when he did I got jealous' LIVESTREAM: Final farewell for Tazne van Wyk Australia denies refugee status to SA families amid surge in applications Budget shows Treasury is short of ideas to fix SA's economic woes Magashule encourages ANC members to support Zuma - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. DA hands in 94 000 submissions opposing Section 25 amendment Two South Africans in Japan test positive for coronavirus - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. British passenger of virus-hit Japan cruise ship dies Steven Seagal fined in US over cryptocurrency promotion
South Africans coming home from China are coronavirus free Money was used to buy ANC's Nasrec conference, claims Tokyo Sexwale Nigeria confirms coronavirus case, first in sub-Saharan Africa EFF to march to Megawatt Park against load-shedding Coronavirus: Two South Africans infected on Japanese cruise ship Coronavirus in SA: Not if, but when says expert Cosatu objects to extension of the Zondo Commission - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader. Game, Makro owner Massmart plunges to over R1bn loss Cosatu wants those implicated in the Zondo commission to be charged now Coronavirus: South Africans in China 'anxious' to get home Ramaphosa directs South Africans in China to be repatriated It may be time for SA to get a k-word register for habitual racists, a high court judge says