Education committee concerned about continuation of feeding scheme amid lockdown
Bongiwe Mbinqo-Gigaba says the committee does not want communities to be exposed to the possibilities of contracting the coronavirus.
Mbinqo-Gigaba said she had been receiving calls regarding the matter about the Western Cape education department (WCED) as members of the public had raised concerns regarding social distancing and mixed messages in a province that had so far recorded the second-highest number of Covid-19 infections.
Mbinqo-Gigaba said in a statement on Wednesday: “As a caring nation that understands the plight of the poor, we have the greatest of empathy with those less fortunate. But at the same time, the health of our nation is also at stake and therefore assisting families in need, as part of the comprehensive country’s plan, is now not the responsibility of the education department.”
Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga said last month that since the sector’s plan for the lockdown of schools, the school infrastructure, which consists of schools and teachers, was unable to feed children in communities during the lockdown.She further said it was going to be impossible to track the 9.6 million children that benefited from the NFNP and therefore MECs of education agreed that the programme would not be running during the lockdown.
“To this end, Minister Motshekga said she has handed over the school nutrition function to Social Development Minister Ms Lindiwe Zulu to run with it,” said Mbingo-Gigaba.According to media reports this week, the Western Cape MEC for education, Debbie Schaefer, said the feeding scheme was to continue.
She was reported to have said that it was business as usual and that as per normal, food was prepared at schools by food handlers.“The intention is then to let them prepare the food there, then we will be able to allocate it to the learners in a sort of take-away parcel of some sort,” Schaefer said.
Mbinqo-Gigaba said the committee did not want communities to be exposed to the possibilities of contracting the coronavirus.“We cannot be telling people to stay safe and stay at home and at the same time we are encouraging them to collect food at school.
“We are sending out conflicting messages to our people in a time when we should be united in putting the health and interests of our learners and communities first.“We know, in underprivileged communities if the people are made aware of food being distributed, they will go and queue, thereby exposing the adults or children who collect the food,” she said.
Mbinqo-Gigaba said she would write to Motshekga to request further information about the deviation of the agreed plan regarding the NFNP.“As well as requesting information on how people can be allowed to enter school premises during a national lockdown, risking exposing many to the virus,” she said.Read more: The Citizen News »
Why are the parents not feeding what they breeding?
Government is still assessing effectiveness of lockdownThe president is concerned about the lockdown’s effect on the economy, but says that ‘lives matter’ Way too early for that. Test Atleast 40-50% of the population then start assessing AfricaTanks We still have water tanks we can deliver. Assessment: we haven’t tested enough....
Government is still assessing effectiveness of lockdownThe president is concerned about the lockdown’s effect on the economy, but says that ‘lives matter’ Joephadima Difficult to do when your own people are defying you openly, to the masses Livelihoods also matter.
Help Feed SA bring relief to vulnerable communities during lockdownFeed SA, a non-profit organisation which feeds close to 6 500 people daily, is in need of funds to continue its relief efforts to vulnerable communities.
WATCH: Matthew McConaughey playing virtual bingo with seniors amid lockdown will make your day'Ever play virtual bingo with Matthew McConaughey?'
Ramaphosa summons Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams over 'lockdown violation'Communications minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams is yet to respond to widely circulated social media post allegedly depicting her 'flouting lockdown rules' while having a meal with former higher education minister Mduduzi Manana. How do you summon your side chick 🐥 Nothing will happened to her,but the government is criminalising the citizens who broke the disaster act law,SAPS must charge her and be criminally charged,and be fired as minister.Then we can see government is serious about the lockdown alfred_cabonena What to get an increase?
WATCH: Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams begs South Africans to forgive her for breaking lockdown rulesNdabeni-Abrahams said she was deeply sorry for her actions and hoped that South Africans and President Cyril Ramaphosa would forgive her for her actions. Day13ofLockdown The Law should be allowed to take its course. She must be held accountable like the rest of the sa citizens that hit arrested. She is NOT above the Law. Fokof TheMercurySA Tell that to the South Africans who were ARRESTED for the exact same thing. He can forgive her all he wants but I'm sure they won't.