Banned from Europe, Man City may still have to pay huge player bonuses
Many of City's players have bonuses written in their contracts for Champions League qualification that must be paid despite two-year ban by Uefa, say reportsAbu Dhabi government, not Etihad airlines, was ‘covering’ the sponsorship of Manchester City, says new report 18 February 2020 - 20:21 Agency Staff Manchester City chair Khaldoon Al Mubarak and CEO Ferran Soriano. Picture: JASON CAIRNDUFF/REUTERS London — Manchester City could still face huge player bonus bills if they lose an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport against a two-year European ban by Uefa, according to the British media on Tuesday. Many of City’s players have bonuses written in their contracts for Champions League qualification and performance. In some cases, those run into millions, the Daily Mail reported. UEFA’s financial fair play compliance body, the CFCB, banned City from the Champions League for two seasons on Friday and fined the club €30m. It had concluded the club was not being truthful in its submissions from 2012 to 2016 that Etihad Airlines wholly funded its annual £67.5m sponsorship. Should the appeal — which the club’s CEO Ferran Soriano says in an e-mail will be lodged soon — fail it would see City lose out on a minimum of £150m a season for qualifying. The Daily Telegraph reported that the club promised to sue Uefa “for the next 10 years”. The Guardian meanwhile said it had unearthed more evidence that the club had fudged figures on the sponsorship. Club executives have been meeting with the players and their representatives and discussing how they would make up any losses in earnings. The club have told the players not to panic. City fear rivals could try to lure players with low bids and the promise Champions League football. Soriano remains bullish the club will win. “It is important to recognise that this is not the end. “There is more to come. We are confident that with a fair and independent hearing we will prevail,” added the Spaniard in an e-mail. Another e-mail from club lawyer Simon Cliff says City chair Khaldoon Al Mubarak intends to carry on fighting even if they lose their appeal. “Khaldoon said he would rather spend £30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them for the next 10 years,” wrote Cliff as cited by The Daily Telegraph. City manager Pep Guardiola is expected to confirm he will stay — at the very least till his present contract ends in 2021 — when he gives his first press conference since the affair broke after the Premier League game with West Ham on Wednesday. “Look, whatever league we are in, I will still be here,” Guardiola told the players when they met up last Saturday after their mini break according to Sky Sports News. The Guardian, though, says it has dug out a document from 2015 produced by a US aviation industry alliance which in turn quoted a report by consultants written for the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi in 2010. The consultants stated that the Abu Dhabi government, not Etihad airlines, was “covering” the sponsorship of Manchester City. “While Etihad asserts that it funded the $640m (total) cost of the sponsorship of Manchester City ‘from its own liquidity’, it provides no such evidence,” read the document. “An internal study that (the consultants) prepared for the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, states that the Executive Council of Abu Dhabi — not Etihad — covers the cost.” Meanwhile, the club’s fans plan to show their anger at Uefa when Real Madrid visit for their Champions League Last 16 second leg clash on Wednesday next week. They are to unfurl new anti-Uefa banners, for which a crowdfunding appeal has raised £4,500 so far, and also do a ‘Poznan’ protest. Lech Poznan fans turned their backs on the field of play during a Europa League match against Manchester City in 2011 as part of an ongoing feud with Uefa. AFP Read more: Business Day
City wins court battle against refugees camped at Cape Town churchThe high court granted an urgent application on Monday in favour of the city of Cape Town against refugees and asylum seekers camped in and around the Central Methodist Mission church. This is just not fair. When will the parishioners use their church. The city must find a place for these people This criminals called 'Refugees' needs to be Marikanad once and for all.
City of CT: Steps taken to resolve issues with foreign nations around churchForeign nationals, not nations
Snake orgy prompts partial closure of Florida city parkA city in Florida closed off part of a park after residents spotted dozens of snakes which had apparently gathered for their annual coupling.
Family says government did not protect 7-year-old girl murdered in Mexico City | IOL NewsRelatives of a seven-year-old girl murdered in Mexico said the government had failed to protect her despite their pleas.
City of Cape Town welcomes ruling on foreign nationals - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.%The City of Cape Town has welcomed the ruling of the Cape Town High Court allowing the City to enforce its by-laws outside the Central Methodist Church where hundreds of foreign nationals are sheltered.%
MNINAWA NTLOKO: Fifa lets racism sore festerFootball body mute after attack on FC Porto player Moussa Marega, who substituted himself after chants