87 suspected illegal miners abandon bail as court hears they are in SA illegally

87 suspected illegal miners abandon bail as court hears they are in SA illegally

2021-12-03 10:15:00 PM

87 suspected illegal miners abandon bail as court hears they are in SA illegally

The case against 87 alleged illegal miners, “zama-zamas”, has been postponed in the Orkney magistrate's court to January 2022.

North West National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Henry Mamothame said due to the serious nature of the case the state applied for it to be transferred to the regional court for trial. The postponement was to allow for this to happen and for further investigation.

Embrassed Moments ! Celebrities are Caught on Camera Like This

The accused face charges of attempted murder, illegal possession of prohibited firearms and ammunition, illegal possession of gold, theft and conspiracy to commit an offence. They were allegedly operating at a shaft in Orkney.Mamothame said all the suspects abandoned their bail applications as they were verified to be in the country illegally.

“The status verification of the miners was completed and it was established in their previous court appearance that they all had no legal documents to be in the country,” he said.TimesLIVE reported that eight of the suspects were wounded and six shot dead during a shoot-out with police during an intelligence-driven operation on October 20. headtopics.com

Mamothame said of the eight wounded during the shoot-out, two are still under police guard receiving medical attention.“The court proceeded again in their absence. Police reports revealed that from this operation a number of items were discovered, including two mini-buses, illegal mining paraphernalia, gold-bearing material, 11 illegal firearms (3 x shotguns, 3 x rifles, 4 x pistols and 1 x revolver) and bags of food.”

Kaizer Chiefs offer two players in exchange to AmaZulu as part of Sithebe transfer

Mamothame said the suspects will remain in police custody until their next court appearance.

Read more: Sowetan LIVE »

87 suspected illegal miners abandon bail as court hears they are in SA illegallyThe case against 87 alleged illegal miners, “zama-zamas”, has been postponed in the Orkney magistrate's court to January 2022.

Surge in SA households dependent on grants – Stats SAMore than a quarter of all households received grants as their main source of income last year as the Covid-19 pandemic wreaked havoc. Yet this rotten government wants to lock us down again. I'm convinced they want to make the vast majority dependant on grants so that they can easily dictate, if God exists, now is the time to show himself, stop this madness. Go on then, impose those VaccineMandates ... increase the numbers of People suffering on meager grants living in townships and squatter camps If you think you saw flames in JulyRiots then you haven't seen flames And the government is doing nothing to affort SAns 'main source of income'but temporary grants and claim to deliver services to them. What a shame!

Shell wins court case to start seismic surveys offshore SAA SA high court on Friday struck down an urgent application brought by environmentalists to stop oil major Royal Dutch Shell starting seismic surveys to explore for petroleum systems off the eastern seaboard's popular Wild Coast It’s never too late to start making beneficial mark, so glad taking risk and it turned out positively…thank God for encountering with lisamiabtc…it’s has been a great news ever since I came across her on twitter. Good, maybe it'll reduce the petrol price

Bekker in control of SA Open at halfway markThe new DP World Tour member followed up his 65 with a 67 on Friday.

SA officially in fourth COVID-19 waveCOVID-19 cases have been increasing rapidly in the past week driven by the more transmissible Omicron variant. Leave us alone, we are broke, depressed, suicide rates and crime are at an all time high. This is the least of our country’s problems Who cares? They not even hiding the Agenda anymore. Anyone who doesn't see this for what it is, is mentally challenged.

SA records 16,055 new COVID-19 infections, 25 deathsGauteng accounts for over 11,500 of the new cases. 💔💔😩 Tomorrow it MUST be over 20 000 or they are NOT getting that bribes. The big bosses from overseas demands that and the good boys and girls will just have to abide Lying maan