What to say to someone who's had a miscarriage:
What do you say to someone who's had a miscarriage?
sayanything to her."Nothing anyone said was going to fix anything," she said."What I wish someone would've done was come and sit with me, especially in those first few weeks. I spent a lot of time by myself and I had people I could text, but I couldn't bring it upon myself to say to someone, 'Look, I really need someone to come to my house because I'm home alone, crying in bed.'" The best thing close friends did, she explained, was show up and maybe bring dinner."That really helped," she added.
2. Don't assume a loss is being processed in a specific way:Many women internalize their miscarriages as the loss of a baby, but others do not."I'm always respectful about how people want to understand that loss for themselves," Margulies said.
3. Check in regularly:Margulies encouraged people to check in with the grieving person or couple regularly, and not to worry that you'll ruin a"good day." However, she warned, a grieving person may not be overly responsive."Say, 'You don't need to respond, but I'm here for you if you need anything,'" Margulies advised. headtopics.com
4. Avoid statements that can be misconstrued as dismissive:Dr. Jennifer Ashton, ABC News' chief medical correspondent and a board-certified obstetrician and gynecologist, said that comments like,"You can always try again," or,"You can always have another baby," can be damaging, even if they're well-intentioned."A miscarriage in any trimester is a loss, and that is incredibly emotional and painful," she said. Phrases that begin with"at least" ("At least it happened early,""At least you can get pregnant") should be avoided, too."There's no 'at least,'" said Chelsea Caris, who has experienced two early miscarriages and a second trimester loss of twins."There's no silver lining there."
5. Realize that optimism can be seen as toxic:Riggs pointed out that sometimes when people would try to act as cheerleaders, they came across as unfeeling."I found it to be so hurtful when people say, 'You're so young! It'll happen again,'" she said."It's a lot scarier trying again and people don't realize that. There's a lot of extra anxiety and stress that comes with it."
(MORE: Miscarriage and stillbirth: Everything you need to know but were too nervous to ask)6. Understand that everyone grieves differently:Aftan Sylvester said that after her miscarriage, she was told,"You just have to dust yourself off and try again.""You just don't dust things off like that," she told"Good Morning America.""Be gentle with a person, because everybody has different triggers. Know that it may not be a big deal to you, but for them it was a big deal."
7. Validate the person's feelings:"Don't feel like you need to 'fix it' or 'make it better.' Just say, 'Wow, that sounds really hard. Do you need a hug?'" Margulies said."Keep it simple: 'Is there anything I can do to support you?'" headtopics.com
8. Know that a new pregnancy won't"fix" things:Caris said becoming pregnant after her losses was fraught."We're so excited, but I still have my moments where I panic," she admitted."I'll break down and I need my husband to reassure me, like, 'Hey, it's gonna be OK, no matter what happens.' ... When you lose a child, your faith just goes out the window."
9. Ask questions:Margulies said that especially in the event of a stillbirth or later loss, it can be helpful to ask if the baby was given a name."It's a really kind thing to ask and validates that baby's life," she said."Their name matters."
10. If you've had a similar experience, try sharing it:Many women interviewed by"GMA" said that it was comforting to talk to others who had experienced pregnancy or infant loss."I really encourage women to seek out support, especially with other women who have gone through what they've gone through, so they find their tribe," Margulies said.Read more: ABC News »
American Music Awards 2021: The Full Winners List
The American Music Awards aired live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles tonight at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC. Hosted by Cardi B, the star-studded awards show featured performances from BTS with Co…
Nothing, until they say something first..... It happens to about every woman Ask what they would have named it You probably don’t even know they had a miscarriage. Because we, as women, will not announce that we are officially pregnant until after 12 weeks or so. So many people don’t know how many of us have suffered miscarriages
Liberals didn’t get you 1st Still nothin in that oven yet ay?
Pregnant Jeannie Mai Opens Up About Not Wanting Kids After Childhood Trauma and Changing Her Mind'It still scares me whether or not I can keep a kid safe from someone else who might hurt them,' says 'The Real' co-host (via toofab) TooFab I was so excited when we found out we were having a girl. Then my excitement turned to straight terror when I realized that what happened to me could also happen to her. Luckily I found a way to teach her to be safe without also terrorizing her with what could happen. TooFab For all those who are new to this working from home Bitcoin trading options Here's a little tip: Get a trusted Bitcoin expert and stick to her earn_with_Jens1 Invest and play at similar times each day. Because : In times of chaos, your investment is your anchor to success TooFab Welcometo reality you been sheltered your whole life. We can die anytime by a freak accident health issues or by someone love god and don’t fear death. Life life
Robert Durst Is on a Ventilator After Contracting COVID-19The 78-year-old New York real estate heir was sentenced life in prison without a chance of parole for the murder of Susan Berman in December 2000.
Op-Ed: The cavalry saved me, and 18 years later, I was the cavalry — with a kidney donationOp-Ed: The cavalry saved me, and 18 years later, I was the cavalry — with a kidney donation (via latimesopinion)
Outcry over woman found guilty of manslaughter after suffering miscarriageBrittney Poolaw, 21, was sentenced to four years in prison after being convicted in relation to a miscarriage she had in 2020. Japan: Hundreds protest Princess Mako's upcoming wedding to commoner in Tokyo PrincessMako KeiKomuro KayoKomuro Royalfamily Japan I cannot believe this is happening in the United States. What a fucking disgrace. Very dangerous precedent. Abortions at 17 weeks is allowed. 17 weeks isn’t a person with personhood rights. This isn’t valid regardless of the jury conviction. Prosecutors should be disbarred for arguing this case.
What To Watch (And Read) After You’ve Binged Netflix’s ‘Squid Game’As everyone who’s made it through all of Netflix’s “Squid Game” can report, there’s just something utterly compelling about getting to watch characters being put through the ringer on a… really surprised Kaiji isn't on here. Unless I scrolled right by it like an idiot I know someone who feels left out… Lolcaт
Abortion Clinic Escorts Say Protesters Are Feeling Emboldened: “I’m Fighting For My Granddaughters Now”“You never know who’s going to show up when you call 911. Nothing has ever come of it.”