Meng's lawyer, Scott Fenton, accuses the United States of having 'breached its duty to be forthright and candid.'
Meng's lawyer, Scott Fenton, accuses the United States of having"breached its duty to be forthright and candid."Huawei Chief Financial Officer, Meng Wanzhou, leaves her Vancouver home to appear in British Columbia Supreme Court, in Vancouver on September 28, 2020. (DON MACKINNON / AFP)
Chinese Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou and her lawyers have returned to a Canadian court to press for her release, arguing that the United States, by omitting key facts, blatantly misled Canada about her alleged crimes to secure her arrest.The defence started the five-day hearing on Monday by saying that the crux of the US charges against Meng - that she hid Huawei's relationship with former subsidiary Skycom in Iran from HSBC bank - is false and lacks context.
Meng's lawyer, Scott Fenton, accused the United States of having "breached its duty to be forthright and candid.""The misstatements [and] omissions in the record of the case," he told the Supreme Court of British Columbia, "go to the very heart of the fraud case."
As such, he said, the extradition proceedings should be halted.The Chinese telecom giant's chief financial officer was arrested on a US warrant in December 2018 during a stopover in Vancouver.She is charged with bank fraud linked to violations of US sanctions against Iran, and has been fighting extradition ever since.
READ MORE:Huawei CFO Meng loses key court fight against extradition to USDiplomatic riftThe case, meanwhile, has added to severe strain in Sino-US ties and created an unprecedented rift between Canada and China.Nine days after Meng's arrest, China detained former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and businessman Michael Spavor in what is widely viewed as retaliation over Meng.
Espionage charges were filed against the pair in June, soon after Meng's first legal setback, when her bid to have the case thrown out - arguing that the US accusations were not crimes in Canada - was defeated.The past nearly two years of sporadic court appearances have so far seen Meng's attorneys trade barbs with Canadian government lawyers over access to classified documents and purported violations of her rights.
READ MORE: 1st stage of Huawei exec extradition hearing endsThe Skycom connectionDespite the Covid-19 outbreak's disruptions of trials in Canada, Meng's case has proceeded by teleconference - though at a slow pace.She appeared in person on Monday for the first time in months, wearing a face mask, in accordance with public health rules.
US indictments allege that Meng and the world's largest telecoms equipment manufacturer conducted business in Iran in violation of US sanctions through Skycom.The US Justice Department says the Hong Kong-registered firm was a poorly disguised Huawei front company.
They note that Skycom employees had Huawei email addresses and badges, and that Skycom's leadership were Huawei employees - including Meng, who has admitted to serving previously on its board.Huawei also at one point owned a stake in Skycom but sold its shares to another company that the United States says also was controlled by Huawei.
READ MORE: Huawei CFO arrested in Canada for alleged trade with IranThe US alleges Meng fraudulently concealed all this from HSBC, putting the bank at risk of unknowingly violating Iran sanctions.It pointed to a presentation Meng made in 2013 to an HSBC executive after the British banking group, worried over potential Iran exposure, requested an explanation.
But Meng insists she was up-front with HSBC and its executive at the Hong Kong tea house meeting."The vast majority of what [Meng] stated to HSBC is not included in the [case] summary," Fenton said, adding that "key statements" she made to HSBC that could prove to be exculpatory were omitted.
The 48-year-old daughter of Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, he said, "put HSBC on full notice that both Huawei and Skycom were doing business in Iran.""She told them everything they needed to know to measure sanctions risk," he added, including how processing any related transactions through the US banking system could put HSBC in jeopardy.
Huawei has rejected as "unfounded" these and additional charges filed in February, accusing the company of stealing technologies from US firms.Outside the Vancouver courthouse, Huawei spokesman Alykhan Velshi said Meng would be vindicated, while accusing the Trump administration of having "fed a steady stream of fake news about Meng Wanzhou to Canadian authorities and abused the Canadian legal system."
US officials claim Huawei poses a security risk because of its links to China's government, while Beijing has accused Washington of seeking to crush Huawei.Meng remains under house arrest in Vancouver while the extradition case, which is due to wrap up in March or April 2021, is heard.Read more: TRT World »
More than 58 million Americans have already voted
President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden are racing toward Nov. 3 with more rallies and concerts on Sunday.
Huawei CFO Meng back in Canadian court fighting U.S. extradition Huawei Technologies Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou will be back in a Canadian courtroom on Monday as her lawyers resume their fight to block the United States' efforts to extradite her. Azerbaijaniaggression against NK and targeting of civilian settlements is a gross violation of international humanitarianlaw. International humanrightsorganizations must respond to all this. StopAzerbaijaniAggression ArtsakhStrong why did you crop out the ankle bracelet? Communist spy.
Here's why the US-Canada exchange rate is moving amid the pandemic - Business InsiderBusiness Insider is a fast-growing business site with deep financial, media, tech, and other industry verticals. Launched in 2007, the site is now the largest business news site on the web.
U.S., Belgium strike 'preclearance' deal for U.S.-bound air passengers in BrusselsThe United States and Belgium said on Monday they had reached an agreement that will allow U.S.-bound passengers from Brussels to undergo U.S. customs and immigration checks before departing Europe.
Judge temporarily blocks U.S. ban on TikTok downloads from U.S. app storesA U.S. judge in Washington has temporarily blocked a Trump administration order banning Apple Inc and Alphabet Inc's Google from offering Chinese-owned short video-sharing app TikTok for download that was set to take effect at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Why? China has keyloggers in it that record your passwords. This judge is either in China's pocket or woefully ill ignorant of China's predatory policies. Ban it from the app stores or don't, it doesn't matter, realistically people are still going to use it just as much so who cares These apps are only for mass alienation.
Canada Unveils Emergency $50M COVID-19 Fund for Local ProductionThe stop-gap measure follows the lack of coronavirus insurance keeping Canadian producers from resuming shuttered projects or shooting new ones amid the pandemic. OMG!!! Le Covid-19 a fait au moins un million de morts dans le monde😷🤒😱🔥⚠️ Click here to read below: covid19Canada Canada doesn't have that much of a population, Not yet. Give it time and the far leftwing will have it wall to wall with welfare newcomers. But anyway that can afford certain things because of their small population right now that is. Vancouver ❤😼
Not Gross Enough for Canada Alone, Kraft Pumpkin Spice Mac and Cheese Is Coming to the U.S.Plus, Cream of Wheat will no longer have its Black chef mascot after considering racist connotations, and more news to start your day The border is closed...keep that disgusting stuff up there. 😂🤬 Me after reading this.