These 10 Christmas plants could be toxic to your pet dog

While holly, mistletoe and Christmas trees are part of the festive season, they can be toxic to our four-legged friends.

Dogs, Pets

12/8/2021 6:40:00 AM

While holly, mistletoe and Christmas trees are part of the festive season, they can be toxic to our four-legged friends.

While holly, mistletoe and Christmas trees are part of the festive season, they can be toxic to our four-legged friends.

1. Christmas treeFirst on the list is a sight in many homes, which is the traditional tree. Usually a type of pine—if buying a real one—these may look and smell great, but the oil could harm your dog."The oils released may cause irritations in the mouth as well as stomach upset. Due to the prickly nature of the needle, these could also be hazardous to the mouth, throat and stomach if ingested," they said.

Website Pet Poison Helpline went into more detail, although it claimed the exact toxin that affects dogs has yet to be identified the fruits and leaves still cause"severe vomiting and diarrhoea when consumed."2. HollyNext on the list is holly, a common sight over winter, but its spikes can cause"irritation of the mouth, drooling, gastrointestinal upset (such as vomiting), and diarrhoea" if eaten.

While the website noted dogs can exhibit"excessive head-shaking" if they ingest a large amount of the leaf.Pet Poison Helpline explained these toxins are called saponins, methylxanthines, and cyanogens, and can be found in the English, Japanese and Chinese varieties of holly.

81-Year-Old Woman Dies After Avalon Park House Fire

3. MistletoeThe next plant to watch out for mistletoe, which typically denotes love, kisses and affection. But it's a different story for our four-legged friends,"The berries from mistletoe contain chemicals including polysaccharides, alkaloids, and lectins which are harmful to both dogs and cats. When ingested in small quantities, it can cause gastrointestinal irritation such as vomiting and abdominal pain," the pet insurance team said.

If eaten in large quantities, this plant can cause"heart rate, low blood pressure and incoordination."And there are a few varieties, as Pet Poison Website states:"There are several types of mistletoe which can be poisonous to pets: Phoradendron serotinum (American variety) and Viscum album (European variety). Berries from this holiday plant contain polysaccharides, alkaloids, and lectins."

The 10 Deadliest Dog Poisons Near Your HomeRead more4. Poinsettia plantsThese are common gifts over Christmas, due to their luscious leaves and bright red petals.But the sap it exudes contains a chemical which can cause"nausea, vomiting, drooling and diarrhoea, but also irritation in the skin, mouth and oesophagus."

CBS 2 Anchor Marie Saavedra revisits her Evanston roots

Pet Poison Helpline assured owners animals rarely require vet treatment.It said:"Signs are generally self-limiting and typically don't require medical treatment unless severe and persistent."There is no antidote for poinsettia poisoning. That said, due to the low level of toxicity seen with poinsettia ingestion, medical treatment is rarely necessary unless clinical signs are severe."

5. IvyThis plant can often make its way indoors over the festivities, used as decoration or in centerpieces.Pet owners should be wary, as the leaves can cause"severe skin irritation," while if eaten, it can also aggravate the stomach.There are numerous type of ivy, including English, poison, branching, devil's, with each variety potentially posing a risk to pets, according to Pet Poison Helpline.

6. AmaryllisThese plants also make popular presents, however they're also sold ready to go into the ground.So make a note of what you're burying if you have pets, particularly those who"like to dig," the experts warned.Unfortunately no part of the plant is safe around pets, as it all contains"toxic substances," stated.

New version of omicron reported, dubbed ‘stealth omicron’

"The plant contains similar toxins to the flowers in the Narcissus group or the Belladonna Amaryllis (the only true Amaryllis)," Pet Poison Helpline noted.A higher concentration is found in the bulb, another reason to skip planting it if you have an inquisitive pet.

"If consumed, they may experience severe gastrointestinal upsets (such as vomiting and abdominal pain), loss of appetite, lethargy and tremors," the pet insurance experts said.7. LilyThis beautiful flower is a danger to both cats and dogs, with the entirety of the plant presenting a hazard.

The website warned:"If any part of a lily is ingested (even in small quantities) this could cause severe gastrointestinal damage, which may lead to kidney failure for cats."The U.S. Food and Drink Administration (FDA) shared more information, saying:"Both lily-of-the-valley and the gloriosa or flame lily are very dangerous to cats and dogs."

It warned even the water in the vase is dangerous to animals, but cats are more susceptible to its toxins.25 Human Foods Dogs Should Never EatRead more25 Human Foods Dogs Should Never Eat8. LaurelThe laurel plant is used in cooking, commonly known as a bay leaf, so make sure not to feed your pets any dish flavored with the herb.

Other laurel plants, including cherry laurel, contain toxins in all parts of the shrub.While fine for humans, the toxic element—eugenol and other oils—is harmful to cats, dogs and warned it can cause"vomiting, abdominal pain, hypotension and in extreme cases, muscle weakness and even seizures."

9. SnowdropThis delicate white flower, often associated with Christmas time, doesn't usually bloom until spring. But it's worth being on the lookout for the flowers on wintery walks, in case there are any early blossoms.Just like other similar plants, the highest concentration of toxins is in the bulbs, although the stem and leaves also contain phenanthridine alkaloids, Pet Poison Helpline outlined.

"When ingested, they can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, incoordination as well as a drop in heart rate and blood pressure," said.10. YewThis shrub often makes its way inside over the festive period, and is often used in wreaths.

Despite its popularity, owing to its evergreen foliage and red berries,When ingested, the plant can"cause abdominal pain, vomiting, incoordination as well as a drop in heart rate and blood pressure," according to Haqqi, pet insurance expert from M, commented:"While decorative plants can add a bit of a life to your interior during winter, it's important to remember that these could present problems if consumed by your furry family members."Taking the necessary steps, such as placing plants out of reach or adding barriers will help to ensure that pets do not ingest or come into contact with them. If your four-legged friend does consume a toxic house plant, it's important to seek expert help and advice from your vet as soon as possible."

File photo of dog and a Christmas tree. Ten toxic plants that can be toxic to dogs have been revealed in the run-up to Christmas.

Read more: Newsweek »

Believe is essential I gave you my trust and you didn't break it, you are who you say you're Nichelle_1111 I'll keep letting people know about your goodness and guarantee business Nichelle_1111

Toxic toads collected by hand in Taiwan to protect pets, wildlife and humansLarge, toxic and voracious cane toads are being collected by hand in Taiwan in a bid to protect pets, wild animals and even humans on the island. What Cairo say about that Tia and how about Ms invy BRAZIL AUTHORIZES GOLD MINING IN INDIGENOUS LANDS .... THE PLANET PAYS THE BILL I thought I've lost it all with the little cash of $1,000 invest with Hendricksnino77 turn that into $146,601.43 in just 2hours you may not know him but he really save my life Hendricksnino77

What to Know Before Getting Your Kids a Pet For Christmas'They want that big surprise, and they may not necessarily think of all the ramifications of that.'

Constellation Brands plans new brewery in southeastern Mexico, report saysThe exact location of the plant in southeastern Mexico has yet to be announced.

Yep, Ariana Grande Sure Wore Heels With Her Snowsuit For Her New Christmas CollabFor their new Christmas collaboration, 'It Was A... (Masked Christmas ),' Jimmy Fallon, Ariana Grande, and Megan Thee Stallion opted for retro chic

Britney Spears 'Toxic' Gets Substitute Teacher Booted from SchoolA substitute teacher in Texas was given the boot after 'treating' his students to a karaoke version of Britney Spears ' Toxic .' Teachers can’t have. But, if you have relationships with your students, you’re off with pay. Maybe we should get rid of schools. Cost the state tons. No more bullying or school shootings. Moms can stay home with possible child tax credit or employers can have programs in place for moms/child. Teachers can pivot become..nurses Online classes as well. Reallocate funding well at least he was making school fun.. poor kids looks like they want it boring

Watch Hawaii military mom’s heartbreaking plea for answers over toxic water'Why weren't you there to protect us?' Mom of 13-month-old gives powerful speech as officials grapple with fallout from 14,000 gallon fuel spill.