Orange high school student dies after golf cart accident
After the accident at El Modena High School, the student was taken to a hospital, where he died as a result of his injuries, school officials said.
Details released Wednesday by Orange Unified School District outline how Manny, who had been diagnosed with severe autism, was with his one-on-one aide and a second aide when he got into a parked golf cart. The aides tried to persuade Manny to get out of the cart and tried to stop it as it sped forward and crashed, according to the district.
“Words are insufficient to describe the pain our students and staff are now feeling,” Supt. Gunn Marie Hansen said in a letter Tuesday to the school community. “As we take the steps necessary to support the family and student body, our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, loved ones and friends.”
“At first, they told her Manny was with some teachers and he got away from the teachers, got inside the golf cart on his own and accelerated into a brick wall where he suffered the fatal injuries,” Glassman, a trial attorney at Panish, Shea and Boyle, said Wednesday. “Later they told her that he was actually already inside the golf cart with a supervisor at the school, and the supervisor got out of the golf cart, left Manny in there by himself unsupervised with the key in the ignition, and that’s when he accelerated into the wall. Under either scenario, it’s unacceptable.”
Along with questions about what happened, the family also has concerns about how long it took Manny to receive emergency medical care.
“We are grieving the loss of our student,” Hansen said. “We are heartbroken by the tragic accident and continue to offer support and grief counseling to the family, staff and students.”
For Manny’s mother, Glassman said, “hiring a lawyer and filing a lawsuit is really about making sure we examine the policies and procedures of the school district to understand how this kind of thing happened so it doesn’t happen again to any other family. It’s very important to her and the rest of the family that this leads to some kind of change at the school so this never happens again.”Read more: Los Angeles Times
'Orange Is the New Black's' Uzo Aduba Joins 'Fargo'The Emmy winner's role on the FX anthology is her second at the cabler; she's also in the cast for limited series 'Mrs. America.' UzoAduba Nice! One can always count on NoahHawley to bring on the top-notch talent! UzoAduba chrisrock 👏👏👏👏 Yesssssssss
Orange Culture’s Adebayo Oke-Lawal Brings His Vision of Nigeria to New York CityOrange Culture’s Adebayo Oke-Lawal brings his vision of Nigeria to NYFW. Blown 🌎🌟
Ban on flavored e-cigarettes won't help youth already addicted, experts sayMore than a quarter of high school students admit to vaping. Experts in what? Flavored e-cigarettes don't kill people. People kill people. Then they'll have to get unaddicted!
Indiana priest offering confessions on a golf cart: 'I think Jesus Christ would be thrilled''Let's get out where the people are, where the students are [and] take this golf cart out and do confessions on the go,' said Father Patrick Baikauskas, who runs a campus ministry at Perdue University. is that how he chases down the caddies? God has no EGO......No Thrills Cue the haters. In coming.
Tennessee high school paints over bathroom mirrors because students were late to class'Even prisons have mirrors,' former pupil Shelby Campbell complained in a Facebook post about the issue, which attracted hundreds of comments and shares. 👏👏👏👏 to schools that put education first Amish Talk about childish!! Like that will really work. I'm sure they all have mirrors on their phones. Ridiculous! 👶👶🤦♀️
High school student has 'medical emergency' after vaping, officials sayA Houston-area high school student fell ill after vaping and was rushed to the hospital on Monday evening, officials said. Why don’t these damn kids just smoke cigarettes like we did? I don’t remember anyone ever getting rushed to the hospital when we were in high school because of smoking a Newport Wax...THC What brand(s)? Funny how if there's a problem with chicken the media and health department have no problem with naming the brand. But this they just want everyone to just stop vaping.