Kids' toys 'blown out of windows' in house explosion as hero nurses rush to help
An eyewitness says nurses living near Gorse Park leapt into action after hearing a massive bang, while a neighbour has told how 'kids' toys and clothes blew out of the windows'
An eyewitness told how healthcare workers living near Gorse Park, Ayr, leapt into action after hearing a massive bang shortly after 7pm on Monday.Officers have confirmed that two adults and two children were rushed to hospital and four houses were affected after the explosion.
A neighbour, who works in the gas industry, told how he saw hero nurses and a first aider running to the scene, Daily Record reports.He said: “I was standing at the back door, getting ready to take my dog out when I heard this massive explosion.“There were big white flashes which is what happens when there’s a large concentration of gas.
“The back door flew open so I ran round to see what had happened and the place was just covered in debris.“It’s quite a confined square where the properties are so an explosion like that just channelled the power all down into different streets.“I was telling people to stay away. Someone was trying to get a water hose but you can’t do that. headtopics.com
“There’s quite a few nurses that live in this area because the hospital is close by so I saw them all come running to help. There’s also a first aider who ran across to try and help.“There was just so much noise and commotion. You couldn’t really hear or tell if anyone was in there.
“I know one of the people who lives in one of the attached houses and looking at it, it’s going to be condemned. “I could see flames coming from where the boiler would’ve been. They’re normally in the centre of these properties and they’re surrounded by brick.
“Gas is heavier than air so it would’ve built up within the house. It’s actually blown the top of the house off and totally shredded it.“It’s a row of terraced houses so they’re all attached internally from wall to wall. So the stress ripped through the neighbouring houses too.
“The sides have come off and the inside has all fallen down.“Some of the other properties within that square have PVC front doors and windows. “They’ve just blown right in because of the force of the blast. It’s really quite scary.” The cause of the explosion is not currently known but engineers from gas distribution company SGN were at the scene with the supply switched off. headtopics.com
At least nine appliances from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were also called to attend alongside Police Scotland and the Scottish Ambulance Service.The conditions of the people taken to hospital are not currently known.Meanwhile, one neighbour described the horror she witnessed as the house next to her exploded before the blast shook her own home and smashed her windows.
A 23-year-old described being terrified as her floor shook and she saw toys and clothing being blown from her neighbour's home as it blew up. As the tremors passed through her flat, the windows were smashed and she was left dazed until police arrived to evacuate the area.
She told the Daily Record : “I stay in the flats right next to where it happened. I just felt the floor shake and the windows smashed.“I was inside and the police had to come and get us all out. I saw the house blow up and kids' toys and clothes blew out of the windows.
“Then I just ran. I’m just really shaken.”She heard screaming before emergency services arrived to help those injured.The woman said she went with family to nearby Queen Margaret’s Academy school where goods and clothing has been donated to help those affected. headtopics.com
A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "We were alerted at 7.11pm on Monday, October 18 to reports of a dwelling fire in Gorse Park Ayr."Operations Control Mobilised nine appliances and specialist resources to the scene.”
Read More Read more: Daily Mirror »
Double act teen twins search for support
Alex and Sam, who have spinal muscular atrophy, are struggling to find the support they need.
17 American Christian missionaries, including kids, are kidnapped in HaitiOFFICIALS say up to 17 US missionaries have been kidnapped by a gang in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on Saturday. A source in Haiti’s security forces told CNN that three children and 14 adults were…
Mum shares 'life-saving' place she hides snacks from kids & it's 'husband-proof'HERE are some of the things we gave up when we became mums: all sense of personal space, a full night’s sleep and the ability to watch a full movie from start-to-finish. But there’s one…
'Controlling' toilet rules in schools could see kids drop out, expert warnsCONTROLLING school rules like needing a doctor’s note to use the toilet in lessons could see kids drop out of school, an expert has warned. Psychologist Emma Kenny says it’s “bizarre” that an… I'd be telling my kids they refuse tae let them go just walk out & go tell them tae phone me & see what's fuckin said tae them teachers take the piss pun not intended trying this telling the parents what's happening nowadays that they do try that shit with me & see how far u get No one not even adults should be denied the use of the toilet, if a child at school needs to use the toilet then nothing should be in place to prevent them from using the toilet
Hero doctor tells of moment he rushed to save life of fan at Newcastle matchA DOCTOR who rushed to save the life of a football fan who collapsed during the Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur game yesterday said thousands of supporters chanted 'hero' at him.
Hero doctor Tom Pritchard reveals all about St James' Park CPRIn the clip, posted to Twitter, chants of 'hero' can be heard, while one man goes as far as to shake Dr Tom Pritchard's hand before celebrating as though a goal had been scored.