US Open will still be a proper Grand Slam despite pullouts, says Nadal
SportRafa Nadal believes this year's U.S. Open champion will still feel like a Grand Slam winner despite the tournament losing some glamour due to the withdrawal of top players amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Spaniard said on Wednesday.FILE PHOTO: Tennis - ATP 500 - Mexican Open - Princess Acapulco Stadium, Acapulco, Mexico - February 27, 2020 Spain's Rafael Nadal during his quarter final match against South Korea's Soon Woo Kwon REUTERS/Henry Romero
05 Aug 2020 09:55PMShare this contentBookmarkREUTERS: Rafa Nadal believes this year's U.S. Open champion will still feel like a Grand Slam winner despite the tournament losing some glamour due to the withdrawal of top players amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Spaniard said on Wednesday.
The hardcourt Grand Slam, which starts on Aug. 31, lost its men's defending champion in singles with Nadal deciding against travelling to New York.AdvertisementAdvertisementWomen's world number one Ash Barty also pulled out last week, worried about significant risks due to COVID-19. headtopics.com
"The tournament is still big, it's a Grand Slam," Nadal told reporters during a video conference from Spain."I am not that kind of a person, I am not that arrogant to say that the tournament in not big enough because I'm not playing.
"Of course, it will be a tournament under special circumstances but still a Grand Slam, and the winner will feel it, like a Grand Slam winner."The United States has more than 4.79 million cases of COVID-19 and more than 157,000 have died. The U.S. Open organisers (USTA) are creating a bio-secure 'bubble' in New York to hold the tournament without spectators.
AdvertisementAdvertisementNadal, a 19-times slam winner, feels there could be more withdrawals in the coming weeks but hoped the situation will evolve favourably for the tournament to be held.The Spaniard said he was not the one to judge if the decision to hold the Grand Slam amid COVID-19 was correct.
"I know my words can have repercussions. It's difficult to say if it's the right or not right decision," said the world No.2."I personally respect the positive intention and the amount of work USTA and ATP are doing to bring back our Tour. headtopics.com
"I respect and understand that there are lot of players that are in different situations than me and need to play. They need to make some money because they are facing financial problems."With the professional circuit halted since early March, Novak Djokovic organised the Adria Tour exhibition event in the Balkans but it was abandoned after several players, including the top-ranked Serb tested positive for COVID-19.
Nadal hoped lessons have been learnt from the event, which was played in front of packed stands and lacked social distancing norms."Of course there have been mistakes there," Nadal, 34, said."But all that mistakes are normal when you face situations that you didn't face before."
Following the U.S. Open, the Rome Masters is the only event currently listen on the ATP calendar before the French Open in Paris, where Nadal is also the defending champion."I don't know my schedule, honestly" he said."I don't know what's going on after the cancellation of the tournament in Madrid.
"But I will be ready, I will be preparing myself for the tournaments, for the clay in Europe. Then, when the moment arrives, I got to take my personal decision depending on the situation."(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; editing by Christian Radnedge) headtopics.comRead more: CNA »
S'pore-HK air travel bubble starts May 26, 2 daily flights capped at 200 passengers each for first 2 weeks
Tennis: Rafael Nadal to skip US Open due to COVID-19 concernsNEW YORK: World number two Rafael Nadal confirmed on Tuesday (Aug 4) that he will not defend his US Open crown this year at Flushing Meadows as ...
Tennis: Defending champion Nadal won't play US Open, slams scheduleNEW YORK (AFP) - Defending champion Rafael Nadal said on Tuesday (Aug 4) he will not play the US Open, citing concerns over the coronavirus and slamming tennis's 'barbaric' schedule.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Hong Kong: Stocks open higher on Tuesday[HONG KONG] Hong Kong stocks kicked off Tuesday with gains, tracking rises in Europe and the United States, and following a drop in the number of new infections in the city. Read more at The Business Times.
Malaysia: Shares open higher on TuesdayMALAYSIA share prices opened higher on Tuesday with the FTSE Bursa Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Composite Index up 5.00 points, or 0.32 per cent, to 1,577.61 as at 9.05am. Read more at The Business Times.
Singapore shares rise at open tracking Wall Street gains; STI up 0.6%SINGAPORE stocks opened higher on Tuesday following overnight gains on Wall Street and stronger openings from banks, partially offset by weaker openings from a few index counters. Read more at The Business Times.
Tokyo: Stocks open higher on Tuesday[TOKYO] Tokyo stocks opened higher on Tuesday, extending the rallies of the previous session as a cheap yen and gains on Wall Street supported market sentiment. Read more at The Business Times.