Fıres, Neıghbours

Fıres, Neıghbours

Town council cleaners, Grab riders commended for rescuing couple from fire in Yishun flat

Town council cleaners, Grab riders commended for rescuing couple from fire in Yishun flat

19/11/2020 9:51:00 AM

Town council cleaners, Grab riders commended for rescuing couple from fire in Yishun flat

Nee Soon Town Council chairman says he is touched by the strong community spirit shown.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Mr Easin Mohammad, 27, Mr Biswas Md Wasim, 41, and their supervisor, Mr Hossan Mohammad Saddam, 30, immediately rushed up to a flat on the fourth storey which was engulfed in flames.Using a sledge hammer one of them grabbed on the way up, the trio forced open the metal gate of the two-room flat occupied by Mr Ismail Sanif, 53, and his wife.

Covid-19: Those fully vaccinated could be allowed to travel with fewer curbs, gather in larger groups, attend mass events Shake Shack offers free fries with burger purchase to anyone who gets Covid-19 jab Five men arrested for illegally entering Singapore from western coast near Tuas

The three of them were joined shortly by four Grab riders who had heard about the fire from a chat group they were part of.With the help of a neighbour, the Grab riders managed to break down the wooden door of the flat.They were just in time to rescue Mr Ismail's wife, who was hiding from the flames in a corner of her flat, said Nee Soon Town Council chairman Derrick Goh on Facebook on Sunday.

Mr Ismail, who was halfway through a shower, had climbed onto the ledge outside his toilet to escape the fire even though he was not fully dressed.Battling the"thick smoke that blinded and choked them", the Grab riders and the neighbours took turns to help put out the fire, said Mr Goh. headtopics.com

About 40 residents evacuated themselves from the block before the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted at 9.45am to the fire.More on this topic A Nee Soon Town Council spokesman confirmed on Thursday that Mr Ismail's wife was taken to the Singapore General Hospital with burn injuries, while Mr Ismail was assessed for smoke inhalation but declined to be taken to hospital.

Commending Mr Ismail's neighbours, the town council cleaners and Grab riders for their part in the rescue, Mr Goh said he was touched by the strong community spirit in his ward, Nee Soon Link.He added that Nee Soon grassroot leaders are assisting the couple to make insurance claims and obtain emergency funds to rebuild their home.

Read more: The Straits Times »

Up to 5 persons for social gatherings from June 14; dining-in resumes from June 21 ‘if situation remains under control’

Blessings!