Tennis : Kyrgios says unlikely he would travel for French Open
BookmarkSYDNEY: Nick Kyrgios dropped a huge hint on Thursday (Aug 6) that he will skip the French Open, saying the chances of him travelling to Europe this year were"slim to none".The opinionated Australian last week pulled out of the upcoming US Open in New York due to the coronavirus pandemic, with world number two Rafael Nadal following suit.
AdvertisementAdvertisementKyrgios, ranked just 40 but a big drawcard, said he wasn't surprised by the Spaniard's decision, noting that the clay court king was likely"eyeing the French Open" in late September."And if I was to play I'd probably definitely rather go to Europe (than America) at this time of year for sure with everything going on," he added to Channel Nine television from his Canberra base.
But Kyrgios suggested that was also unlikely, casting serious doubt over his presence at Roland Garros."It's a very slim chance I'll play in Europe. Almost slim to none to be honest," he said.AdvertisementAdvertisement"I'm going to use this (time) to stay home, train, be with my family, be with my friends and I'm just going to act responsibly, and wait till I think there's better circumstances to play." headtopics.com
Kyrgios also cast doubt on next year's Australian Open, scheduled for January, as host city Melbourne battles a major outbreak that has triggered astay-at-home lockdown and curfew."I'm not too sure the Australian Open will be going ahead as it did at the start of the year with the pandemic in Melbourne," he said.
"It's sad times in Melbourne so I'm not too sure if the Australian Open will go on."Kyrgios has been vocal in his criticism of some other players during the pandemic, waginga social media battlewith top names who played at Novak Djokovic's ill-fated Adria Tour exhibition.
Djokovic, Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki all tested positive for the COVID-19 illness after the event, where social distancing was minimal and some players went nightclubbing.The Serbian world number one, Austrian Dominic Thiem, Coric and Alexander Zverev have all been in Kyrgios's firing line and he lobbed another missile, without naming any players, on Thursday.
READ: Tennis: Djokovic's event taught us to be cautious, says French Open director"Their behaviour throughout this time, I don't think has been great at all. Especially coming from some of our leaders of the sport," Kyrgios said."On top of our game they're supposed to be setting an example for the rest of the tour, and them coming back at me with behaviour that I've done on court, I mean it just shows their intellectual level to be honest. headtopics.com
"Putting lives at risk, it's not really comparable." Read more: CNA »
Visitors, long-term pass holders with recent India travel history to be barred from S’pore entry, transit
Tennis: Automated line calls will replace human judges at US Open amid coronavirus pandemicNEW YORK (NYTIMES) - Three weeks of World Team Tennis at the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia had come down to a single point on Sunday (Aug 2).. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Tennis: Rafael Nadal to skip US Open due to COVID-19 concernsNEW YORK: World number two Rafael Nadal confirmed on Tuesday (Aug 4) that he will not defend his US Open crown this year at Flushing Meadows as ...
Tennis: Defending champion Nadal won't play US Open, slams scheduleNEW YORK (AFP) - Defending champion Rafael Nadal said on Tuesday (Aug 4) he will not play the US Open, citing concerns over the coronavirus and slamming tennis's 'barbaric' schedule.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Tennis: Serena Williams, Djokovic to Play 2020 US Open in New YorkNEW YORK (BLOOMBERG) - Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams are among players that have entered the US Open to be held in New York, the United States Tennis Association said Tuesday (Aug 4).. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Tennis: Madrid Open cancelled due to Covid-19 pandemicMADRID (REUTERS) - The Madrid Open that was scheduled to take place from Sept 12-20 has been cancelled due to the rise of Covid-19 cases in the Spanish capital, organisers said on Tuesday (Aug 4).. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Tennis: US Open cuts winners' prize moneyNEW YORK (REUTERS) - US Open singles winners will receive US$850,000 (S$1.1 million) less prize money this year, the United States Tennis Association said on Wednesday (Aug 5), with first-round prize money increasing.. Read more at straitstimes.com.