Study finds people want more than watchdogs for journalists
A study of the public's attitude toward the press reveals that distrust goes deeper than partisanship and down to how journalists define their very mission. The study, released Wednesday by the Media Insight Project, a collaboration between the American Press Institute and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, suggests ways that news organizations can reach people they may be turning off now. “In some ways, this study suggests that our job is broader and bigger than we've defined it,” said Tom Rosenstiel , executive director of the American Press Institute .
AdThousands have tried but only 3% can do it! Try it yourself for freeSouth China Morning PostFormer Hong Kong lawmakers facing prosecution under national security law hit with fresh charges of contempt of Legislative CouncilTwo former opposition lawmakers currently facing prosecution under Hong Kong’s national security law were slapped with more charges on Tuesday, as prosecutors accused them of contempt of the legislature over an incident that took place when they were still members last year. Andrew Wan Siu-kin and Helena Wong Pik-wan were not required to enter pleas at their first appearance over the new case at Eastern Court on Tuesday, with the defence requesting an adjournment pending the Court of Final Appeal’s ruling on the constitutionality of a similar prosecution. The two Democratic Party members, who are among the 47 opposition politicians and activists charged with subversion over an unofficial primary election last summer, are now facing a combined total of three counts of contempt under Section 17(c) of the Legislative Council (Powers and Privileges) Ordinance, which penalises interruptions of Legco sessions.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. Wong, 62, was technically charged in two separate cases, the first for allegedly creating or joining “a disturbance which interrupted or was likely to interrupt” a Legco committee hearing on October 15 last year. She was said to have committed the offence together with fugitive ex-lawmaker Ted Hui Chi-fung, who is now in Australia. In the second case, Wong was charged alongside Wan, 51, with creating another disturbance in a separate committee meeting the next day. The legality of prosecuting lawmakers by invoking a provision designed to protect their rights has been the subject of debate in a separate case involving former legislator “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung, who was charged with the same offence for snatching a folder from a government official during a Legco sitting in 2016. The 64-year-old has applied to overturn an appellate court’s ruling that upheld the constitutionality of his prosecution. The full hearing before the top court is slated for August 31. Judiciary reveals bail decision reasons in several security law cases In Tuesday’s hearing, Principal Magistrate Peter Law Tak-chuen granted defence lawyers’ request to postpone the case to October 4, pending the determination of Leung’s appeal. He released Wan and Wong on HK$1,000 (US$129) cash bail, though Wan will remain behind bars as he was previously remanded in custody in the security law case. Wong had been granted bail in the earlier proceedings. Contempt of the Legislative Council is punishable by one year imprisonment and a fine for a first offence.This article Former Hong Kong lawmakers facing prosecution under national security law hit with fresh charges of contempt of Legislative Council first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
a day agoSouth China Sea: Can PLA learn from US Navy tactics with mini-carrier strike group?As the world’s two biggest naval fleets engage in the Indo-Pacific region, China’s People’s Liberation Army can observe and learn from the United States Navy in adapting future tactical combined operations, according to defence analysts. They said the operators of China’s Type 075 amphibious assault vessels could examine the US deployment of an amphibious-ready group (ARG) to the South China Sea which was led by the USS Makin Island landing helicopter dock (LHD) and joined the USS Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group on April 9 for exercises. The USS Makin Island is a 40,000-tonne Wasp-class amphibious assault ship able to carry a detachment of Marine F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters. The LHD and two San Antonio-class landing platform dock (LPD) amphibious transport ships – the USS Somerset and USS San Diego – as well as several helicopter and assault craft units form the Makin Island ARG.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. “The displacement size and functions of the Wasp-class LHD are similar to the PLA’s Type 075 LHD, while the San Antonio-class transport docks are similar to China’s Type 071 landing platform docks (LPD),” Hong Kong-based military commentator Song Zhongping said. Beijing-based naval expert Li Jie said the PLA would learn from the experiences of its American counterpart in turning its LHD and LPD into mini-aircraft carrier strike groups, an effective cost-saving measure. “The US has studied how to operate their ARG in a more feasible and efficient way,” Li said. “For China, the key mission of their Type 075 and Type 071 will be defending the country’s territorial sovereignty in the East and South China seas, as well as overseas interests, meaning the ARG combination is a better option than aircraft carrier strike groups.” Macau-based military observer Antony Wong Tong said deploying both LHDs and LPDs indicated the US Navy’s capacity for tactical manoeuvres and joint cooperation on the high seas. “The combination of LHD and LPD is an integrated expeditionary strike group, which is worth the PLA learning from if they are going to better deploy their Type 075 and Type 071 amphibious warships,” Wong said. Philippines, US to start two-week joint military drills amid South China Sea tensions Beijing plans to own at least six aircraft carrier strike groups by 2035, but so far it just launched two. The third is expected to be completed later this year. China has launched three Type 075 LHDs, which were designed to each carry up to 30 attack helicopters and armoured vehicles, and eight smaller Type 071 LPDs with the displacement of 25,000 tonnes. The Type 075 is the world’s third largest amphibious assault vessel behind the USS Wasp and America classes. It is bigger than Japan’s Izumo class and France’s Mistral class. However, Song said that in addition to the amphibious ships, the most powerful weapon of the Makin Island ARG were the F-35B squadrons and detachments of multi-role helicopters suited to different types of sea warfare missions. “The most challenging problem of the PLA is a lack of new-generation fixed-wing carrier-based aircraft like the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter jets,” Song said. “The F-35B helps the USS Marines grab air supremacy in both ARG operations, making its function like that of the mini-carrier strike groups … that means the US Navy owns nearly 20 carrier strike groups around the world.” To solve the current shortcomings, Song suggested the PLA install a catapult on the deck of the Type 075 LHD to upgrade the platform and allow it to operate the country’s carrier-based J-15 fighter jet. The US navy was reported to have tested the idea of smaller carriers, which would reduce the range, speed and capacity of its US$13 billion nuclear-powered supercarriers known as CVNs, but cost half as much or even less, Forbes reported in December. The ARG operation could be seen as testing a mini-carrier option, an exercise China could learn from, Song and Li said. More from South China Morning Post:China’s military tracks US warship traversing Taiwan StraitChinese Type 055 destroyer joins aircraft carrier group for first timeChinese military: fourth aircraft carrier likely to be nuclear powered, sources sayUS navy warns China ‘we’re watching you’ as destroyer shadows Liaoning carrier groupChina-Philippines Whitsun Reef dispute could get worse as US chips inThis article South China Sea: Can PLA learn from US Navy tactics with mini-carrier strike group? first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
2 days agoSouth China Morning PostHong Kong coronavirus: Scout Association headquarters in Kowloon investigated for allegedly hosting banquet with more than 100 guestsAuthorities are investigating alleged violations of coronavirus social-distancing rules at the headquarters of the Scout Association of Hong Kong in Kowloon, where a banquet of more than 100 people was held – five times greater than the legal limit. The Office of the Licensing Authority (OLA) and the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department conducted a joint investigation of the 25-storey Hong Kong Scout Centre on Austin Road in Jordan on Monday, a spokesman from the Home Affairs Department said. He said the person responsible for the centre’s clubhouse had reportedly allowed a banquet with more than 20 participants on Saturday, adding that another banquet with over 100 guests took place the same day. Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. Restaurant, bar owners angry and disappointed over requirements for lifting restrictions Existing social-distancing regulations allow for a maximum of 20 guests for the large dinners. The investigation was triggered by news reports that a former deputy Kowloon regional commissioner hosted a retirement banquet at the centre’s Chinese restaurant Yue Cuisine, which involved 34 tables with at least 100 guests on Saturday night. The spokesman urged those who attended the banquet or anyone who had details of the event to contact the Home Affairs office at 2881 7498. “Depending on the progress of the investigation, the OLA may consider further legal action, including listing the persons concerned as wanted or instigating prosecution,” he added. Hong Kong residents will be allowed to dine out in larger groups, access travel privileges under ‘vaccination bubble’ incentives The office will also continue to take stringent enforcement action and step up inspections at clubhouses in various districts. The Post has contacted the association for comment. Persons responsible for venues allowing more than 20 people at a banquet could be subject to a maximum fine of HK$50,000 and imprisonment for six months under Prevention and Control of Disease regulations. Those suspected of violating the ban on group gatherings can face a maximum fine of HK$25,000 and six months’ jail, though may also be allowed to discharge their liability by paying a fixed penalty of HK$5,000.This article Hong Kong coronavirus: Scout Association headquarters in Kowloon investigated for allegedly hosting banquet with more than 100 guests first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021. headtopics.comRead more: Yahoo Singapore »
Triad Trails: Former secret society members lead tour on Chinatown’s seedy past
SINGAPORE — Pointing to a row of shophouses along Pagoda Street leading up to Chinatown MRT Station, a heavily-tattooed man tells the group behind him that the shops used to be opium dens in the 19th century.