Ong Ye Kung orders POFMA on video of travellers from S Asia to S'pore on 5 May
Outgoing Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung on Friday (7 May) instructed the Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act (POFMA) office to issue a correction direction in response to a video circulating online purportedly showing a large group of travellers arriving from South Asia at Changi Airport this week.
AdHolen Sie sich sofort ein japanisches Küchenmesser. Machen Sie eine köstliche Mahlzeit. Bestellen Sie noch heute und erhalten Sie 50% Rabatt.South China Morning PostUS-China relations: Biden’s trade team set for first talks to discuss phase one deal
Top trade negotiators from China and the Biden administration may hold their first conversation soon to review the phase one trade deal, two sources familiar with the discussion said. “The talk at the principal level may come soon. Both sides need to review the progress of the deal and put on the table the divergence and conflicts”, said one of the sources. Katherine Tai, who was sworn in as the US Trade Representative on March 18, has held over 20 virtual meetings with her counterparts, covering all major economies apart from China.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. The last time the two biggest economies discussed the phase one deal – a two-year agreement signed in January last year that took effect one month later – was in August last year. The deal stipulates that senior level consultations take place every six months. Intellectual property protection is key to China’s development, says Xi Tai said on Wednesday that she expects to engage “in the near term” with the Chinese side, led by vice-premier Liu He, to assess the implementation of the trade deal. “It is our responsibility in the Biden-Harris administration to carry forward the relationship, where we do not shy away from being tough, but where we also know we must be fair and must be future focus-oriented,” she told an online event hosted by the Financial Times. Beijing and Washington have held talks on climate change, diplomacy and strategic topics since March, despite ongoing tensions over issues such as the South China Sea, Taiwan and human rights. Tai said last week that her office has yet to start a comprehensive review of US trade policy toward China, but she would closely monitor how China follows through on its commitments. China agreed to increase imports from the US by at least US$200 billion over the two years covered by the deal in exchange for the removal of tariffs on its exports to US, but actual purchases have fallen behind, partly due to the coronavirus pandemic. “China is expected to inform the US side of the actual procurement situation and the consultation will focus on discussing how to address the difficulties and how to put forward the deal for the rest of the year”, said Lu Xiang, a senior researcher on China-US relations with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. “Bilateral trade has spiked so far this year, but there are still difficulties in fully making up for the shortfall last year. Both sides, especially the US, need to show the utmost sincerity in cooperation,” said Lu. “We will be outspoken on problems but also stick to cooperation. The deal is not perfect for either side, and now it is time for the US to propose solutions”. In a report released last Friday, the US Trade Representative admitted China had improved its intellectual property protections but those steps “fall short of the full range of fundamental changes needed to improve the IP landscape in China”. No time for talking on US-China trade deal in Biden’s first 100 days Beijing has repeatedly urged the US to roll back its punitive tariffs on Chinese products and called on the American business community to push Washington to remove the tariffs. But US officials, including Tai, have said the tariffs will remain in place for now. “The situation when the deal was signed was altered dramatically by the pandemic. Exchanges have been reduced, and service trade – such as students and tourism – are unlikely to return to pre-pandemic levels”, said one of the sources. Chinese observers have said the purchase targets in the phase one deal are unrealistically high and expect the deal to disappear over time. Shi Yinhong, a professor at international relations with Renmin University, said it’s not “too much of a problem” for China to continue buying US products as long as China has the purchasing ability and it does need meat, grains and energy products. He noted that Tai has expressed concerns over China’s intellectual property protection practices, but he does not expect there to be a serious disagreement over the topic. “At most China will say we are doing a good job and the US will say China is not doing a good job, but China will also accept the request to strengthen the protection of intellectual property rights,” he said. However, Shi said tensions over trade are less serious than other conflicts. “So even if there is less of a clash on trade, it will not make the overall US-China relationship significantly better. Even if the talk between Liu and Tai goes well, it will not have a significant impact on the overall situation,” he said. Lu also noted that the heightened political hostility against China in the US and said that security and political considerations would have an impact on trade decisions. US-China trade deal: Washington unlikely to relent on Beijing’s commitments Wang Huiyao, president of the Centre for China and Globalisation, a Beijing think tank, said this is an opportunity for both sides to talk about trade. “It is really hard to get rid of this tariff and that’s probably the concern of the Chinese side as well. On the US side, all the companies are paying a big price for that, which is not good for the US economy. “When President Trump was doing that, he was trying to help farmers. But of course, what the Biden administration wants is more about IP protections, market-entry, equal market access and so on,” he said. Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said on Thursday that both China and the US can benefit from economic and trade ties, and their differences should be resolved on an equal basis. Additional reporting by Catherine WongMore from South China Morning Post:US Trade Representative Katherine Tai says she expects to meet Chinese counterpart Liu He ‘in the near term’Why China’s intellectual property protection matters to Beijing and WashingtonUS efforts to rally allies may not sway China, says Joe Biden’s top Asia officialThis article US-China relations: Biden’s trade team set for first talks to discuss phase one deal first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
a day agoHong Kong national security police search new Chickeeduck outlet over display evoking banned protest sloganHong Kong national security police on Thursday searched a newly opened shop in Tsuen Wan where a graffiti-style display emblazoned over the entrance appeared to evoke a banned protest slogan. The shop was an outlet of the children’s clothing chain Chickeeduck, which has previously found itself tangled in political controversy – as well as disputes with its landlords – over its display of statues honouring anti-government protesters at other locations. The brand’s founder, Herbert Chow Siu-lung, said he was at the shop when officers went there to serve a search warrant at about 4pm, while members of the Police Tactical Unit stood guard outside.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. Officers left soon after 6pm without making any seizures or arrests. Chow characterised the operation as an effort to spread “white terror”, adding he was “not scared”. K11 Musea becomes latest mall to sue Chickeeduck over ‘Lady Liberty’ display A police spokesman confirmed officers carried out the search after receiving a report about an alleged violation of the national security law, adding no arrests had been made. Another police source said the raid was focused on the jumbled, graffiti-style writing over the outlet’s front door, in which the slogan “Liberate Hong Kong; revolution of our times” could be made out. The slogan, a common refrain during 2019’s anti-government protests, has since been declared by authorities to be a violation of the Beijing-imposed security law, which bans acts of secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. Even though no arrests were made and nothing was seized, the source said the raid served as a “warning”. The police action came on the heels of reports about the shop in pro-Beijing media. The Tsuen Wan store also displayed a larger-than-life statue of a protester wearing a helmet, goggles and a respirator, and holding aloft a plush duckling. A previous version of the statue displayed at other Chickeeduck outlets depicted a similarly attired protester holding an umbrella in one hand and a black flag in the other, also bearing the slogan: “Liberate Hong Kong; revolution of our times”. Controversy over the earlier statue forced a Chickeeduck outlet to move last year after the management of the D-Park shopping centre in Tsuen Wan demanded the store remove it, later asking the business to vacate the premises entirely. The display reappeared at the tmtplaza mall in Tuen Mun, where it again drew the ire of the landlord. It was subsequently moved to New Town Plaza in Sha Tin, which also asked the shop there to take it down. Last September, shopping mall K11 Musea in Tsim Sha Tsui became the latest to take legal action against Chickeeduck, accusing it of a breach of its tenancy agreement over the display.This article Hong Kong national security police search new Chickeeduck outlet over display evoking banned protest slogan first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021. headtopics.com
a day agoSouth China Morning PostHang Seng Bank’s chief executive to take three-month leave of absence as she recovers from medical conditionHang Seng Bank’s vice-chairman and chief executive officer Louisa Cheang Wai-wan will take a three-month leave of absence as she recovers from a medical condition first disclosed last year, according to a statement by the lender. Margaret Kwan Wing Han, executive director and the head of Hang Seng’s wealth and personal banking business, will serve as acting CEO during her absence, the bank said in a stock exchange filing. Shares of Hang Seng Bank declined by as much as 1 per cent amid an advancing market in Hong Kong. The bank, which is 62.14 per cent owned by HSBC, the biggest of Hong Kong’s currency-issuing lenders, announced Cheang was undergoing treatment for a “recently diagnosed medical condition” last July, without elaborating.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. Hang Seng did not disclose further details of her condition at the time, but said Cheang was able to continue her duties. The bank said at the time that her condition would not affect its strategic or development plans. People familiar with the situation previously said that her illness was not Covid-19 and she was not expected to take a lengthy sick leave. Cheang, a former HSBC executive, has served as Hang Seng’s vice-chairman and CEO since July 2017. She took the top job after the retirement of Rose Lee Wai-mun. Before joining Hang Seng she was group general manager and group head of retail banking at HSBC from 2014. She first joined HSBC in 1999 in its credit card department. Cheang’s leave of absence comes just weeks before independent director Irene Lee Yun Lien is expected to become the bank’s first woman to serve as chairman, replacing Raymond Ch’ien Kuo Fung, who is retiring after 13 years to devote time to his other commitments and interests. Lee’s appointment is expected to happen at the bank’s annual meeting on May 26. It also comes just months after Hang Seng reported a 33 per cent drop in profit to HK$16.7 billion in 2020, as the coronavirus pandemic weighed on investments and spending activity in Hong Kong, cutting into transaction volumes by its commercial and retail customers. The city’s economy rebounded sharply in the first quarter, growing by 7.8 per cent after reporting its worst contraction on record in 2020. Hong Kong’s lenders are also dealing with a period of historically low interest rates, which has weighed on revenue from traditional lending products tied to interest rates. Kwan, the acting CEO, has been with Hang Seng since 1995, joining from Standard Chartered Bank. She previously served as head of consumer assets, head of unsecured loans and senior marketing, as well as a stint as business development manager for unsecured lending.This article Hang Seng Bank’s chief executive to take three-month leave of absence as she recovers from medical condition first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.Read more: Yahoo Singapore »
California teen shoves bear to protect dogs in viral video
Netizens Are So Desperate For A New Pic Of Son Ye Jin & Her Boyfriend Hyun Bin, They Got Really CreativeNot me. Whether their relationship can last remains to be seen. The chemistry spark don't last forever. After the chemistry phase is over comes the commitment phase. If they can't commit, they will split. Being friends is the wiser choice.
“Singapore’s Most Eligible Bachelor” Thomas Ong ‘Proposes’ To His Ex-Girlfriend Sharon Au…’s Cat
Maldives bans South Asia travellers as COVID-19 cases soarMALE: The Maldives on Wednesday (May 12) banned travellers from across South Asia in a bid to contain surging COVID-19 infections despite having ... Like in Singapore... Just too late
CAAS debunks video showing flight from South Asia to Changi Airport on 5 MayThe Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore on 6 May debunked a video posted on social media that reportedly showed a group of passengers arriving from South Asia at Changi Airport Terminal 1 a day earlier.