North Korea unlikely to mourn 'war maniac' Bolton, but US task no easier
WASHINGTON (REUTERS) - Among those unlikely to be mourning Mr John Bolton's departure as US President Donald Trump's national security adviser are officials in North Korea who have denounced him as a 'war maniac' and 'human scum' for his attempts to end Pyongyang's nuclear programme.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Policy analysts say Mr Bolton's departure could help US efforts to revive the talks but will not make Washington's aim of persuading Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons any easier.
Mr Harry Kazianis, a North Korea expert at Washington's Centre for the National Interest think tank, said Mr Trump was now free to find a national security adviser opposed to wars of regime change and willing to back a diplomatic track with North Korea.
North Korea's official media has repeatedly denounced US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and urged Mr Trump to replace him with a"more mature" interlocutor. Last month it called Mr Pompeo a"diehard toxin" who only complicated talks.
"These have been the president's policies. We give him our best wisdom, we share with him our understanding ... but I don't think that any leader around the world should make any assumption that because some one of us departs that President Trump's foreign policy will change in a material way," Mr Pompeo said.
All that nearly fell apart in Hanoi when Mr Trump followed Mr Bolton's advice and handed Mr Kim a piece of paper that bluntly called for the transfer of Pyongyang's nuclear weapons and bomb fuel to the United States.
Regardless of Mr Bolton's departure, Washington has given no indication that it will soften its demand for North Korea's ultimate denuclearisation, even though with Mr Bolton gone, the risky all-or-nothing gambit is unlikely to be repeated.Read more: The Straits Times
U.S. hopes for North Korea talks in days, weeks: PompeoThe United States hopes to get back to denuclearization talks with North Korea in the coming days or weeks, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday. Negotiations aimed at dismantling Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programs have stalled since the collapse of a second summit between U.S. President
North Korea willing to resume talks with US in late September: KCNASEOUL: A senior North Korea n diplomat said on Monday (Sep 9) that Pyongyang is willing to restart talks with the United States in late September ...
North Korea willing to resume talks with US in late September: State mediaSEOUL (REUTERS) - A senior North Korea n diplomat said on Monday (Sept 9) that Pyongyang is willing to restart talks with the United States in late September that have stalled since a failed summit in February.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
North Korea says willing to hold talks with US in September[SEOUL] Nuclear-armed North Korea said on Monday it is willing to resume talks later this month with the United States, after a standstill in the denuclearisation process since the collapse of a February summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un. Read more at The Business Times.
North Korea fires two unidentified projectiles: South Korean militarySEOUL: North Korea fired two unidentified projectiles on Tuesday morning (Sep 10) from South Pyongan province towards the east, South Korea's ...
North Korea fires two unidentified projectilesSouth Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the projectiles fired from North Korea 's South Pyongan province flew towards the waters off its east coast. . Read more at straitstimes.com.