New sales in Singapore life insurance sector drop 13% in H1: LIA
THE Covid-19 pandemic and the ongoing recession took a toll on insurance sales in Singapore in the first six months this year. Read more at The Business Times.
Tell us what you think. Email us firstname.lastname@example.orgNonetheless, sales of single-premium policies rose, with weighted single premiums rising 17 per cent year on year to S$622.9 million. Some 16 per cent came from CPF Investment Scheme-included products, while cash-funded products accounted for 84 per cent.
More short-term single-premium products were sold in tranches during the half year, as these products are easy to understand and do not require medical underwriting, LIA said. As such, representatives were able to bring customers through the sales process electronically and close sales despite the challenging situation, it added.
Total sum assured for the industry rose 1 per cent year on year, amounting to S$65.7 billion in H1 2020.Said LIA president Khor Hock Seng:"Since the beginning of the Covid-19 outbreak in Singapore, the life insurance sector has and continues to work closely with the relevant authorities to ensure Singaporeans receive the protection they need during this challenging period." Some support measures he cited include allowing headtopics.com
premium payments to be deferred up to six months, as well as complimentary access to telemedicine services.Meanwhile, there was a 36 per cent year-on-year decrease in the uptake of retirement policies, which provide regular payouts during policyholders' retirement years. This reverses the upward trend in recent years, LIA said. A total of 16,582 retirement policies were purchased as at end-June, down from 25,757 policies last year.
For health insurance, Integrated Shield plans (IPs) remained a significant component. As at June 30, there were 51,000 more Singaporeans and permanent residents covered by IPs and riders which provide coverage on top of MediShield Life, compared to a year ago.
New business premiums for individual health insurance totalled S$173 million for the first six months of the year. IPs and IP rider premiums made up 87 per cent of this amount, while the remaining 13 per cent comprised other medical plans and riders.In addition, the life insurance industry continued to expand its workforce during the January-to-June period. Employment rose by 4 per cent year on year with 368 new hires, reaching a workforce of 8,650 employees as at end-June. Recruitment was focused on the expansion of distribution and sales teams, as well as project and product management roles, LIA said.
Separately, for the second quarter this year, new business in terms of total weighted premiums sank 33 per cent to S$695.1 million. Sales of annual-premium policies halved to S$365.6 million, while sales of single-premium policies rose 7 per cent to S$329.5 million. headtopics.com
Looking ahead, Mr Khor said that life insurers need to accelerate their digitalisation efforts as these are crucial to maintain business continuity, optimise efficiency, and improve customer servicing standards, among other things.BT is now on Telegram!Read more: The Business Times »
Singapore sees ‘several important lessons’ from Tan Tock Seng Hospital COVID-19 cluster
SINGAPORE: Singapore has learnt 'several important lessons' from the COVID-19 cluster at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), among them - that the ...
Axa weighs sale of Singapore business to raise cashAxa SA is considering a sale of its Singapore business as it seeks to raise funds divesting peripheral operations, according to people familiar with the matter.
Singapore's refining sector shows some recovery in July: RefinitivSINGAPORE'S refining sector has finally shown some recovery in July, as the Republic's three refineries hit full operable capacity for the first time since February 2020 at 1.315 million barrels per day. Read more at The Business Times.
AXA weighs sale of Singapore business to raise cash[SINGAPORE] AXA is considering a sale of its Singapore business as it seeks to raise funds divesting peripheral operations, according to people familiar with the matter. Read more at The Business Times.
French insurer Axa weighs sale of Singapore business to raise cashSINGAPORE (BLOOMBERG) - Axa is considering a sale of its Singapore business as it seeks to raise funds divesting peripheral operations, according to people familiar with the matter.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
188 new Covid-19 cases in Singapore, including 1 in the community and 12 importedSINGAPORE - There were 188 new coronavirus cases confirmed as of Monday noon (Aug 10), taking Singapore's total to 55,292.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Singapore reports 188 new COVID-19 infections, including 12 imported casesSINGAPORE: Singapore reported 188 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday (Aug 10), taking the national total to 55,292. In an update on Monday ...