Motor Neurone Disease, University Of Sheffield, Causal Relationship, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, Exercise, Stephen Darby

Motor Neurone Disease, University Of Sheffield

Motor neurone disease linked to 'vigorous exercise': UK study

Motor neurone disease linked to 'vigorous exercise': UK study

11/6/2021 1:57:00 PM

Motor neurone disease linked to 'vigorous exercise': UK study

Frequent strenuous exercise increases the risk of developing motor neurone disease for those genetically predisposed to the illness, according to research published on Friday.

High-profile sportsmen to have developed MND include Scotland rugby union international Doddie Weir, footballer Stephen Darby and late South African rugby World Cup winner Joost van der Westhuizen."We have suspected for some time that exercise was a risk factor for MND, but until now this link was considered controversial," said Johnathan Cooper-Knock of the University of Sheffield.

Malaysians stage anti-government protest despite COVID-19 curbs 117 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Singapore, including 42 unlinked infections Commentary: Singapore sports must learn lessons from Schooling's decline

"This study confirms that in some people, frequent strenuous exercise leads to an increase in the risk of MND."It is important to stress that we know that most people who undertake vigorous exercise do not develop MND.""The next step is to identify which individuals specifically are at risk of MND if they exercise frequently and intensively, and how much exercise increases that risk," he added.

The neurodegenerative condition, which affects around 5,000 people in Britain, hinders messages sent from the brain to muscles in the body, causing them to waste away.Around 10 percent of cases are inherited, "but the remaining 90 per cent are caused by complex genetic and environmental interactions which are not well-understood," said the British university. headtopics.com

Read more: Yahoo Singapore »

Beds at Tokyo Olympic Village built to hold 200kg, can take 9 athletes’ weight

Half of UK fans betting on French victory in Euro 2020, says gaming firm EntainAlmost half of British soccer fans have joined peers across Europe in placing wagers on France to lift the Euro 2020 trophy, Entain said on ...

US, UK leaders expected to work to reopen travelU.S. President Joe Biden and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson are expected to agree to work to open up travel between the two countries 'as ...

Biden arrives in UK for G7 summit, part of 8-day Europe tripUS President Joe Biden arrived in Britain on Wednesday (Jun 9) on his first trip abroad since taking office, an eight-day mission to rebuild ...

Government ‘dragging feet’ on China forced labourBritish MPs said the government is 'dragging its feet' in taking action against UK companies linked to the use of forced labour in China's Xinjiang region. hahhaahaaaa

China defends cultural links with Japan amid online nationalist furyThe Chinese foreign ministry defended the value of cultural exchanges with Japan on Wednesday after Chinese intellectuals came under heavy attack ... Being cancer-stricken and begging CPF Board to repay overdue debt; that which in any case cannot be done as the money had been commingled and funneled to private entity Temasek Holdings for Ho Ching to wager on unviable, untenable and ultimately, invariably doomed gambles Another CCP MO. Bro her bro there. Who want bro bro with criminals.

Are women really bad drivers? How did we get this unfortunate reputation?Women and their questionable competence behind the wheel: CNA Luxury’s resident motoring journalist Jamie Nonis attempts to debunk the trope – she’s tired of it. I believe it's through statistics and research that we've come to the conclusion that women are bad drivers. I think it takes years to build a reputation. This is of course nonsense. Men can be as bad drivers too.