Mma, Ufc, Conor Mcgregor, Dustin Poirier, Khabib Nurmagomedov

Mma, Ufc

MMA: Hurt and heartbroken McGregor ponders future after UFC 257 knockout shock

MMA: Hurt and heartbroken McGregor ponders future after UFC 257 knockout shock

24/1/2021 1:10:00 PM

MMA : Hurt and heartbroken McGregor ponders future after UFC 257 knockout shock

Conor McGregor admitted he was 'heartbroken' on Sunday (Jan 24) after a shock UFC knockout by underdog Dustin Poirier left the superstar's future ...

"It's hard to take," Irishman McGregor told a post-fight news conference.AdvertisementAdvertisement"(It's) the highest highs and the lowest lows in this game. I don't know where I'm at, at the minute, to be honest," said the biggest drawcard in mixed martial arts.

SAF’s Pes revamp timely, say NSmen who felt constrained by old system Johor state govt to propose travel bubble with Singapore to allow entry to those who have been vaccinated Govt considering new laws against harmful online content; 'not every platform puts society's interests first', says Josephine Teo

The 32-year-old McGregor had been an overwhelming favourite to register a winning return after a year away from the octagon.But Poirier (27-6), who lost in 109 seconds to McGregor in their first fight in 2014, used a lower leg kicking strategy to negate his opponent's stand-up style.

The American then launched a sustained barrage of blows to the head culminating in a straight right dropping McGregor to the floor moments before the fight was stopped two minutes and 32 seconds into the second round.AdvertisementAdvertisement"I have no excuse. It was a phenomenal performance from Dustin. It's a bitter pill to swallow," said McGregor, who hobbled onto the stage with the help of a crutch and revealed his calf had blown up"like an American football". headtopics.com

The unexpected defeat left many MMA fans wondering what will be next for McGregor, who will face questions about his future in the sport.MCGREGOR MOCKEDThe loss will scupper any possible rematch with Russian Khabib Nurmagomedov, the unbeaten UFC lightweight champion who has now retired.

AdvertisementNurmagomedov's submission victory over McGregor in 2018 set an all-time record for UFC pay-per-view (PPV) numbers with 2.4 million buys.The Russian was quick to mock McGregor on social media after Sunday's fight."This is what happened, when you change your team, leave the sparring partners who made you a champion and sparring with little kids, far away from reality," tweeted the Russian.

UFC boss Dana White said Sunday's UFC 257 was tracking to be among the top three PPVs in history, with all featuring the wildly popular McGregor.But the defeat may mean McGregor now explores other avenues, such as a money-spinning boxing match against the Philippines' great Manny Pacquiao.

McGregor fought retired unbeaten boxing great Floyd Mayweather in 2017, earning an estimated US$30 million in a blockbuster crossover bout.McGregor deflected questions about the possibility of a fight against the eight-weight world champion, saying he was more concerned with healing his damaged leading right leg. headtopics.com

Vivian Balakrishnan calls on Myanmar to stop using lethal force, immediately release Aung San Suu Kyi and other detainees Philippines reports first cases of COVID-19 South African variant Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi seen in court for the first time since coup

"I'll regroup," said McGregor."I'll pick myself up, get up off the floor and go again. I'll keep my head high."Pacquiao had wished McGregor luck on social media ahead of and tweeted afterwards:"Beautiful thing about the fight game, anything can happen! Congrats to @DustinPoirier Huge win! #UFC257."

There was still time though for one last flash of McGregor's old brashness, before he limped away, when he was told of Nurmagomedov's mocking social media posts."That's the character of the man for sure, behind the mask," McGregor snapped back.

"If he wants to have his disrespectful comments, come back and let's go again." Read more: CNA »

Actor Terence Cao charged with breaching Covid-19 laws over birthday party held at his condo unit

SINGAPORE — Mediacorp actor Terence Cao was charged on Tuesday (March 2) with flouting Covid-19 safe distancing rules over a birthday party held at his condominium unit last October.