You already know that forgetting to brush your teeth can result in cavities, but a new study in mBio says that it can also age your mouth’s microbiome—after just 24 hours. “Most adults experience episodes of gingivitis, which can progress to the irreversible, chronic state of periodontitis, yet roles of plaque in gingivitis onset and progression to periodontitis remain elusive,” wrote the authors, who found that “gingivitis development accelerates oral microbiota aging by over 1 year within 28 days” of not brushing and “rapid and consistent alterations in plaque microbiota, metabolites, and salivary cytokines emerged as early as 24 to 72 h after oral-hygiene pause, defining an asymptomatic suboptimal health.” Read on to see what else they found—and to ensure your health and the health of others, don't miss these Sure Signs You've Already Had Coronavirus. The “Good Oral Bacteria ” in Your Mouth Dies Off After 24 HoursThe piece was published in The American Society for Microbiology. “A new study shows that within 24-72 hours of the interruption of oral hygiene, there was a steep decrease in the presence of 'good oral bacteria ' and the beneficial anti-inflammatory chemicals they are associated with. An increase of 'bad bacteria' typically present in the mouths of patients with periodontitis, a severe gum disease which can lead to tooth damage or loss, was also discovered,” according to a release from the Chinese Academy of Sciences Headquarters. 'We also found a sudden 'aging' of the bacteria in the mouth,' said XU Jian, Director of Single-Cell Center at QIBEBT and senior author of the study. 'Their oral microbiome had aged the equivalent of about a year in less than a month.''After only 28 days of gingivitis, we found the study participants had the 'oral microbial age' of those a year older,' said HUANG Shi, one investigator leading this study. RELATED: The Easiest Way to Avoid a Heart Attack, Say DoctorsThis Could Have Worldwide ImplicationsThe findings in full are im
AdOnly 3% of people can do this! Click to try it yourselfThe WrapChris Harrison Won’t Return as Host for ‘The Bachelorette’Former Bachelorettes Tayshia Adams and Kaitlyn Bristowe will step in for Chris Harrison as co-hosts of the upcoming season of “The Bachelorette,” ABC and Warner Horizon said in a joint statement on Friday. “Chris Harrison will not be hosting the next season of ‘The Bachelorette,'” the studio and network said. “We support Chris in the work that he is committed to doing. In his absence, former Bachelorettes Tayshia Adams and Kaitlyn Bristowe will support the new Bachelorette through next season. As we continue the dialogue around achieving greater equity and inclusion within ‘The Bachelor’ franchise, we are dedicated to improving the BIPOC representation of our crew, including among the executive producer ranks. These are important steps in effecting fundamental change so that our franchise is a celebration of love that is reflective of our world.” The announcement comes as Harrison’s future as the face of the “Bachelor” franchise remains the subject of much speculation. The host temporarily stepped aside from the program last month after fans called into question the show’s handling of race and criticized Harrison for an interview with former “Bachelorette” star Rachel Lindsay in which he appeared to defend a contestant’s racist actions. Emmanuel Acho was later tapped to replace him for the upcoming live “Bachelor” season finale and “After the Final Rose” special. Also Read: Chris Harrison Plans to Return as 'Bachelor' Host But Says 'Much More Work to Be Done' (Video) Harrison has apologized for the interview, saying he is “dedicated to getting educated on a more profound and productive level than ever before.” “I also apologize to my friend Rachel Lindsay for not listening to her better on a topic she has a first-hand understanding of, and humbly thank the members of Bachelor Nation who have reached out to me to hold me accountable. I promise to do better,” he said. Whether or not Harrison will return to the franchise down the road remains unclear, but Harrison has expressed a desire to return. “I plan to be back, and I want to be back,” he said in a recent interview on “Good Morning America.” “This interview is not the finish line. There is much more work to be done and I’m excited to be a part of that change.” Read original story Chris Harrison Won’t Return as Host for ‘The Bachelorette’ At TheWrap
7 hours agoCinemark Theatres to Begin Reopening March 13 in Los AngelesCinemark Theatres will begin to open its more than 10 theatres in the Los Angeles area on Saturday, March 13 and continue through Monday, March 15, when nearly 90% of its domestic circuit will be open, the chain announced Friday. “Cinemark is thrilled to once again offer Los Angeles movie lovers the chance to see a movie on our big screens with sight and sound technology that truly cannot be replicated at home,” Cinemark CEO Mark Zoradi said. “Los Angeles is one of the most meaningful moviegoing markets in the world, and we look forward to providing moviegoers the entertainment experience they have been craving with the health and safety protocols they can trust. With an extensive list of blockbusters set to release in the coming months and nearly 90 percent of our U.S. circuit open, there is no better time to get back to the theatre.” With the addition of the L.A. market, nearly 90% of Cinemark’s domestic circuit will be open by March 15. All theaters, of course, will meet enhanced cleaning and safety protocols, which they outline as the following: Also Read: COVID Killed Theaters' 90-Day Exclusivity on New Movies - What Comes Next? Each auditorium is extensively disinfected between showtimes with products identified by the EPA to be effective in eliminating COVID-19. Theatres have staggered showtimes and limited capacities to maximize physical distancing. Seat-Buffering Technology automatically blocks seats adjacent to a party upon ticket purchase. Face masks are mandatory for all guests within the theatre and may only be removed for eating and drinking in the auditoriums. Face masks are required for all employees. All public and high-touch spaces are thoroughly sanitized frequently. Ample supplies of seat wipes and hand sanitizer are available for customer use. Guests are encouraged to purchase tickets online and use contactless payment methods for a more contact-free experience. With that, cash payments options will be limited. Cinemark’s advanced, three-point air quality standard is designed to deliver an abundant supply of fresh outdoor air, maintain optimal circulation and eliminate pollutants. Increased fresh-air rate. Cinemark is substantially raising the fresh-air rate of building HVAC systems by constantly utilizing supply fans to increase the total volume of fresh, outside air flowing into theatres. Smart-flow air circulation design. Each auditorium within the theatre has its own HVAC system, which consistently diffuses fresh air from the ceiling down toward the floor where it is then returned to the filtration equipment, constantly refreshing the air. Elimination of pollutants. Cinemark utilizes MERV filters in its HVAC systems to capture the majority of particles and pollutants. Read original story Cinemark Theatres to Begin Reopening March 13 in Los Angeles At TheWrap
7 hours ago‘The Talk’ Under Internal Review Amid Sharon Osbourne Racism ControversyCBS is currently reviewing “all matters” related to Sharon Osbourne’s defense of Piers Morgan on “The Talk” this week and the subsequent backlash. “We are committed to a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace. All matters related to the Wednesday episode of ‘The Talk’ are currently under internal review,” the network said in a statement Friday. Osbourne came under fire earlier this week after her public defense of longtime friend Piers Morgan led to an on-air meltdown and an emotional conversation with co-host Sheryl Underwood about race on Wednesday. Also Read: Sharon Osbourne Apologizes for Defending Piers Morgan: 'I Panicked, Felt Blindsided, Got Defensive' In the run-up to the episode, Osbourne voiced support for Morgan on social media after the “Good Morning Britain” commentator was called out for his disparaging statements about Meghan Markle. Osbourne then said on-air that she felt as though she was “about to be put in the electric chair because I have a friend who many people think is a racist, so that makes me a racist.” She further pushed back when Underwood, who is Black, attempted to explain how Morgan’s treatment of Markle could be interpreted as racist and sexist. “When you have heard him say racist things?” Osbourne exclaimed. “Educate me! Tell me!” Also Read: Piers Morgan Demands Apology From 'The Talk' for 'Disgraceful Slurs' Against Him Osbourne later apologized in a lengthy statement on Twitter, writing, “I panicked, felt blindsided, got defensive & allowed my fear & horror of being accused of being racist take over.” “Please hear me when I say I do not condone racism, misogyny or bullying,” she wrote. “I should have been more specific about that in my tweet. I will always support freedom of speech, but now I see how I unintentionally didn’t make that clear distinction.” For his part, Morgan said Osbourne was “shamed and bullied” into walking back her comments and called for an apology from the other “The Talk” co-hosts on behalf of himself, citing their “disgraceful slurs against ME.” Read original story ‘The Talk’ Under Internal Review Amid Sharon Osbourne Racism Controversy At TheWrap headtopics.comRead more: Yahoo Singapore »
Singapore sees ‘several important lessons’ from Tan Tock Seng Hospital COVID-19 cluster
SINGAPORE: Singapore has learnt 'several important lessons' from the COVID-19 cluster at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), among them - that the ...
24 new COVID cases in Singapore, all imported for 3rd straight dayThe Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed 24 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore on Tuesday (6 April), taking the country's total case count to 60,519.
24 new COVID cases in Singapore, all importedThe Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed 24 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore on Tuesday (6 April), taking the country's total case count to 60,519
24 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore, all importedSINGAPORE: There were 24 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore as of noon on Tuesday (Apr 6), the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in its preliminary daily ...
24 new Covid-19 infections in Singapore, all imported
France reports 50,659 new COVID-19 cases over 24 hoursFrance reported 50,659 new coronavirus cases on Thursday (Apr 1), against 59,038 on Wednesday (Apr 1) and 45,641 reported on Thursday a week ago, ... Hang in there France!
Swimming: New Sun Yang hearing set for May 24-28, says sports courtThe Court of Arbitration for Sport said on Thursday (Apr 1) that a new hearing for Sun Yang, the Chinese swimming star who had an eight-year ban ...