'Fortnite' app removal threatens social lifeline for young gamers
NEW YORK/BENGALURU (REUTERS) - A YouTube alert interrupted Jack Erricker's schoolwork on Friday morning (Aug 14) as he and kids all over the world woke up to the news that their favourite game, Fortnite, had been taken down from Apple 's Store and Google Play store.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
"It's basically the only game I play," said Jack, an 11-year-old in Bengaluru, India, an avid Fortnite player on his Apple iPad."I'm not happy, I don't think it's a good move."Fortnite, which has attracted more than 350 million players globally, is especially popular among younger gamers and has become one of the few lifelines to the outside world for children stuck at home during the coronavirus pandemic.
Unable to play outside, children are spending hours with friends chit-chatting and fighting on Fortnite, which is free to play and available on nearly all devices.Apple and Alphabet's Google on Thursday removed Fornite from their app stores for violating in-app payment guidelines, and the news spread rapidly among children who are otherwise too young to get headlines off CNN, the BBC or the New York Times.
Removal means no new players can download the game and the app will not receive updates from the store.But the game will continue to work for now for those who already have it.Calum Jack, an eight-year-old from London, heard the Fortnite news from friends in Asia as soon as he woke up at 6am. The topic was"all over YouTube", he said. headtopics.com
He is online up to 10 hours a day, playing, building or just chatting with up to 20 friends as far apart as Canada and India.Fortnite and other online games have been Calum's main social outlet since coronavirus lockdowns closed schools across the world in March.
"It's been very important since we've been on holiday. We play all the time," he said.Fortnite-owner Epic Games has challenged Apple's policy of taking a cut of purchases made inside the app by allowing users to pay Epic directly at a cheaper price.
The financial ramifications of the move were apparent even to young gamers."Epic was cutting into Apple's profit margins," said Zoraan Kunnel, 13, of Bengaluru, India.On Thursday, Epic released a video within Fortnite, on YouTube and other social media channels mocking Apple's iconic 1984 advertisement with the hashtag #FreeFortnite.
The hashtag has trended on social media and racked up nearly 26 million views on short-form video app TikTok."My friends think that Fortnite is going to win the argument," Jack said."There's a lot of people who play Fortnite, and they'll be against Apple." headtopics.com
At least 25 dead as rains deluge central China's Henan province
83 new Covid-19 infections in Singapore, including 4 imported cases; no new community casesSINGAPORE — Singapore has confirmed 83 new cases of Covid-19, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in a press release on Friday (Aug 14).
New Zealand reports 12 new confirmed COVID-19 casesAUCKLAND: New Zealand on Friday (Aug 14) reported 12 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 for the last 24 hours as the country awaits an announcement ...
83 new Covid-19 infections in Singapore, including 4 imported cases; No new community casesSINGAPORE — Singapore has confirmed 83 new cases of Covid-19, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in a press release on Friday (Aug 14).
New COVID-19 curbs delay start of New Zealand women's competitionWELLINGTON: A new outbreak of the novel coronavirus has delayed the start of New Zealand's women's provincial rugby competition for at least two ...
New Zealand Covid-19 outbreak grows with 7 new cases; Australia's Victoria reports 303 casesWELLINGTON/MELBOURNE (REUTERS) - New Zealand on Saturday (Aug 15) reported seven new cases of the coronavirus as a lockdown in the country's biggest city, Auckland, was extended on Friday in response to the country's first coronavirus outbreak in months.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Covid-19: Some residents in new condominiums grow weary over delayed rectification worksSINGAPORE — Some residents at newly completed condominium projects have had to live with defects in their apartments for months as renovation and construction works have been disrupted due to the Covid-19 pandemic.