Eid, Coronavirus Lockdown

Five die on overcrowded ferry as Bangladeshis defy lockdown for Eid

Five die on overcrowded ferry as Bangladeshis defy lockdown for Eid

12/5/2021 6:21:00 PM
Eid, Coronavirus Lockdown, Bangladesh, Muslim Holiday

Five die on overcrowded ferry as Bangladesh is defy lockdown for Eid

At least five people died in Bangladesh Wednesday on an overcrowded ferry carrying more than a thousand passengers, officials said, as millions defied a coronavirus lockdown to head home for the Muslim holiday of Eid .

AdIch habe fast alles auf meinem Computer verloren - dieses Gerät hat mich gerettet!South China Morning PostUS industry group applauds NYSE move to delist three Chinese telecoms companiesA US industry group on Monday applauded the New York Stock Exchange’s move to delist China’s big three telecommunications carriers to comply with a ban introduced last year by the Trump administration. The Big Board last week rejected the appeals by the trio – China Mobile, China Unicom (Hong Kong), and China Telecom – to remain on the US stock exchange, the companies said in separate filings on Friday. The NYSE applied to the Securities and Exchange Commission on the same day, starting the process to delist the companies’ American depositary receipts in 10 days. “The NYSE is doing the right thing by following the law and delisting these China telecoms companies,” said Zach Mottl, chairman at the Coalition for a Prosperous America (CPA), a bipartisan advocacy group for American manufacturing and agricultural interests.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. “For decades, the Chinese Communist Party – with Wall Street’s help – has exploited US capital markets and American investors to build its national champion Chinese companies that help modernise the capabilities of the People’s Liberation Army,” said Mottl. CPA urged the Biden administration to continue to expand on the policies of the Trump administration to make sure that US capital markets are not accessible for “companies that support the [Chinese Communist Party] military-civil fusion strategy”. Spokesmen at China Telecom and the NYSE declined to comment, while the NYSE, China Mobile, and China Unicom did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment. Last year, former US president Donald Trump signed an executive order to ban Americans from investing in a list of what eventually totalled 44 companies – including China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom – that the Defence Department said had ties with China’s military. Biden shows ‘more continuity than expected’ from Trump policy on China “We commend the Department of Defence for releasing this list of Chinese military companies operating in the United States,” said Republican Senator Tom Cotton from Arkansas, calling the list “one piece of a broader campaign our nation must wage against the Chinese Communist Party and its parasitic technology transfer efforts”. In January, the NYSE made two reversals within two days in its delisting decisions of the companies. The flip-flops were caused by confusing guidance about which firms were covered by the executive action. The various US government departments were also at odds of how tough the ban should be. The Treasury Department had wanted to be more cautious and implement a narrower order to avoid disruption in the markets. Shortly after Joe Biden took office, the three Chinese companies appealed the stock exchange for a review to reconsider its decision. In the filings last Friday, the telecoms companies stressed that they have complied “with the laws and regulations, market rules as well as regulatory requirements”. In a notable contrast, two other Chinese companies that are also on the Defence Department list of military companies – Xiaomi and Luokung Technology – both won court battles to be exempted from sanctions.More from South China Morning Post:Shanghai exchange prepares to list real estate investment trusts in new investment offering for public investorsChina Telecom, China Mobile and Unicom apply to New York Stock Exchange to reverse delistings ordered by Donald TrumpMSCI and index compilers to drop China Mobile, Chinese telecoms stocks from global benchmarksHang Seng Index falls after NYSE moves to delist Chinese telecoms firms and US officials weigh Alibaba, Tencent banThis article US industry group applauds NYSE move to delist three Chinese telecoms companies first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.

Failing to clear your table could soon mean a S$300 fine. Here’s what you need to know New compensation offer made over Suez Canal blockage McDonald's BTS Meal Sells Out In 5 Mins; Some Received BTS Logo-Less Paper Bag

18 hours agoChina looks to Turkmenistan for more gas as it cuts Australian suppliesChina is looking to Turkmenistan to expand natural gas supplies as it cuts back on Australian energy imports. Wrapping up a meeting with his Turkmen counterpart Rashid Meredov and the country’s deputy prime minister Serdar Berdymukhamedov in Xian on Monday, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said cooperation on natural gas was the “ballast stone” of the bilateral relationship. “China sees Turkmenistan as a long-term cooperative partner on natural gas, and is willing to formulate a comprehensive cooperation plan with the Turkmenistan side with a future-oriented perspective,” Wang said, according to a foreign ministry statement on Monday night.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. The ministry said China and Turkmenistan agreed to “further consolidate and expand cooperation in natural gas, and create a full industry chain strategic partnership in the energy sector”. Wang also said China and Turkmenistan should also create new “engines” for cooperation beyond resources, such as trade, investment, connectivity and technology. China aims to further cut energy imports from Australia as bilateral relations continue to sour. At least two of China’s small liquefied natural gas importers were instructed by government officials not to make new purchases from Australia over the next year, Bloomberg reported on Monday. Diversifying gas and oil imports to ensure energy security is also a cornerstone of the country’s latest five-year development plan, which runs until 2025. China sends ‘warning shot to Australia’ as patience wears thin Turkmenistan is the biggest supplier of natural gas to China, and the Turkmenistan-China gas pipeline, also known as the Central Asia-China gas pipeline, is a signature project of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, a vast global infrastructure development project. Since the pipeline opened in 2009, China has imported over 240 billion cubic metres of natural gas from Turkmenistan, supplies that account for over 70 per cent of China’s total imports, according to a report by the State Grid Corporation of China in December. But the relationship has not always been smooth. In 2018, China and Turkmenistan were embroiled in a dispute over the price and supplies of the resource, prompting Turkmenistan to dramatically cut flows to China. China-Australia relations: Beijing ‘indefinitely suspends’ high-level economic dialogue with Canberra But the levels gradually recovered the next year. Australia accounted for around 46 per cent of China’s LNG imports last year, according to industry data. “As the tensions with Australia escalate, China needs to beef up energy imports from Central Asia to ensure its overall supply,” said Sun Qi, an international relations specialist at the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences. Meanwhile, in a phone call with his Turkmen counterpart Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov on Thursday, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for joint efforts to lift the strategic partnership between the two sides to new levels by expanding cooperation in various sectors including aerospace and vaccines.More from South China Morning Post:China to boost natural gas production and trim imports, despite glut and pandemic-induced price slump, top distributor saysChina-Australia tensions ratchet up unease in Beijing about surging iron ore pricesChina-Australia relations: Beijing ‘indefinitely suspends’ high-level economic dialogue with CanberraThis article China looks to Turkmenistan for more gas as it cuts Australian supplies first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.

a day agoBest Cashback Credit Cards In Singapore (2021)The best cashback credit cards in Singapore help you save money on your daily spending in a convenient and easy way. Cashback credit cards offer perhaps the most straightforward type of reward for consumers. Simply charge your spend to a cashback card, and you automatically […] The post Best Cashback Credit Cards In Singapore (2021) appeared first on SingSaver Blog - We Compare, You Save. headtopics.com

Read more: Yahoo Singapore »

Police arrest man seen naked in public in viral videos; 24-year-old to be charged on June 12

As lockdown returns, Malaysians face another bleak EidMohd Rezuan Othman would normally travel from Kuala Lumpur to his hometown in southern Malaysia to spend Eid al-Fitr with his family, but the country's latest nationwide COVID-19 lockdown has scuppered his plans for the second year in a row. Under measures announced on Monday, just days before Eid , he and millions of others are being forced to stay apart from loved ones during the annual celebration because of strict restrictions on travel. 'I haven't gone back for Raya for nearly two years now and I haven't seen my parents in all that time,' said the 40-year-old cook, using the Malay term for Eid .

No 'festive vibes': Malaysians brace for another sombre Hari Raya amid nationwide COVID-19 lockdownFor the second year in a row, many Muslims in Malaysia are unable to “balik kampung” (return to hometown) and reunite with their loved ones.

US virus expert Fauci backs calls for nationwide lockdown in IndiaNEW DELHI Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has come under renewed pressure as top White House coronavirus adviser Anthony Fauci added his voice to calls for a nationwide lockdown. The 366,161 cases and 3,754 deaths reported yesterday were off a little from recent peaks,...

Hari Raya celebrations and visits out as Malaysia goes into lockdownKUALA LUMPUR Hari Raya celebrations and visits are 'completely prohibited', said Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin as Malaysia yesterday imposed a nationwide lockdown. The country is grappling with a surge in coronavirus cases and highly infectious variants that the...

Football: Premier League targets full stadiums next seasonThe Premier League has welcomed the British government's announcement on the easing of lockdown restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic and Chief ...