F1 says Vietnam race is on amid coronavirus concern

Vietnam, Race, Medical Health, Hanoi

F1 says Vietnam race is on amid coronavirus concern

Vietnam, Race

2/27/2020

F1 says Vietnam race is on amid coronavirus concern

Vietnam 's first Formula One grand prix will go ahead as planned on April 5, the sport said on Wednesday, despite continuing concern about the ...

close breaking news Sport Vietnam's first Formula One grand prix will go ahead as planned on April 5, the sport said on Wednesday, despite continuing concern about the coronavirus epidemic that has caused the cancellation of China's race. FILE PHOTO: A worker arranges steel structure of grandstand at the construction site of Formula One Vietnam Grand Prix race track in Hanoi, Vietnam February 18, 2020. Picture taken February 18, 2020. REUTERS/Kham 27 Feb 2020 08:40AM Share this content Bookmark LONDON: Vietnam's first Formula One grand prix will go ahead as planned on April 5, the sport said on Wednesday, despite continuing concern about the coronavirus epidemic that has caused the cancellation of China's race. The street race in Hanoi will be the third round of the season and the local promoter said the last 150 metres of the 23-turn 5.6km track was laid last week along the start/finish line. Advertisement Advertisement "We are ready and can’t wait to welcome the world to Hanoi very soon," Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation CEO Le Ngoc Chi said in a statement. Formula One chief executive Chase Carey told analysts on a 2019 Q4 earnings call that"all systems are go" and he would visit Hanoi on March 16, the day after the Australian season-opener in Melbourne. "The Vietnam Grand Prix will take place on April 5 in Hanoi. And to anticipate another question, we do plan to proceed with the race," he said. "We're heading to Melbourne, heading to Bahrain and heading to Hanoi." Advertisement Advertisement The Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for Shanghai on April 19 was called off this month and there has been media speculation about the chances of Vietnam's race going ahead as the virus spreads globally. A badminton Olympic qualifier scheduled for Vietnam from March 24-29 was postponed to June on Tuesday due to"strict health protection restrictions in place in Vietnam". Australian Grand Prix organisers are planning for the season-opener to go ahead at Albert Park on March 15 despite government warnings that"all options", including cancellation, would be considered if an outbreak of the coronavirus occurs. "We will take our guidance and lead from the health authorities and fall into line with their instructions. We have to be open-minded," Australian Grand Prix boss Andrew Westacott told local media on Wednesday. Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said he was dealing with"a bit of a moving target" with travel already a logistical headache. "Can you come back into Bahrain via Dubai? Probably not at the moment. We've got Honda engineers. Can they go back to Japan? Would they be allowed into Australia even at the moment?" he asked Sky television. SUSPENDED FLIGHTS Bahrain, which hosts the second race of the season a week after Melbourne, has reported 26 people diagnosed with the virus and has suspended flights to Dubai. The United Arab Emirates is a major transit hub. The disease is believed to have started in a market selling wildlife in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year and has infected about 80,000 people and killed more than 2,700, the vast majority in China. The Vietnamese health ministry said on Tuesday that 16 people in the country infected with coronavirus had been cured with no new cases recorded since Feb. 13. German free-to-air broadcaster RTL announced last week, however, that it would be covering the Vietnam race remotely due to coronavirus concerns. Italy, home to Ferrari and tyre supplier Pirelli as well as the Red Bull-owned AlphaTauri team, has had 12 deaths and 374 cases of coronavirus diagnosed. The Ferrari museum in Maranello has been closed and access to the team's factory restricted. In Formula One testing in Barcelona, McLaren have barred entry to their hospitality to anyone who has visited China in the past two weeks. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Ken Ferris and Ed Osmond) Source: Reuters Read more: CNA

Asian success puts 2020 F1 test on Chadwick's radarW Series champion Jamie Chadwick is setting her sights on a dream scenario of driving a Formula One car before the end of the year now she has ...

Kubica quickest as F1 testing resumes in SpainFerrari warned again that they expected to be playing catch-up to champions Mercedes from the first race of the season as Formula One testing ...

Vietnam completes Formula 1 track amid coronavirus concernThe track for Vietnam 's first Formula One Grand Prix in Hanoi on April 5 has been completed, organisers said on Wednesday amid continuing concern ...

Six Nations talking to unions over Italy coronavirus outbreak - The TimesREUTERS: Six Nations organisers are in talks with the participating unions amid concerns about the coronavirus outbreak in Italy, The Times has ...

Coronavirus: Vietnam bars tourists from virus-hit parts of South Korea HANOI /NHA TRANG, VIETNAM (REUTERS) - Vietnam banned tourists from coronavirus-hit areas of South Korea on Wednesday (Feb 26), a blow to a tourism industry already reeling from a collapse in Chinese visitor numbers.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Coronavirus wreaks havoc on luxury groups amid fashion weeks in EuropeFashion shows streamed online to isolated customers, but fears remain for supplies and sales in key market.



Singapore reports 35 more COVID-19 cases, 3 new clusters identified

High Court judge dismisses all three challenges to Section 377A

'Talk like Doraemon': Malaysian ministry issues tips for wives during COVID-19 movement control order

MAS eases monetary policy as economy reels from impact of COVID-19

Japanese comedian Ken Shimura dies from coronavirus

COVID-19: Wife of critically ill Bangladeshi man in Singapore gives birth to baby boy

Singapore gives coronavirus frontliners a round of applause

Write Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Please try again later.

Latest News

News

27 February 2020, Thursday News

Previous news

MPs suggest ways to see workers through Covid-19 crisis and longer-term challenges

Next news

Is new Disney CEO Bob Chapek up to the task?
Coronavirus: Employers in Singapore must allow staff to work from home or risk penalties; seniors must be kept safe via social distancing Russia's top coronavirus doctor who met president Vladimir Putin tests positive COVID-19: Firms that do not allow telecommuting where 'reasonably practicable' may be issued stop-work order, says Josephine Teo Russia's top coronavirus doctor who met Putin tests positive Saudi Arabia asks Muslims to put haj plans on hold Thailand to give free mobile data for those homebound by coronavirus COVID-19: Singapore confirms 47 new cases, 926 in total; 22 in ICU – MOH official Individuals can apply to defer property loan, insurance premium payments amid COVID-19: MAS Rolls-Royce targets in jeopardy as pandemic brings air travel slump Covid-19: Many abiding by safe distancing rules but some still ‘missing the point’, says Lawrence Wong Ramadan bazaars may proceed if SOP followed: Malaysian health ministry Coronavirus: US death toll exceeds official China tally
Singapore reports 35 more COVID-19 cases, 3 new clusters identified High Court judge dismisses all three challenges to Section 377A 'Talk like Doraemon': Malaysian ministry issues tips for wives during COVID-19 movement control order MAS eases monetary policy as economy reels from impact of COVID-19 Japanese comedian Ken Shimura dies from coronavirus COVID-19: Wife of critically ill Bangladeshi man in Singapore gives birth to baby boy Singapore gives coronavirus frontliners a round of applause Indonesia to suspend all foreign arrivals, barring a few exceptions 12-year-old girl infected with COVID-19 dies in Belgium 35 new Covid-19 cases in S'pore, 3 new clusters - a bar in Circular Road, a dormitory in Seletar North Link and a serviced apartment in Wilby Road Barbra Streisand praises PM Lee on Twitter for speaking common sense on the coronavirus US and China swapping insults, blaming each other for COVID-19 won’t help solve the problem: PM Lee