Trade, Sıngapore Economy, Eu

Trade, Sıngapore Economy

EU imports from Singapore up 12% in 6-month period after FTA came into effect

EU imports from Singapore up 12% in 6-month period after FTA came into effect

6/8/2020 11:23:00 AM

EU imports from Singapore up 12% in 6-month period after FTA came into effect

SINGAPORE - Despite the impact of Covid-19 on global trade, European Union (EU) imports from Singapore saw a 12 per cent increase in the first six months since the EU-Singapore Free Trade Agreement (EUSFTA) came into force.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

The EU Delegation to Singapore said in a statement on Thursday (Aug 6) that this increase contrasts with total EU imports, which fell by 10.6 per cent in the same period of December 2019 to May 2020.EU merchandise imports from Singapore amounted to 9.7 billion euros (S$15.8 billion) during the six-month period, with organic chemicals and pharmaceutical products being the two main product categories imported into the EU from the Republic.

Singapore to extend stay-home notice to 21 days for travellers from higher-risk places Covid-19: Singapore to put off letting in work pass holders from higher-risk countries it had approved earlier Battling COVID-19, and government denial, in rural India

However, EU exports to Singapore decreased by 16 per cent to 12.5 billion euros from December 2019 to May 2020, compared to the same period a year ago, due to the negative effect of Covid-19 on the trade in goods.The EUSFTA came into force on Nov 21, 2019.

The EU removed 84 per cent of all its tariffs for goods originating in Singapore, with additional tariff reductions for the remaining 16 per cent.Conversely, Singapore eliminated the last remaining tariffs for alcoholic beverages originating in the EU. headtopics.com

Beer exports from the region to Singapore grew by 20 per cent since the free trade agreement kicked in, the statement noted.EU ambassador to Singapore Barbara Plinkert said that the expansion of imports in EU from Singapore demonstrates"a clear evidence of the benefits of the EUSFTA on tariff reduction and elimination for Singapore exports to the EU, despite the challenging conditions for international trade and supply chains since the outbreak of the current pandemic."

She encouraged companies, and especially small and medium-sized enterprises, to further tap the benefits of the agreement.The EU Delegation to Singapore statement noted that Singapore has yet to make use of the annual quota for goods with specialised rules of origin stipulated in the EUSFTA.

The Republic has not yet exported any Asian food products, such as sambal ikan bilis, samosas or dumplings, to the EU by using the 1,250 tonnes annual quota since the agreement came into effect.Under the EUSFTA, Singaporean and EU companies are provided preferential access for trade in goods, services and public procurement in each other's markets.

Read more: The Straits Times »

A Chinese ‘auntie’ went on a solo road trip. Now, she’s a feminist icon

TikTok to spend $680 million on first EU data centre in IrelandBEIJING (BLOOMBERG) - TikTok, the embattled video-sharing app that's found itself at the centre of Washington-Beijing tensions, is setting up its first data center in Europe with a 420 million euros (S$680 million) investment in Ireland, the company announced.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Google's US$2.1 billion Fitbit deal hits roadblock as EU opens probeAlphabet unit Google's bid to take on Apple and Samsung in the wearable technology market by buying Fitbit hit a hurdle on Tuesday as EU antitrust ...

EU antitrust regulators to investigate US$2.1 billion Google, Fitbit dealEU antitrust regulators opened on Tuesday a four-month long investigation into Alphabet unit Google's US$2.1 billion bid for fitness tracker ...

908 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore; daily case counts to be high for the 'coming days' as dormitories are cleared: MOHJUST IN: Singapore reports 908 new COVID19 infections; MOH says daily case counts expected to be 'high' in the coming days as final batch of foreign workers in dormitories are cleared

908 new Covid-19 cases in Singapore, including 4 in community and 4 importedThe vast majority are dormitory residents who were tested during their isolation or quarantine period, even though they are asymptomatic.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

301 new Covid-19 cases in Singapore, including 4 in the community and 4 importedThree Singaporeans or permanent residents were among the community cases.. Read more at straitstimes.com.