Colombia, Death, Jep, Mario Montoya

Colombia, Death

Colombia ex-army chief will be charged over extrajudicial killings

Colombia ex-army chief will be charged over extrajudicial killings

1/8/2021 11:42:00 PM

Colombia ex-army chief will be charged over extrajudicial killings

Colombia 's attorney general's office will charge former army commander General Mario Montoya for responsibility of 104 extrajudicial executions, ...

WorldFormer commander of the Colombian Army General Mario Montoya attends a hearing at the Special Jurisdiction for Peace (JEP) court in Bogota, Colombia, on Sep 13, 2018. (Photo: REUTERS/Luisa Gonzalez)02 Aug 2021 04:32AMShare this contentBookmarkBOGOTA: Colombia's attorney general's office will charge former army commander General Mario Montoya for responsibility of 104 extrajudicial executions, as part of the"false positives" scandal, it said on Sunday (Aug 1).

Employees with positive COVID-19 antigen rapid test result entitled to paid sick leave: MOM Employees with positive Covid-19 antigen rapid test result entitled to paid sick leave: MOM Cancer at the age of 6, PSLE at 12: Girl says studies give her ‘sense of comfort’

The false positives took place between 2002 and 2008, during the term of ex-President Alvaro Uribe, when soldiers murdered civilians and registered them as guerrilla fighters killed in combat to receive benefits.AdvertisementAdvertisementThe country's transitional justice court (JEP) says at least 6,402 people were killed this way, but some victims' groups allege the numbers could be higher.

The accusations against Montoya, who is retired, relate to killings that took place from November 2007 and November 2008, including the deaths of five minors.Despite orders from the defence ministry and military command to prioritise captures, Montoya, 72, did not pass them on and continued to incentivise combat deaths, for which he will be charged with multiple counts of aggravated homicide, the attorney general's office said. headtopics.com

"He continued to evaluate commanders by number of reported combat deaths," said an attorney general's office document seen by Reuters.AdvertisementAdvertisement"General Montoya continued to exert pressure on all the country's commanders to comply with his policy of operational results, in which combat deaths were the only criteria for evaluating the campaign," the document added.

Montoya has previously denied committing the crimes he is accused of, while his lawyer, Andres Garzon, told local press the case is being investigated by the JEP and is therefore outside the attorney general's jurisdiction.Montoya, who remains free, was commander of Colombia's army between 2006 and 2008. He submitted himself to the JEP in 2018.

Dozens of army officials have been arrested and convicted of involvement in the killings, with some appearing before the JEP to testify and receive lighter sentences than they would under the ordinary justice system.AdvertisementThe JEP was created under a 2016 peace deal to prosecute former members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebels and military leaders for alleged war crimes.

Under the ordinary justice system Montoya could be sentenced to up to 50 years in prison, but under the JEP he could receive a sentence of between five and eight years, which would not be served in prison. Read more: CNA »

SAF personnel, PA volunteers roped in for Covid-19 home recovery scheme amid public frustrations over ‘teething issues’

Myanmar army chief should face the same charges

Indian, Chinese army officers meet to defuse border standoffTop Indian and Chinese army commanders met on Saturday (Jul 31) after a gap of three months to discuss the expeditious disengagement of thousands ... Talking Fighting Nice , good to have constructive dialogue than war .... Indian don’t get tricked by the CCP again.

Rhino killings on the rise in South AfricaAt least 249 rhinos were killed the first six months of this year in South Africa, the environment minister said Saturday, partly pushed by the ...

Cricket-Former captain Bailey replaces Hohns as Australia's chief selectorFormer Australia captain George Bailey has been appointed chair of the National Selection Panel, replacing Trevor Hohns who is retiring after two ...

Accreditation revoked for six people after violating rulesThe chief of the Tokyo 2020 organising committee said on Sunday six Games-related people had their accreditation revoked for violating rules ...

Fauci predicts US will not return to lockdowns despite COVID-19 Delta variant risksPresident Joe Biden's chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci on Sunday told ABC News he does not expect the United States will be returning to ...

Musk says 'Epic is right', takes sides in battle with AppleTesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk on Friday (Jul 30) showed his support for 'Fortnite' maker Epic Games that has challenged Apple Inc's fees ...