Australia, Hongkong, Millionaires, Australia, Hong Kong Millionaires, Visa Programme

Australia, Hongkong

Australia sees rush of Hong Kong millionaires amid unrest

#Australia sees rush of #HongKong #millionaires amid unrest

22.8.2019

Australia sees rush of HongKong millionaires amid unrest

[SYDNEY] Australia is seeing an increase in interest in its millionaires-only visa programme from wealthy Hong Kong residents who are eyeing a safety net amid political turmoil in the Chinese-ruled territory, migration lawyers told Reuters. Read more at The Business Times.

Thu, Aug 22, 2019 - 2:49 PM [SYDNEY] Australia is seeing an increase in interest in its millionaires-only visa programme from wealthy Hong Kong residents who are eyeing a safety net amid political turmoil in the Chinese-ruled territory, migration lawyers told Reuters. The New South Wales state migration department"has noticed a significant increase in applications" from Hong Kong in recent months, it said in a letter to agents this week, and seen by Reuters. The interest has coincided with the"beginning of the current unrest in Hong Kong", the department said, referring to a A$5 million (S$4.7 million) Significant Investor Visa (SIV) programme that provides direct residency to applicants. Bill Fuggle, Sydney-based partner at law firm Baker & McKenzie, said there had been a rise in applicants for the A$5 million SIV programme. sentifi.com Market voices on: "What I am hearing from my clients is there definitely has been an uptick in the number of SIV applications from Hong Kong," Mr Fuggle said. China’s appetite for Australia’s marbled beef is growing "Anybody who can make an alternate plan is trying to do so." Protests in the former British colony erupted in early June over a now-suspended bill that would have allowed criminal suspects to be extradited to mainland China for trial. The unrest has been fuelled by broader worries about what many say has been an erosion of freedoms guaranteed under the"one country, two systems" formula put in place when Hong Kong returned to China in 1997. Australia's New South Wales treasury department confirmed that the immigration team's letter was sent out to migration agents on Monday but declined to provide any further details, saying only that the increase was off a small base. In the letter, the department assured agents it was committed to providing"appropriate support" to help them discuss migration options with their clients. The SIV programme used to be hugely popular with people from China, though recent strict investment requirements have somewhat dented its appeal. The SIV now requires at least 40 per cent of the A$5 million to be invested in small-cap and venture capital (VC) funds while direct real estate investment is barred. "Money is also moving out but Australia is probably not your first choice to park wealth... it's a high tax jurisdiction. I suspect we'll get more people than money here," Baker & McKenzie's Mr Fuggle said. Data on applications received or visas granted in recent months was not available as Australia publishes these figures only annually. According to the latest data, China accounted for 87 per cent of the 2,022 SIV visas granted between November 2012 and June 2018, while Hong Kong stood a distant second at just 3.2 per cent. Juwai.com, China's largest international property website, had seen"some increase" in demand for Sydney property by Hong Kong buyers since the unrest began, executive chairman Georg Chmiel told Reuters. "Purchasing real estate is not the first step in coming to this country. More important is to obtain legal residency," Mr Chmiel said. "Over the next two to five years, there could be a substantial impact on the property market as these individuals look to settle down and purchase, but for now, it is too early for that." REUTERS Read more: The Business Times

Indonesia returns containers of waste to France, Hong KongIndonesia has returned seven shipping containers of illegally imported waste to France and Hong Kong, an official said Tuesday, marking the latest ...

China's warning to global CEOs: Toe the party line on Hong KongHONG KONG (BLOOMBERG) - As anti-government protests in Hong Kong intensified this month, KPMG issued a directive to its employees in the city: Don't speak on behalf of the company in public. It went on to say that the firm supports China's policy for governing Hong Kong.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

In Hong Kong, some feel violent protests are a legitimate form of political actionHONG KONG (REUTERS) - Pun sees himself as a peaceful, middle-class Hong Kong student. Yet since the beginning of June, he has been building barricades and throwing bricks at police, risking his own liberty to fight, as he sees it, for the city's freedoms.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Beijing says holding UK's Hong Kong consulate employeeAn employee of Britain's consulate in Hong Kong who went missing earlier this month is being held in China, Beijing confirmed Wednesday. The incident comes as relations between Britain and China have become strained over what Beijing calls London's 'interference' in pro-democracy protests

Hong Kong: Stocks start Thursday on front foot[HONG KONG] Hong Kong stocks started on Thursday with small gains following a positive lead from Wall Street and more upbeat comments from Donald Trump regarding trade talks with China. Read more at The Business Times.

Ties to China shape cautious reaction to Hong Kong protests by governmentsHONG KONG (AP) - For Canada and the European Union, they are a 'situation.' For US President Donald Trump, a potential stumbling block in ongoing trade disputes. And for South Korea, an issue to be monitored.. Read more at straitstimes.com.



Singapore to bar visitors with recent travel history to South Korea's COVID-19 outbreak epicentres Daegu and Cheongdo

Man loses PR status, barred from re-entering Singapore after breaching Stay-Home Notice

4 more COVID-19 patients discharged in Singapore, 2 new confirmed cases: MOH

Japanese woman confirmed as COVID-19 case for 2nd time, weeks after initial recovery

Switzerland reports first case of COVID-19

Mahathir says time for him to step down has not come yet

Mahathir in full control, Anwar’s chances to become PM now remote: Analysts

Write Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Please try again later.

Latest News

News

22 August 2019, Thursday News

Previous news

Bringing up baby: New Zealand Speaker makes parliament more parent-friendly

Next news

UOB expands to northern Vietnam with opening of first Hanoi branch
Johor's Pakatan Harapan state government falls, new coalition to take over China city offers US$1,400 reward for COVID-19 patients who report to authorities Shenzhen prepares ban on eating cats and dogs after COVID-19 outbreak Bullied Australian boy to donate $633,000 to charity Bullied Australian boy Quaden Bayles to donate US$475,000 to charity Shincheonji: The secretive sect in South Korea's COVID-19 outbreak Discharged coronavirus patients here no longer have viable virus and will not spread disease: NCID A mob out for blood: India's protests pit Hindus against Muslims Lancet withdraws Chinese nurses' letter on COVID-19 after they say it was not first-hand South Korea says flight attendant infected with virus worked Los Angeles route Indonesia official in hot water over 'pool pregnancy' claims Myanmar's last generation of tattooed headhunters
Singapore to bar visitors with recent travel history to South Korea's COVID-19 outbreak epicentres Daegu and Cheongdo Man loses PR status, barred from re-entering Singapore after breaching Stay-Home Notice 4 more COVID-19 patients discharged in Singapore, 2 new confirmed cases: MOH Japanese woman confirmed as COVID-19 case for 2nd time, weeks after initial recovery Switzerland reports first case of COVID-19 Mahathir says time for him to step down has not come yet Mahathir in full control, Anwar’s chances to become PM now remote: Analysts Scotland to approve free sanitary products for all women France reports first French death from COVID-19 Scotland to approve free sanitary products for all women COVID-19: Two to be charged with giving false information to MOH during contact tracing Iran's deputy health minister says he has coronavirus