Chinese factories torched as mainland workers hunker down under martial law -- Beijing is being pulled into the ulcerous crisis in Myanmar , an unravelling country it had carefully stitched into its big plans for Asia.
AdJetzt ist die beste Zeit, in Kryptowährungen zu investieren! Erfahren Sie wieSouth China Morning PostChina is building more underground silos for its ballistic missilesChina is building more underground silos from where its most powerful intercontinental ballistic missiles could be launched, according to reports. They are reportedly being built in the north of the country and are designed to accommodate the DF-41 and DF-31AG missiles that have a range of 10,000km to 14,000km (6,200 to 8,700 miles) – meaning they could reach US territory. The People’s Liberation Army Rocket Force has begun constructing at least 16 silos in a missile training area west of Wuhai in Inner Mongolia, Washington-based think tank the Federation of American Scientists (FAS) said in a report in late February, citing satellite images.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China. It said that as military rivalry with the US intensified, China was moving to expand its nuclear deterrence strategy and the missile silos were part of that. China’s DF-41 missiles can carry multiple nuclear warheads and can be fired from a silo-based platform or a road- or rail-based mobile launcher. The new underground silos are located in the centre of the Jilantai training base, within a total area of 200 sq km, and are spaced between 2.2km and 4.4km apart so that no two of them can be destroyed in a single nuclear attack, according to the report. Beijing’s official policy is that it will not be the first to use nuclear weapons in the event of a conflict, but it also stresses the need for nuclear deterrence and the ability to respond to a nuclear attack. The US Department of Defence said in its 2019 annual report on Chinese military power that it assumed China was considering additional DF-41 launch options including rail-mobile and silos. In 2020, its report said the Jilantai training base was “probably being used to at least develop a concept of operations for silo-basing” the DF-41 missiles. The JL-3: the new missile ‘raising the cost’ of a US fight with China But the FAS report said even if China doubled or tripled the number of ballistic missile silos, it would still lag far behind the US and Russia in terms of nuclear strike capability. The US has 450 silos, 400 of them loaded with missiles, while Russia has about 130 active silos, compared to 18 to 20 active silos in China, according to the FAS. It also said satellite images of the Chinese training base showed that two drive-through tunnels had been built, with enough space to accommodate mobile missile launchers – meaning they could be kept hidden. Macau-based military analyst Antony Wong Tong said the new silos suggested China was stepping up the “quantity and quality” of its ground-based missile deployment. “Using silos is the most reliable counterstrike method, but these facilities are also key bombing targets for rivals because they’re easier to spot using satellites,” Wong said. “These ground-based facilities need to be supported by mobile launchers.” Launching missiles from silos is the most reliable and precise way to hit a target, and the new facilities were built for the rocket force’s new DF-41 brigade under the Western Theatre Command, according to an article posted on Monday to Weapon Station, a military analysis account on social network WeChat. China now has the nuclear strength to hit back at a first strike, former PLA colonel says Hong Kong-based military commentator Song Zhongping said ground-based launchers were the rocket force’s “strongest and most powerful counterstrike” options. “Increasing land-based ICBM silos is part of China’s efforts towards the nuclear triad of ground-based ICBMs, submarine-launched missiles and air-launched weapons,” said Song, a former instructor with the PLA’s Second Artillery Corps, the predecessor of the rocket force. “The ultimate goal is to boost nuclear deterrence.”More from South China Morning Post:Xi Jinping tells China’s military ‘be prepared to respond’ in unstable timesChina declares success in latest anti-missile intercept testChina’s growing nuclear arsenal raises real risk of attack, top US commander warnsThis article China is building more underground silos for its ballistic missiles first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
21 hours agoSouth China Morning PostPair who tortured five boys by burning, beating, and strangling them at a Chinese boarding school unpunished, parents sayParents of five 10-year-old boys allegedly bullied violently by being strangled, burnt with boiling water, and having detergent poured down their noses, say the perpetrators are yet to be brought to justice. The boys who were left without adult supervision at a sports boarding school were also burned with hot irons, beaten, and had egg yolk poured into their noses over a five-day period last year, with at least two suffering serious damage to their hearing. The parents also said their children have not received proper compensation from the school or the accused bullies’ families.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China. It is the latest school bullying scandal to be exposed in China and reflects the difficulties in getting criminal charges laid due to the young age of the perpetrators. The five boys were boarders at a sports school administered by Hebei Provincial Bureau’s Gymnastics, Heavyweight Lifting and Judo Sports Centre in Shijiazhuang. The victims were allegedly abused by Liu Hao and Wang Jie, both of whom are 15-year-old students of the school, during a five-day period while their teachers took a group of students to a sporting event on September 24 last year, the Jinan Times reported on Sunday. The duo allegedly poured boiling water on the boys’ heads. They also scalded the victims’ buttocks and burned their hair on their arms with hot iron blocks. Each victim was allegedly strangled repeatedly till they lost consciousness then again scalded with boiling water. The boys were also hit with wooden sticks and mallets on the head and jabbed in the eyes. Cigarettes were used to burn their hands as well. They had their mouths and noses filled with egg yolk and washing liquid. Jie covered at least two boys’ heads with plastic bags for a period, the report said. The victims were threatened with further abuse and told to lie to their parents and teachers and say the injuries were caused during fights between each other, however, the boys told their parents. The children were taken to a hospital where doctors treated them for bruising, scarring, and scalding injuries to their faces, chests, backs, necks, and buttocks. Some boys had burst blood vessels in their ears that has caused serious hearing damage. At least two boys stayed in the hospital for seven days. Under pressure from the boys’ parents, the school launched an investigation. Hao and Jie then admitted to the bullying activities and were expelled. Police declined to charge the accused perpetrators, because at the time the age of criminal responsibility in China was 16 years and older and because they said the injuries were not very serious. It has since been lowered to 14 years of age. “Wang Jie’s father begged us to forgive his son but Liu Hao’s parents were indifferent, saying they grew up in this way, too. Their attitude made us disappointed,” Qiao Qizhen, mother of one of the victims, told the newspaper. Wang Jie’s family signed an agreement on October 4 to pay a total of 450,000 yuan (US$69,000) to the five victims, promising to give the money by the end of the month. However, after paying 65,000 yuan (US$10,000), the father said he did not have any money left. The parents said they are still in the process of suing the two perpetrators for compensation. They said the school was also responsible because the boys were left unsupervised. The school said they could pay compensation only after obtaining approval from the provincial finance authority.More from South China Morning Post:Coronavirus: what’s life like for the 20 million Chinese back in lockdown?Coronavirus: Chinese city in lockdown as Hebei province has biggest outbreak in monthsAs Chinese cities face new Covid-19 lockdowns, have lessons of 2020 been learned?Sex abuse inquiry identifies 81 children and 37 adult victims of Jesuit priests in SpainCoronavirus: Chinese premier warns against cover-up of outbreaksThis article Pair who tortured five boys by burning, beating, and strangling them at a Chinese boarding school unpunished, parents say first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.Read more: Yahoo Singapore »
Singapore returns to tighter COVID-19 measures: What's allowed under the new rules?
SINGAPORE: With the recent rise in COVID-19 cases in the community, Singapore has announced tighter measures for about three weeks from Saturday ...