What’s the science behind prolonged quarantine?

President Rodrigo Duterte extended the Luzon lockdown by two weeks on Tuesday, but the DOH could not offer a scientific explanation for the decision. | @jovicyeeINQ

4/8/2020 2:41:00 AM

President Rodrigo Duterte extended the Luzon lockdown by two weeks on Tuesday, but the DOH could not offer a scientific explanation for the decision. | jovicyeeINQ

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte extended the Luzon lockdown by two weeks on Tuesday, but the Department of Health (DOH) could not offer a scientific explanation for the

“We understand that everyone is struggling in the situation we are in. But let us remember that our sacrifices would bear something good for all of us. Your continued cooperation and understanding of our policies would greatly contribute in our fight against COVID-19,” he said.

LIVE UPDATES: COVID-19 pandemic ‘Dissent is duty, not crime’: Filipinos slam anti-terrorism bill 'Who said I don't want to accept OFWs?': Richard Gomez questions Duterte's source on 'Balik Probinsya' remark

Prior to Duque’s briefing, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, spokesperson for the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases, explained that because the onset of COVID-19 symptoms could take up to 14 days, the “earliest effect” of the lockdown can only be seen on March 29. The lockdown was fully implemented from March 15.

Clearer effect“According to our experts, we are most likely to see a much clearer effect of the [lockdown] by mid-April. You need to give us at least till mid-April to really study the effect of the [lockdown],” Nograles said.On Tuesday, the DOH reported 104 new cases, bringing the national total to 3,764. This was a significant drop from the previous day when 414 new cases were recorded.

From Tuesday last week, the number of new confirmed cases fluctuated from a high of 538 to a low of 76. It is unclear, though, if this is still due to the expansion of the country’s testing capacity as the DOH has not answered queries on whether there is still a backlog of samples that need to be tested.

The death toll rose to 177 as 14 new fatalities were recorded on Tuesday. The total number of recovered patients also increased to 84, with the recovery of 11 more patients.For the fifth straight day, the DOH did not release any information on the fatalities. Hence, it could not be determined when these patients actually died since previously some of the deaths were announced belatedly.

ADVERTISEMENTAs for the condition of those still hospitalized, 274 are mild cases, 39 are severe, while 23 are critical. The figure is barely 9 percent of the total cases.Duque said the DOH was still awaiting updates from the hospitals.Of the total cases, he said, around 80 percent were in Metro Manila. He said this was because SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, spread in the metropolis due to the “volume of flights” in the capital.

He said the cases in the Visayas and Mindanao were due to the “local transmission [of the virus] from Metro Manila.” He, however, did not provide any evidence or study that the DOH had done to back his analysis.Outside Luzon, Davao has the most number of cases, 79, followed by Central Visayas with 39.

Beauty service workers ask gov't to reopen salons, barbershops under GCQ Mt. Apo, other Asian spots featured in new Discovery Channel travel show If you have ADHD, here's how to manage working from home Read more: Inquirer »

jovicyeeINQ Fine. So did you further your search for an answer to your concern? jovicyeeINQ Within that time sana natest na yung mga dapat matest para maconfine na yung mga afflicted.kasi kung hindi sayang lang ang sakripisyo jovicyeeINQ DOH must explain to the people. Baka naman di run nila alam,hahaha

jovicyeeINQ I don’t know anyone raring to go back put by next week. That’s your science right there bitch. jovicyeeINQ The blind leading the blind. Mass testing needs test labs but DOH has only 10 now for 110,000,000 people? The DOH needs WHO bureaucrats' approvals when other countries don't? Forget the corrupt WHO. The IATF should compel DOH to do their own approvals NOW.

jovicyeeINQ Better 2 weeks longer and at the safe side than a new out spread of the virus jovicyeeINQ napakamisleading ng headlines, the way i understand is that the extension of lock down is not justified jovicyeeINQ No need for explanation common you know the reason jovicyeeINQ Common sense na lang inquirer.

jovicyeeINQ At this point its not anymore science. Its statistics that we are looking after. The problem is dicipline. How can you corelate science to our situation when some people are not cooperating? jovicyeeINQ You don't need a scientific explanation. It's common sense to avoid physical contact with potential carriers.

jovicyeeINQ With the number of cases increasing its better to delay the lifting of ECQ. jovicyeeINQ Pilipino nga nmn. jovicyeeINQ I hope the extension of lockdown will use for contact tracing and mass testing jovicyeeINQ The title is misleading. Although DOH didnt provide a scientific explanation, Nograles did. The title sounds like nobody from the govt can justify the extension.

🤦🏿‍♀️🤦🏿‍♀️🤦🏿‍♀️ Di ko alam ano ang mas nakakatawa dito? Ung DOH or ung Inquirer? 😂 jovicyeeINQ Simply put, we don’t have enough data to say we have flattened the curve yet because we have not started Mass Testing. Tbh, the extension of 2 weeks is not enough. Once mass testing starts, expect a spike in number of positive cases!

jovicyeeINQ Common sense needs no scientific explanation. istandwithmypresident IStandWithDuterte jovicyeeINQ This DOH like this WHO, has been a massive failure. jovicyeeINQ kailangan pa ba ng explanation. bulag ba kayo? jovicyeeINQ DOHgovph 🙌🏼😂 other countries can even release projections.. i pity my country. covid19ph

jovicyeeINQ Lol.

Manila gives cash aid to over 500,000 familiesOver 500,000 families in Manila will each receive a P1,000-cash assistance from the city government as part of an amelioration program during the enforcement of enhanced community quarantine measures to stave off the threats posed by the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Luzon quarantine likely to be extended - Duterte – The Manila TimesPresident Rodrigo Duterte said late Monday that the enhanced community quarantine in Luzon will likely be extended for two weeks. “We are inclined to extend the lockdown up to April 30,” the President said in a public address on Monday night. The enhanced community quarantine was to last up to 11:59 p.m. on April 12.

Iza Calzado grateful to be alive – The Manila TimesABS-CBN actress Iza Calzado opened up for the first time on social media after beating the coronavirus disease (Covid-19). On Monday, Calzado thanked the public for the support and prayers that poured in after her manager, Noel Ferrer, confirmed on ...

Oil firms slash pump prices anew – The Manila TimesOil companies will again lower their pump prices this week but the decrease will not be as big as the price rollback implemented last week. The cost of gasoline will go down by 35 centavos per liter, diesel by 70 centavos per liter and kerosene by 75 ...

Glimmer of hope in virus-hit Europe as US girds for 'horrific' weeks – The Manila TimesLONDON: European nations most ravaged by the new coronavirus on Sunday reported encouraging signs in their fight against the deadly pandemic, as the United States braced for what may be a “horrific” few weeks ahead. While Queen Elizabeth II delivered a rare televised address in a bid to calm public nerves about the deadly outbreak, […]

'Walang maiiwan': Manila to give P1,000 to families under coronavirus lockdownThe Manila City government will give P1,000 to 568,000 Manila families as assistance amid the COVID-19 crisis. Mayor Isko Moreno says a total of P591.5 million will be distributed to the families. Full story: