Simon Cheng is back in Hong Kong after being detained for 15 days in China for an alleged crime that his family says was made up.
Simon Cheng is back in Hong Kong after being detained for 15 days in China for an alleged crime that his family says was made up
confirmed he had been taken into custody by police in Shenzhen for breaking a public security law. In a statement posted on the Twitter-like Weibo, Shenzhen police said he was"punished with administrative detention for 15 days...for violating the law of the People's Republic of China on public safety management." Cheng was released Saturday as the term had expired, the police said, adding he had"confessed to the facts of his illegal activity," but without saying what he was accused of. The incident came as relations between Britain and China have become strained over what Beijing calls London's"interference" in pro-democracy protests that have wracked Hong Kong for 3 months. While in detention Chinese state media published lurid allegations about Cheng and the possible reason for his detention. The Global Times, a tabloid state-run newspaper, said he had been detained for"soliciting prostitutes," citing police in Shenzhen. 'Made-up crime' In an editorial on Friday, August 23, the tabloid said it was at Cheng's request that police did not contact his family and that"thanks to the British foreign ministry and media, which have been hyping it, the case is now fully exposed." But a Facebook page run by Cheng's family . "This is a made-up crime of soliciting prostitution, everyone should see it's a joke," the comment said. China promised to respect the freedoms in the semi-autonomous territory of Hong Kong after its handover from Britain in 1997 – including freedom of speech, unfettered access to the internet, and an independent judiciary. Bu the protesters who have tipped the city into an unprecedented political crisis say these rights are being chipped away. Chinese authorities have increased their inspections at the border since the protests, including checking the phones and devices of some passengers for photos of the demonstrations. Beijing has faced criticism in the past for detaining foreign nationals amid ongoing diplomatic spats, and for accusing dissidents or activists of sex crimes. In one of the latest protests in Hong Kong, thousands of people held hands Friday in a recreation of the Baltic Way human chain demonstration against Soviet rule 3 decades ago. The city's skyscraper-studded harborfront as well as several busy shopping districts were lined with peaceful protesters, many wearing surgical masks to hide their identity and holding Hong Kong flags or mobile phones with lights shining. Activists even scaled the famous Lion Rock mountain which overlooks the city for a nighttime protest illuminated by mobile phones. – Rappler.com Read more: Rappler
Employee at Britain's Hong Kong mission detained in China over prostitution - InteraksyonBEIJING — An employee at the British consulate in Hong Kong has been detained in China for involvement in prostitution, China’s state-backed Global Times newspaper said on Thursday. China’s foreign ministry confirmed on Wednesday that the employee, Simon Cheng , had been detained in the border city of Shenzhen. Britain has expressed its extreme concern about the case. The Global …
Google says YouTube campaign targeted Hong Kong protestsYouTube on Thursday said it disabled 210 channels that appeared to be part of a coordinated influence campaign against pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong .
Hong Kong gears up for fresh protests as activists target airportHong Kong braced on Friday for further demonstrations and a “stress test” of the city’s international airport at the weekend, as nearly three months of anti-government protests showed no sign of abating.
Google says YouTube campaign targeted Hong Kong protestsA Google online post says we 'disabled 210 channels on YouTube when we discovered channels in this network behaved in a coordinated manner while uploading videos related to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong '
YouTube shuts down 210 channels posting about Hong KongGoogle announced Thursday that it had disabled 210 YouTube channels that were uploading videos 'in a coordinated manner' about the ongoing protests in Hong Kong .
Hong Kong students to boycott new term as protests continueStudent leaders representing most of the city's major universities say students will miss lectures between September 2 – the planned start of the new term – and September 13