The WTA Tour could see its tournaments in China wiped out entirely for the second successive year due to the COVID-19 pandemic and has set a June 30 deadline for a final decision, two sources familiar with the discussions told Reuters.
With the sport brought to a standstill by the global health crisis, plans to stage seven events in China in the second half of last year were scrapped due to the country's strict controls on foreign visitors, which have not been relaxed a great deal since.
In April, the World University Games in Chengdu were postponed by a year until 2022 and the Asian Football Confederation was also forced to move World Cup soccer qualifiers out of China in May."Currently discussions with local and central government are still happening," one source said of the China-based tournaments on the 2021 calendar. "All options are being explored until end of June."
A second source confirmed that the plan was to make a final decision by the end of the month.The Chinese Tennis Association and the WTA Tour did not respond to requests for comment.The season-ending WTA Finals, contested by the world's top eight singles players and eight doubles teams, had a prize purse of $14 million in 2019 when it was played in Shenzhen for the first time. headtopics.com
The cancellation of the annual showpiece in 2020 left a big hole in the WTA's finances and making an early decision on the 2021 event would allow the Tour to relocate the event if it cannot be held in China.Last year, the men's ATP Tour had to cancel the Shanghai Masters, Asia's only ATP Masters 1000 tournament, the China Open in Beijing, an ATP 500 event, as well as the Chengdu Open and Zhuhai Championships, both ATP 250 events.
However, the ATP Finals went ahead in London without fans and will shift to Turin for the next five years from this year.China is scheduled to host the Winter Olympics and the Asian Games in 2022. (Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Berhampore, India; editing by Nick Mulvenney and Peter Rutherford)
RELATED VIDEO Read more: ABS-CBN News »
Metro.Style: Every Woman’s Guide to a Well-Styled Life
Your ultimate source for the best curated content on fashion, beauty, and lifestyle brought to you by the Metro Superbrand
NCR under GCQ with 'some restrictions' until June 30; more areas placed under MECQBakit ang tanga nung arrangement?! Di ba pwedeng from left to right?
21 areas placed under MECQ until June 30President Rodrigo Duterte warned anti-vaxxers of grave consequences for their refusal to take a COVID-19 vaccine. Hindi na natapos ang Q
ABS-CBN News Flash - June 15, 2021Listen to this episode from ABS-CBN News Flash on Spotify. Here's your daily news round-up from ABS-CBN News.
THE DAY IN PHOTOS: June 15, 2021Here are the day's top stories in photos. NO MORE DUTERTE IN 2022!
Metro Manila, Bulacan ease to GCQ with 'some restrictions' by June 16Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque says the only difference in the GCQ with 'some restrictions' classification in Metro Manila and Bulacan is that gyms and indoor dining are allowed to operate at up to 30% of the seating capacity.
ANC Market Edge - June 14, 2021Listen to this episode from ANC Market Edge on Spotify. Philippine shares inch up for a second straight session as the country's central bank chief remains upbeat about economic recovery prospects despite surging COVID-19 cases in some provinces. Make sure to hit that follow button to get updates on our episodes! This is the podcast edition of ANC's Market Edge