P16B for anti-insurgency task force questioned

The National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-Elcac) does not have to provide P16.4 billion worth of development projects to barangays already freed from communist rebel

10/2/2020 1:07:00 AM

The NTF-Elcac does not have to provide P16.4 billion worth of development projects to barangays already freed from communist rebel influence, according to Sen. Risa Hontiveros. | LeilasINQ NCorralesINQ

The National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-Elcac) does not have to provide P16.4 billion worth of development projects to barangays already freed from communist rebel

‘Surplusage’“The NTF-Elcac entered the picture even if the script of good local governance, of the interior, is clear to address the roots of the insurgency. It appears the NT-Elcac is miscast,” Hontiveros said, calling the task force a “surplusage.”The task force members include department secretaries, the military and police chiefs, and two representatives from the private sector.

Distraught Angel Locsin on being red-tagged — People I help could be accused, too Super Typhoon Rolly makes landfall in Bato, Catanduanes, brings catastrophic winds, intense rainfall Parts of Albay upgraded to Signal No. 4, as Bicol prepares to take on Rolly’s might

At an online press briefing also on Thursday, National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon, the NTF-Elcac vice chair, defended the proposed allocation for the so-called Barangay Development Program (BDP). He said those who opposed it could be rebel supporters.

“Who is against the project? Who doesn’t want this to happen? I think if you are against this, if you don’t want this to materialize, maybe you are in favor of the NPA, right?” Esperon said.He said the allocation had been unjustly called a pork barrel fund, citing allegations by the progressive Makabayan bloc in the House of Representatives.

REBEL INFLUENCE A group of New People’s Army fighters march in formation during ceremonies where the rebels released captured government soldiers in this April 19, 2017, photo taken in Davao del Sur province. The government says it will use P16.4 billion to develop 822 remote villages to keep them away from rebel influence. —AFP

Fund realignment“I categorically state that these accusations are unfounded and without merit,” the former military chief of staff said. “Do not say that this is a pork barrel of General Esperon because the DBM (Department of Budget and Management) will release it to the municipalities.”

Hontiveros said she planned to make a formal motion to realign the money and allocate it for health facilities and for epidemiological surveillance units.ADVERTISEMENTShe was surprised that amid the pandemic, P16.4 billion was allocated for an anti-insurgency program while the budget to create more rural health facilities was only P4.7 billion.

The budget for epidemiological surveillance units, which collect data about notifiable diseases, was only P112 million, much smaller than the P547 million the Department of Health asked for, she added.Hontiveros also noted that the P16.4-billion allocation was so much bigger than the P700-million budget of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, which was chopped down from P19 billion.

Sean Connery, the original onscreen James Bond, dead at 90 Storm surges could hit Catanduanes, Camarines Norte, Metro Manila, Laguna - PAGASA Super Typhoon Rolly to bring 'catastrophic wind damage'; Signal no. 5 to be raised in Catanduanes, Eastern CamSur, Albay

“That’s the budget of an agency with an actual mandate to address the insurgency, but it was slashed,” she said.Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said the NTF-Elcac was a “coordinative body” that was necessary because the different departments were “working in silos” and needed “convergence.”

Root of conflictIt would ensure the commitment of the entire government machinery in efforts to address the communist insurgency, Año said.The departments, in carrying out their projects, may not necessarily be focused on areas affected by the insurgency, he said.

“With the NTF-Elcac, all agencies would be focused on barangays affected by the communist insurgency … and nobody would oppose because they are headed toward one direction. The aim is to address the communist insurgency not by military solution but actually solving the roots of the conflict, of the insurgency,” Año said.

The concerned departments would still handle the barangay projects and the NTF-Elcac would ensure the community would have a say in the project so that it would not be the national government alone that would make the decision, he said.Hontiveros said the role of the NTF-Elcac was “overstated and overfunded” as she disputed the lack of coordination among government agencies.

“I still believe it is the existing line agencies that should shoulder the different mandates that you say the NTF-Elcac would coordinate,” she told Año. But the secretary said the task force had no say in deciding which barangays would get the fund.

No funds would be left to the NTF-Elcac either as the allocation would be released to the local governments, Año said.He noted that the 822 barangays were not vote-rich and are far-flung, so it could not be said that the program would be used for the elections.

Karylle, Jhong, Ion show Pinoy resilience with ‘Magpasikat’ performance WATCH: Nadine Lustre's 'Wildest Dreams' visual album premieres Rolly intensifies into super typhoon

In his briefing, Esperon said the BDP was “part of a whole-of-nation approach in finally solving the decadeslong insurgency problem, which has long stunted the growth of our country.”‘Novel approach’He said the program “is a novel and unified approach in responding to the root causes of insurgency, such as hunger, disease, poverty, injustice and hopelessness.”

The specific projects under the program were requested by local authorities who will implement them, Esperon said.“[The] NTF-Elcac shall provide the coordinating and convergence mechanism between the national and local levels of government,” he said.Esperon asked Congress to approve the budget, saying “we owe our disadvantaged countrymen in impoverished communities a chance to better themselves.”

“Without these holistic development programs, they shall always fall victim to the empty promises and the propaganda being espoused by the terrorist communist group or the CPP-NPA-NDF,” he said.President Duterte created the task force, which he chairs, through an executive order on Dec. 4, 2018, a week after he declared “no more talks with the NPA.”

He formally ended the talks a year earlier, and efforts to revive them were unsuccessful. In March 2019, Duterte said he was permanently terminating the talks. Read more: Inquirer »

Unsa'y pwede makat-onan sa Metro Manila sa syudad sa Sugbo kabahin sa pagbatok sa COVID-19?

Gi-eksplikar ni Ryan Macasero, Rappler Cebu Bureau reporter, kung giunsa og pagpatag sa kurba sa dakbayan sa Sugbo. Lantawa ang among video explainer.

Galvez: Active case finding to be expanded to areas not considered high-riskA COVID-19 task force official says case finding will now be expanded to areas not considered as hot spots in a bid to further stem the spread of the virus.

Oxford to study anti-inflammatory drug Humira as potential COVID-19 treatment

PNP to test body cameras this monthThe Philippine National Police is set to test this month body cameras for police officers conducting anti-drug operations, the agency's chief said Thursday.

No intent to shut down Facebook, Duterte only wants to talk – PalaceMANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is seeking a meeting with representatives of Facebook after he questioned the social networking platform’s decision to take down progovernment and JMAurelioINQ Shut down niyo na kasi. For once magkaron naman kayo ng palabra de honor. K? JMAurelioINQ Vietnam’s Q3 GDP grows by 2.6% and the Philippines biggest problem at the moment is Facebook. Juicecolored! JMAurelioINQ Tama na kasi ang gamit sa buwis ng Pilipino para pondohan ang mga ganitong uri ng page: DesperateDumbShits 💩💩💩

Air Force man in PMA shootings has diedBAGUIO CITY, Benguet, Philippines — The Air Force man who killed a colleague, injured a second soldier before shooting himself inside the Philippine Military Academy on Tuesday, Sept. 29, died

Dominance and verve: How the Lakers won Game 1The Heat may have suffered a couple of misfortunes but the Lakers deserve full credit for their Game 1 force and championship-winning numbers. NBAFinals LakeShow