Hong Kong, Carrie Lam, Activism, George Floyd, Hong Kong Protests

Hong Kong, Carrie Lam

Hong Kong leader accuses U.S. of 'double standards' over protests

Carrie Lam vs Donald Trump: Who's more allergic to protests?

6/2/2020 6:58:00 AM

Carrie Lam vs Donald Trump: Who's more allergic to protests?

'You know there are riots in the United States and we see how local governments reacted. And then in Hong Kong , when we had similar riots, we saw what position [the US] adopted then,' says Hong Kong 's Chief Executive Carrie Lam

Updated 11:20 AM, June 02, 2020CARRIE. Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam (C) holds a press conference after attending the opening session of the National People's Congress (NPC) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, in Hong Kong on May 22, 2020. Photo by Anthony Wallace/AFP

Duterte teases Sara: Run for president if you’re patriotic Stand with Filipino Environmental Defenders against the Terror Law! PH journalists slam rejection of ABS-CBN franchise: 'History is never kind to tyrants'

HONG KONG, China – Hong Kong's leader accused the United States on Tuesday, June 2, of applying"double standards" in its response to violent protests as she warned Washington's plan to place trade restrictions on the financial hub would"only hurt themselves."

Semi-autonomous Hong Kong has been rocked by months of huge and often violent pro-democracy over the past year, which riot police have stamped out with more than 9,000 arrests.Washington has been critical of Hong Kong's response to the protests with US President Donald Trump last week vowing to end the city's special trading status after Beijing announced plans to impose a sweeping national security law on the business hub.

On Tuesday, Hong Kong's Chief Executive Carrie Lam said such a move would be self-defeating as she took aim at the Trump administration for its own response to violent racial justice protests sweeping the United States. (READ:China threatens to 'counter-attack' U.S. over Hong Kong curbs

)"We have seen most clearly in recent weeks the double standards that are around," Lam, who was selected as city leader by a pro-Beijing committee, told reporters."You know there are riots in the United States and we see how local governments reacted. And then in Hong Kong, when we had similar riots, we saw what position they adopted then."

Both Chinese and Hong Kong officials have seized on the unrest gripping the United States in their propaganda drive to justify their own crackdown on pro-democracy protests and the national security law plans. (READ:Autopsy finds cop suffocated black man as U.S. braces for more fury

)Last week, China's rubber-stamp parliament approved the plans for a law that would punish secession, subversion of state power, terrorism, and acts that endanger national security – as well as allow Chinese security agencies to operate openly in Hong Kong.

Baguio's Vizco's strawberry shortcake available for delivery in Metro Manila [OPINION | Just Saying] Constitutional prerogative gone wrong Batangas solons na bumoto para sa balik-ere ng ABS-CBN, pinuri

Beijing says the anti-subversion law – which will bypass Hong Kong's legislature – is needed to tackle"terrorism" and"separatism."Opponents fear it will bring mainland-style political oppression to a business hub supposedly guaranteed freedoms and autonomy for 50 years after its 1997 handover from Britain to China.

Read more: Rappler »

Chinese Propaganda by Fake News Media. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Duterte. Peerless. Second to None. Wala pa, pre-empted na. JunkTerrorLaw Don't be fooled, this is the war tactic of Xi Jinping! He is behind all these fucking things! ChinaMustFall ChinaVirus!

China threatens to 'counter-attack' U.S. over Hong Kong curbs(UPDATED) 'Any words and actions that harm the interests of China will be met with counter-attacks on the Chinese side,' says foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian at a regular briefing, without providing details

For the first time in 30 years, Hong Kong will not hold a mass vigil commemorating the Tiananmen square massacreAn annual vigil commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre will not take place in Hong Kong this year, after police refused organizers permission to hold a mass gathering during the coronavirus pandemic.

China threatens to 'counter-attack' U.S. over Hong Kong curbs(UPDATED) 'Any words and actions that harm the interests of China will be met with counter-attacks on the Chinese side,' says foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian at a regular briefing, without providing details

For the first time in 30 years, Hong Kong will not hold a mass vigil commemorating the Tiananmen square massacreAn annual vigil commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre will not take place in Hong Kong this year, after police refused organizers permission to hold a mass gathering during the coronavirus pandemic.

Venture capitalists ‘seizing opportunities from adversity’ HONG KONG — Despite the devastating effect the coronavirus is exacting on many businesses, venture capitalists are good at maximizing opportunities during a crisis, an industry expert

Music industry hits pause to reflect as U.S. protests rage