Retired ICC Judge Raul Pangalangan said President Duterte himself “diluted” the validity of the Philippines’ 2016 arbitral court victory by openly expressing his ambivalence about its legality in his SONA. | MRamosINQ
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte himself “diluted” the validity of the Philippines’ 2016 arbitral court victory by openly expressing his ambivalence about its legality in
In his SONA, Duterte reiterated that the arbitral ruling, which invalidated China’s sweeping claims to the South China Sea, was already “part of the international law and beyond compromise, and beyond the reach of the passing governments to dilute, to diminish or abandon.”
The president pointed out that he asserted the Philippine position when he spoke before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and the United Nations General Assembly last year.But then he digressed from his prepared speech and repeated China’s false claim that it was not bound to abide by the tribunal’s decision because it supposedly did not take part in the arbitral process.
Timing missile hit“What will I do with a document that [does] not bind China because they were never a part of that arbitration? There was really no arbitration at all because it was only the Philippine side was heard,” Duterte said.The president this time, however, did not utter the same words which Chinese officials first used to describe the ruling when it was announced in July 2016 — that the arbitral award was just “a piece of waste paper.” headtopics.com
Duterte also said some “brilliant Filipinos” wanted him to “do something” to enforce the award.“Do you want war against China? Well, I’ll tell you, even on the coast beach of Palawan, before you can take off, the missile of China would be there in about five or 10 minutes,” he said. “It would be a massacre if I go and fight a war now. We are not yet a competent and able enemy of the other side.”
ADVERTISEMENTRetired Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, a critic of the president’s stance in the maritime dispute with China, said it was not true that Beijing did not participate in the arbitral proceedings.He said at an online press briefing that China submitted a position paper contesting the Philippines’ claim to the West Philippine Sea, waters within its 370-kilometer exclusive economic zone in the South China Sea.
Carpio, an observer during the arbitration hearings, said China was a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (Unclos), which states that the “absence of a party or failure of a party to defend its case shall not constitute a bar to the proceedings.”
“When China ratified Unclos in 1996, China gave its consent in advance … to any future arbitration against China that may be brought by another state party under Unclos,” Carpio said. Read more: Inquirer »
Some finds are simply too good not to share. Let us guide you on some of the best deals out there. Before you check that cart out, be sure to #CheckThisOut.
MRamosINQ Theres no arbitration.. How you can arbitrate a single state alone.. Arbitration must be with the consent of first party and second party with arbitrator within. MRamosINQ BOBONG PRESIDENTE EH! MRamosINQ In exchange for hundreds of millions in Singapore and HK bank accounts. MRamosINQ What else can you expect from him?
MRamosINQ MRamosINQ Traidor si Duterte. MRamosINQ Of course, anything for bff china
Duterte overturns DuterteThe most memorable takeaway I had from President Duterte’s State of the Nation Address (Sona) last Monday was his realization that to eradicate corruption, he needed to “overturn” the government
Contrary to Duterte's claim at SONA, execs in pastillas scam probe back in BIPresident Duterte has claimed that he had 'fired' these officials but Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra says they 'have returned to the main office,' mostly without assignments pending their cases. SONA2021 Check it out! : make 3d animated logo intro video Focus Mr. President pinaglalaruan ka na ng mga gabinete 'have returned to the main office' mostly without assignments pending their cases.. (waiting for 15th and 30th)
In Lacson-Sotto's anti-drug campaign, 'walang tokhang'Former police chief Panfilo Lacson says the Duterte administration focused too much on law enforcement, and not enough on prevention. Law enforcement? Is that what the kids are calling murder now? focused too much on law enforcement pero palpak pa rin Kuratong Baleleng and jueteng pa more that led to the ouster of Asyong.
Pia Wurtzbach envisions Hannah Arnold winning Miss International titleMasbate beauty queen Hannah Arnold is 'gonna win' the 2021 Miss International pageant, says Wurtzbach! 😲
Duterte says long way to go in fight against drugsMANILA — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Monday the country's battle against illegal drugs remained unfinished business, in comments made in
Duterte to DBM: Find funds for Metro Manila lockdown 'ayuda'President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the budget department to look for funds to provide cash aid to residents of Metro Manila, which will shift to the strictest of 4 lockdowns next month, Malacañang said on Friday. Sus!! Nasa inyo ang pondo!! Naku naubos n sa tarpaulin ni madam asara 🤣 Pinagawa n Ng mga tarp. Ni Sara run🐢🐢🐢🐢😡😡😡😡