DOH sees decline in coronavirus cases

According to DOH data, the weekly average of new cases in September dropped when compared with last month’s. In August, at least 29,000 new infections were reported each week. | @jovicyeeINQ

9/29/2020 1:50:00 AM

According to DOH data, the weekly average of new cases in September dropped when compared with last month’s. In August, at least 29,000 new infections were reported each week. | jovicyeeINQ

MANILA, Philippines — As the Philippines moves closer to becoming one of the top 20 countries with the highest overall number of COVID-19 cases, the Department of Health (DOH) stressed on Monday

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire pointed out on Monday that while total cases were now at more than 300,000, it must be understood that at least four in five patients had already recovered.“We have to look at the whole picture. When we say that we already have this certain number of cases, we need to look at how many are active cases, how many have recovered,” Vergeire said.

Nadine Lustre shares wish ahead of birthday Alden Richards's bathtub pic stirs reactions from netizens Julie Anne San Jose garners 120 million streams on Spotify

“When we look at the number of cases right now, even though we are at that point where we have 300,000, our recovery is at 83 percent. Many have already recovered, many [of the active cases] are mild and asymptomatic,” she added.Active casesAs of Monday, 252,665 people had recovered from COVID-19, with the recovery of 163 more patients. Of the new cases, 2,800 fell ill between Sept. 15 and 28, while 188 got sick between Sept. 1 and 14.

The death toll rose to 5,381 as 37 patients succumbed to the severe respiratory disease. Of the newly reported deaths, 26 died this month, five in August, four in July, and one each in May and April. The fatalities were from Western Visayas (21), Metro Manila (8), Calabarzon (4), Soccsksargen (2), Central Luzon (1) and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (1).

The recoveries and deaths left the country with 49,242 active cases, of which 86.4 percent were mild, 8.7 percent asymptomatic, 1.5 percent severe, and 3.4 percent critical.Vergeire explained that among the reasons new daily cases were still in the thousands was the clustering of cases in communities and the expansion of testing capability.

ADVERTISEMENT“There are a lot of positives being detected now. Our local governments are very active in surveillance. They are able to identify those with symptoms, test them immediately, allowing for the better management of patients. These are the things we are looking at why we are seeing an increase in cases in certain parts of the country,” she said.

Vergeire credited changes in the DOH’s strategy in fighting the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19 for the downward trend in infections. Among these were the setting up of a hospital referral system and coordinated operations for the identification and isolation of cases.

Vergeire said local governments were also actively monitoring cases, referring patients unable to quarantine at home to temporary treatment centers.“So all of these things taken together, we think that these have had a good effect in our response,” she said.

Filipino helper roughed up by PH envoy ‘in good spirits,’ to testify on ‘abuses’ – Zubiri Typhoon Rolly now packs with 185 kph winds and intensifying – Pagasa Topic page on Rolly | ABS-CBN News

According to DOH data, the weekly average of new cases in September dropped when compared with last month’s. In August, at least 29,000 new infections were reported each week.But this month, the average weekly cases peaked at just a little more than 27,000 during the Sept. 8 to 14 period, and dropped to a low of a little over 18,000 during the Sept. 22 to 28 period.

Daily casesIn August, there were an average of 4,209 cases daily. Average daily cases dipped to 3,144 this month.Vergeire, however, stressed that the apparent decline in the number of new cases should not lull the public into complacency, especially as there are still areas in the country with slight increases in infections.

“When we look at the average trend per week, yes we can see that it is decreasing. But there are still … areas that report increases. That’s why we always say that we cannot be complacent at this point,” Vergeire said. “[Observance of] the minimum health standards should still be there and we must remain vigilant,” she added.

As of Sept. 27, the DOH had detected 2,075 infection clusters, of which 84 percent, or 1,749, were in communities. More than a quarter of the clusters, or 566, were in Metro Manila.For more news about the novel coronavirus clickWhat you need to know about Coronavirus.

For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150. Read more: Inquirer »

Thirdy Ravena vows to bring ‘winning attitude’ to winless NeoPhoenix in B.League debut

Three-time UAAP Finals MVP Thirdy Ravena is set to bring his “winning attitude” to the San-En NeoPhoenix in Japan’s B. League.

jovicyeeINQ 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

DOH-7: Central Visayas should remain under MGCQDOH in Central Visayas has recommended for the entire region to remain under the most relaxed form of community quarantine, and not under the 'new normal'.

Drilon blasts P49-billion cut in 2021 DOH budgetMANILA, Philippines — Sen. Franklin Drilon slammed the Duterte administration for reducing the budget of the Department of Health (DOH) by P49 billion despite the difficulties brought about by the MRamosINQ Kabobo tlga ng admin ngayon...😂😂😂 MRamosINQ Aga mo naman mg blast diyan... Dba dumaan sa hearing ng congress, bakit d ka doon babanat? Ang hilig nyo talaga sa media para magsalsal ng ibabalita. MRamosINQ kawawa naman talaga ang DOH - 'ganun' na nga lang ang kalihim na pinipilit sa atin tapos ngayon ay tinapyasan pa ng budget. hindi talaga ang kapakanan ng bayan ang iniisip ng pamahalaang ito kundi ang maipagpatuloy ang pagkaka-sadlak natin sa lusak. RegisterToVote!

DOH rejects business groups’ bid to ease face shield requirement at work sitesMANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) rejected on Saturday a call from some business groups to exempt factory and office workers from wearing face shields at work, saying personal

Rappler @rapplerdotcomDOH updates on coronavirus | Sunday, September 27

Cebu City logs another record-low in new casesThree days before the month of September ends, Cebu City recorded another low in the number of new coronavirus cases, DOH - 7 said. GCQ lots of cases. MGCQ few cases. What do we learn from that? That a military solution is not the best solution.

For 4 straight days, Cebu City logs single-digit in new casesFor four consecutive days, Cebu City on Monday, September 28, reported a single-digit in its number of new coronavirus cases, DOH-7 data show