Covid 19, Covid-19, Philippines, Department Of Health, Novel Coronavirus, Coronavirus Disease, Francisco Duque Iii, Maria Rosario Vergeire, Doh Says It Sees ‘Decreasing Trend’ Of Covid-19 In Ph But Warns Not To Be Complacent | Abs-Cbn News

Covid 19, Covid-19

DOH says it sees ‘decreasing trend’ of COVID-19 in PH but warns not to be complacent

2/18/2020 9:00:00 AM

DOH says it sees ‘decreasing trend’ of COVID19 in PH but warns not to be complacent

The agency said that as of Feb. 17, there are only 171 patients under investigation (PUIs) confined in hospitals. These are people who either traveled to China or were in contact with COVID-19 patients and then showed symptoms of the illness. Meanwhile, 350 other PUIs have already been discharged.

New Japanese anime movie from 'Sailor Moon' maker coming to Netflix Mt. Apo, other Asian spots featured in new Discovery Channel travel show CHED: Schools ‘must adjust policies’ for those wary of physical classes

“The decrease in our admitted PUIs reflect the Department’s strengthened surveillance, assessment, and management interventions for the COVID-19 Health Event," Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III said in a statement."Although we see a decreasing trend, the Department will not be complacent and will be more vigilant as we brace for the possibility of local transmission in our country.”

Since the Philippines started monitoring the outbreak, a total of 453 PUIs have already tested negative for the new strain of coronavirus, while 22 have yet to submit specimen for laboratory testing.At a press conference, Health Assistant Secretary for Public Health Services Maria Rosario Vergeire reminded the public to practice regular hand washing and cough etiquette.

There were only three confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Philippines, all were Chinese nationals who traveled from Wuhan, the epicenter of the disease.The first two were a couple — a 38-year-old woman and a 44-year-old man. While the man died due to the respiratory illness, the woman recovered and was discharged last week. 

The third case of COVID-19 was a 60-year-old Chinese woman who recovered and was discharged before it became known she was earlier infected by the virus.So far, none of their contacts have tested positive for the dreaded virus, which have infected some 72,000 people and killed more than 1,800, mostly in China.

The DOH earlier reported that its Epidemiology Bureau was able to trace all 441 contacts of the first two cases. As of Monday, 280 have been interviewed, of whom, 221 completed and 14 are still undergoing home quarantine procedure. Of the 45 people who were considered PUIs after showing symptoms of the illness, 31 were already discharged, six are under strict monitoring and another six have left the country after being discharged.

But for the third COVID-19 case, only 255, or 34 percent of 740 contacts were traced. A total of 172 were interviewed, of whom, 155 completed home quarantine, 15 have been discharged, and two have left the country.“We are working with the PNP-CIDG and concerned local government units to expedite our contact tracing for the 3rd confirmed case. DOH is keen on ensuring that all those who may have come in contact with this case be immediately assessed and facilitated,” Vergeire quoted Duque saying.

CHED proposes vouchers for OFWs’ children during COVID-19 crisis After negative result in rapid test, jail officer diagnosed with COVID-19 thru swab tests Sanofi Pasteur gives update on COVID-19 vaccine development

Vergeire said the government is doing its best to contact all of the people who interacted with the three cases of COVID-19 in the country.Asked if the Philippines is now safe with no more positive cases being reported, she said, “We cannot say that.”

Vergeire said there are still many “gaps in information” that experts need to work on, including the source of the virus. Read more: ABS-CBN News »

DOH to wait for WHO, FDA approval before allowing use of China-developed COVID-19 cureAn official of the Department of Health (DOH) said it will wait for a go-signal from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Philippine’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before allowing the local use of Fapilavir, the first drug developed and “approved for marketing” in China to treat the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

DOH alerto pa rin sa posibilidad ng local transmission ng COVID-19

DOH: No let up in containing coronavirus despite downtrend in casesThe Department of Health continues its efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) despite the apparent slowing down of confirmed cases. Where exactly is the “apparent slowing down”?

DOH stays 'vigilant' even with admitted PUIs for coronavirus down to 171The Department of Health records a total of 521 persons under investigation for the novel coronavirus , but 350 have already been discharged from health facilities. nCoV

Duterte appoints to DOH ex-PhilHealth exec who quit over fraudulent claimsRoy Ferrer is named an assistant secretary of the Department of Health months after he was made to hand in a courtesy resignation over fraudulent claims made to PhilHealth. Basura dapat ang irecycle. 🤡🎭🤡🎭🤡🎭🤡🎭🤡🎭 just another day in this peryaang bayan. rage OustDuterte

DOH to wait for WHO, FDA approval before allowing use of China-developed COVID-19 cureAn official of the Department of Health (DOH) said it will wait for a go-signal from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Philippine’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before allowing the local use of Fapilavir, the first drug developed and “approved for marketing” in China to treat the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).