DENR orders closure of open dumpsites in Cebu, Bohol

1/25/2021 3:54:00 PM

Open dumpsites are prohibited under Republic Act No. 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000

Environmental İssues, Bohol

Open dumpsites are prohibited under Republic Act No. 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000. According to the EMB-7, 'sanitary landfills remain the primary long-term method of solid waste disposal' allowed under the said law.

Open dumpsites are prohibited under Republic Act No. 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000

According to the municipal government of Carmen, residents had already sent formal complaints in the past about the landfill, asking local officials to do something about it."Gihold ni mayor ang permits sa site and gipatransfer to ang basura sa laing area. Gitransfer ata sa Barangay Triumfo

," the municipal government said.(Mayor held the permits to the site and had the trash transferred to a different area. It probably had been transferred to Barangay Triumfo.)In March 2018, EMB-7 had already issued a cease-and-desist order against the municipality of Carmen, advising the local government unit to immediately conduct rehabilitation of the area near the Luyang River. Another letter was sent in March 2020 reiterating the closure of the dumpsite.

Read more:
Rappler »

PhotoRap

PhotoRap is Rappler’s photography show where you find photography trends, camera and gadget reviews, and photography tips. The show also features photographers and their craft. Read more >>

DENR orders closure of Bohol town garbage dumpThe Department of Environment and Natural Resources has shut down a garbage dump in Guindulman, an old town in the eastern part of Bohol province. | leoudtohanINQ

DOLE-7 issues over 1K unemployment certificates in Cebu, Bohol in JanuaryDOLE reported having issued over 1,000 certificates of unemployment (COU) for affected workers in the Cebu and Bohol in January 2021.

Orange rainfall alert raised in Cebu, BoholMANDAUE CITY, Cebu - Residents in northern and central Cebu and in eastern Bohol have been warned of the threats of flooding and landslides that may result from the rains and thunderstorms now

22-year-old yields P6M shabu in Cebu City; 3 sisters nabbed in Bohol buy-bust CEBU CITY, Philippines — A kilo of ‘shabu’ concealed in a delivery package was confiscated from a 22-year-old man after a controlled delivery operation along Gen. Echavez Extension, Barangay

P4.1M shabu seized, 2 HVIs nabbed in Cebu, Bohol busts CEBU CITY, Philippines -- Authorities confiscated P4.1 million worth of suspected shabu and arrested two high value individuals during buy-bust operations in Cebu City and Bohol province on

.Inquirer Visayas / 08:27 PM January 25, 2021 TAGBILARAN CITY—The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has shut down a garbage dump in Guindulman, an old town in the eastern part of Bohol province.By: Morexette Marie B.Residents warned of flooding, landslides By: Doris C.

According to the EMB-7,"sanitary landfills remain the primary long-term method of solid waste disposal" allowed under the said law. According to the municipal government of Carmen, residents had already sent formal complaints in the past about the landfill, asking local officials to do something about it. 25) afternoon. " Gihold ni mayor ang permits sa site and gipatransfer to ang basura sa laing area. In January 2021, the Department of Labor and Employment in Central Visayas (DOLE-7) reported having issued over 1,000 certificates of unemployment (COU) to affected workers in the two provinces. Gitransfer ata sa Barangay Triumfo ," the municipal government said.” The environment department said Guindulman officials have long been advised to rehabilitate the area heeding guidelines for safe closure and rehabilitation plan (SCRP) of open dumps and controlled garbage facilities. (Mayor held the permits to the site and had the trash transferred to a different area.5°N, 131.

It probably had been transferred to Barangay Triumfo. Ferrer cited that since 4 January 2021, their Office has already issued a total of 1,294 COUs or Certificates of Involuntary Separation to affected workers,” the agency said.) In March 2018, EMB-7 had already issued a cease-and-desist order against the municipality of Carmen, advising the local government unit to immediately conduct rehabilitation of the area near the Luyang River. Another letter was sent in March 2020 reiterating the closure of the dumpsite. Before the actual closure of the dumpsite in Carmen, officials of the Department of and Natural Resources in Central Visayas had a meeting with the municipal mayor, Carlo Villamor, to discuss the contents of the cease-and-desist order, as well as the current status of solid waste management in Carmen. This is followed by closure of businesses, redundancy, economic downturn, and illness of workers. The entrance gate of the Luyang dumpsite was padlocked after the meeting. “The public and the disaster risk reduction and management council concerned are advised to take appropriate actions, MONITOR the weather condition and watch for the next advisory to be issued 11:00 AM today,” it added.

Rappler tried to reach the municipal mayor for more details but we have yet to receive a reply as of this posting. Meanwhile, as early as March 2020, the municipality of Guindulman in Bohol already received a semi-annual compliance report directing it to immediately cease and desist from operating its dumpsite. COUs are issued to workers to assist them in applying for payment of unemployment insurance or involuntary separation benefits from social security agencies. "On April 1, 2020, follow-up inspection was conducted by EMB-7 and it was found out that the municipality continued to operate its dumpsite and no closure and rehabilitation undertakings has been conducted despite the CDO issued by the office," the EMB-7 said. – Rappler.com . LATEST STORIES.