Saudi Arabia suspends entry for 'umrah' over coronavirus – Daily Trust

Saudi Arabia suspends entry for ‘umrah’ over coronavirus

2/27/2020

Saudi Arabia suspends entry for ‘umrah’ over coronavirus

Saudi Arabia on Thursday suspended visas for visits to Islam’s holiest sites for the “umrah” pilgrimage, an unprecedented move triggered by coronavirus fears that raises questions over the annual hajj. The kingdom, which hosts millions of pilgrims every year in the cities of Mecca and Medina, also suspended visas for tourists from countries with reported …

Telegram FILE PHOTO: Pilgrims at Mount Arafat in Saudi Arabia PHOTO: Haruna Gimba Yaya Saudi Arabia on Thursday suspended visas for visits to Islam’s holiest sites for the “umrah” pilgrimage, an unprecedented move triggered by coronavirus fears that raises questions over the annual hajj. The kingdom, which hosts millions of pilgrims every year in the cities of Mecca and Medina, also suspended visas for tourists from countries with reported infections as fears of a pandemic deepen. Saudi Arabia, which so far has reported no cases of the virus but has expressed alarm over its spread in neighbouring countries, said the suspensions were temporary. It provided no time frame for when they will be lifted. “The kingdom’s government has decided to take the following precautions: suspending entry to the kingdom for the purpose of umrah and visit to the Prophet’s mosque temporarily,” the foreign ministry said in a statement. ADVERTISEMENT HOW OVER 5000 NIGERIA MEN HAVE PERMANENTLY OVERCOME TERRIBLE BEDROOM PERFORMANCE DUE TO THIS RECENT DISCOVERY BY MEDICAL CONSULTANTS “Suspending entry into the kingdom with tourist visas for those coming from countries, in which the spread of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) is a danger.” The move comes as Gulf countries implement a raft of measures, including flight suspensions and school closures, to curb the spread of the disease from people returning from pilgrimages to Iran. Even as the number of fresh coronavirus cases declines at the epicentre of the disease in China, there has been a sudden increase across the Middle East. Since its outbreak, the United Arab Emirates has reported 13 coronavirus cases, Kuwait has recorded 43, Bahrain has 33 and Oman is at four cases. Iran has emerged as a major hotspot in the region, with 19 fatalities from 139 infections — the highest death toll outside China, where COVID-19 originated. While no cases have been reported in Saudi Arabia, one citizen is reported to be infected in Kuwait along with four Saudi women in Bahrain — all of whom had returned from Iran. – ‘Unprecedented’ move – The umrah, which refers to the Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca that can be undertaken at any time of year, attracts millions of devout Muslims from all over the globe each year. There was no clarity over how the move would affect the annual hajj pilgrimage due to start in late July. Some 2.5 million faithful travelled to Saudi Arabia from across the world to take part in last year’s hajj — one of the five pillars of Islam. The event is a key rite of passage for Muslims and a massive logistical challenge for Saudi authorities, with colossal crowds cramming into relatively small holy sites. “This move by Saudi Arabia is unprecedented,” Ghanem Nuseibeh, founder of London-based risk consultancy Cornerstone Global Associates, told AFP. “The concern for Saudi authorities would be Ramadan, which starts at the end of April, and hajj afterwards, should the coronavirus become a pandemic.” The holy fasting month of Ramadan is considered a favourable period by Muslim pilgrims to perform the umrah. Saudi Arabia’s custodianship of Mecca and Medina — Islam’s two holiest sites — is seen as the kingdom’s most powerful source of political legitimacy. But a series of deadly disasters over the years has prompted criticism of the Sunni kingdom’s management of the pilgrimage. In September 2015, a stampede killed up to 2,300 worshippers — including hundreds of Iranians — in the worst disaster ever to strike the pilgrimage. The pilgrimage forms a crucial source of revenue for the government, which hopes to welcome 30 million pilgrims annually to the kingdom by 2030. De facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s Vision 2030 reform plan seeks to shift the economy of Saudi Arabia — the world’s top crude exporter — away from oil dependency towards other sources of revenue, including religious tourism. (AFP) Related Download Daily Trust News App Share this article Read more: Daily Trust

Yeah sani you’re right, those from china should only be suspended but the should only suspend those coming from Chinese

‘Happy I can choose’: New era sees Saudi Arabia women light up in publicEnd of time indeed... Is this the change they need🤔🤔😖 Free world.

Drug trafficking: NDLEA secures release of Nigerian held by Saudi ArabiaThe National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says it has secured the freedom of one Ibrahim Abubakar, a Nigerian held in...

Saudi Arabia inaugurates women’s football leagueThe world is actually changing... Western world at last... Only the wise can relate Great 👍 Islam Sha, at will they tune down one law, and bring up another as it suits them. How nice

Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia Suspends Visa For Pilgrims | Sahara ReportersCoronavirus: Saudi Arabia Suspends Visa For Pilgrims | Sahara Reporters The foreign ministry said on Thursday it suspended entry to the Kingdom for the purpose of Umrah and visiting the Prophet’s Mosque temporarily. READ MORE: Please include Nigeria Everyone's borrowing brain to avoid catastrophe. Coronavirus doesn't know religion ooo... Health is more important than pilgrimage I am still laughing. So these fraudulent Saudis value their life? But they are busy financing Boko Haram and Fulanisation agenda. They should open their borders for Hajj. This is Allah's business not Saudi.

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia suspends entry for pilgrims over coronavirusThe fear of Coronavirus.. Even the gods are scared of Cono Nobody wants to dead, but we want to make heaven. Hope our inner mind open to this news

Tramadol possession: Saudi frees Abubakar, Nigerian arrested in 2017 - NDLEA - Daily Post NigeriaThe National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has secured the release of a Nigerian, Ibrahim Abubakar held by Saudi Arabian authorities for drug



COVID-19: FG Commences N20,000 Conditional Cash Transfer To Poor Households

[BREAKING] COVID-19: Germany donates N2.2bn to Nigeria

Akwa Ibom rejects COVID-19 results, asks NCDC to conduct fresh tests

I’ve fears COVID-19 funds will be looted –Olaniyan

COVID-19: Buhari govt begins payment of N20, 000 to poor Nigerians - Daily Post Nigeria

FG reduces petrol price to N123.5 per litre

Coronavirus: FG begs US billionaire for ventilators on Twitter

Write Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Please try again later.

Latest News

News

27 February 2020, Thursday News

Previous news

Champions League: Bonucci, Szczesny apportion blame for Juventus' 1-0 defeat to Lyon - Daily Post Nigeria

Next news

CRUTECH student drowns in swimming pool after matriculation
Coronavirus: Innoson seeks N4 billion loan to start producing ventilators Nigeria Can Now Test 1,500 People A Day For COVID-19, Says Health Minister COVID-19: Nigeria govt wants Igbo to die, our millionaires, billionaires donating money to them are irresponsible - Nnamdi Kanu - Daily Post Nigeria BREAKING: Nigeria records 10 new coronavirus cases in Lagos, Abuja BREAKING: I hope to be out soon, Atiku’s son speaks from isolation BREAKING: Nigeria’s COVID-19 Cases Rise To 184 As NCDC Confirms 10 New Infections Lockdown: 'FG should create feeding centers, pay Nigerians N18,000 each' – Daily Trust UCH CMD Recovers From Coronavirus, Tests Negative COVID-19: After 14 days in isolation, Buhari’s daughter rejoins family COVID-19: FG gives update on N20,000 palliative - Daily Post Nigeria President Buhari approves new appointments - Daily Post Nigeria Airforce strikes terrorists in Sambisa, kills many – Daily Trust
COVID-19: FG Commences N20,000 Conditional Cash Transfer To Poor Households [BREAKING] COVID-19: Germany donates N2.2bn to Nigeria Akwa Ibom rejects COVID-19 results, asks NCDC to conduct fresh tests I’ve fears COVID-19 funds will be looted –Olaniyan COVID-19: Buhari govt begins payment of N20, 000 to poor Nigerians - Daily Post Nigeria FG reduces petrol price to N123.5 per litre Coronavirus: FG begs US billionaire for ventilators on Twitter FG disburses N5000 to over 1million indigents [BREAKING] Coronavirus: 11 new patients recover, discharged in Lagos COVID-19: FG regrets begging US billionaire for ventilators, deletes tweet COVID-19: 10 Billion Naira to be released to Nigerians in their bank accounts (Sponsored) - Daily Post Nigeria Mother of three jumps into Osun river, cites hard times