Cocogauff, Naomiosaka, Australianopen, Australian Open, Coco Gauff, Naomi Osaka

Cocogauff, Naomiosaka

Coco Gauff, 15, stuns title-holder Osaka at Australian Open

“Two years ago I lost the first round in the juniors and now I’m here — this is crazy.” #CocoGauff #NaomiOsaka #AustralianOpen

25.1.2020

“Two years ago I lost the first round in the juniors and now I’m here — this is crazy.” CocoGauff NaomiOsaka AustralianOpen

Unseeded 15-year-old Coco Gauff beat reigning champion Naomi Osaka in straight sets in a major upset at the Australian Open on Friday.

The American prodigy, making her Melbourne debut this year, beat the third seed 6-3, 6-4 in the third round to avenge her heavy defeat at last year’s US Open. The youngest player in the draw will play 14th seed Sofia Kenin of the United States or China’s Zhang Shuai. “Oh my gosh. Two years ago I lost the first round in the juniors and now I’m here — this is crazy,” said Gauff. “I was just telling myself one point at a time and just keep fighting because you never know what happens on this court.” This was the second instalment of a budding rivalry that could light up tennis for the next decade or more, having met at the US Open, where Osaka won easily. The teenager Gauff, who spent time training with Serena Williams in the off-season, had said she would be less nervous and more aggressive this time around. And so it proved as they rattled through the first five games in barely 15 minutes at the 15,000-capacity Rod Laver Arena. Osaka, a relative veteran at age 22, fired into the net to drop serve in game eight and then racked up more unforced errors in gifting Gauff the first set in 32 minutes. “Come on!” shouted Gauff, ranked 67 but fast making a name for herself as the most exciting prospect in women’s tennis. The young American carried the momentum into the first game of the second set, breaking a subdued and rattled Osaka, a two-time Grand Slam champion. The Japanese broke back for 1-1 when Gauff volleyed into the net, but it was a rare mistake by the American and she broke once more, before serving for the match at 5-4. The nerveless teenager clinched victory on the first match point when Osaka fired into the net. Gauff announced herself to the sporting world at Wimbledon last year when, as a qualifier, she stunned Venus Williams in the first round. She did the same thing to the seven-time Grand Slam champion on her Melbourne debut this week, then came back from a set and 3-0 down to defeat Sorana Cirstea on Wednesday. When Gauff and Osaka met five months ago in New York, also in round three, then-world number one Osaka crushed the tearful and overawed teenager 6-3, 6-0 in a little over an hour. That first clash was memorable also for what happened afterwards when the teenager cried and Osaka consoled her before Osaka herself began welling up. In this article: Read more: The Guardian Nigeria

BREAKING: Coco Gauff, 15, stuns title-holder Osaka at Australian Open💪

Serena, Federer into third round as Osaka sets up Coco crunch | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsFifteen-year-old prodigy Coco Gauff set up an Australian Open blockbuster with defending champion Naomi Osaka on Wednesday, as a pumped-up Serena Williams took another step towards a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title.

BREAKING: Coco Gauff, 15, stuns title-holder Osaka at Australian Open💪

Serena Williams Stunned At Australian Open, Ending Record BidSerena Williams Stunned At Australian Open , Ending Record Bid. Will she ever break the record? Well! Let keep hope alive Not “ending”! “Delaying” is more appropriate. No?

Deposed Osaka says she does not have 'champion mentality' Naomi Osaka said she had been overwhelmed by the pressure of defending her Australian Open title and admitted she does not have a 'champion mentality' after losing to 15-year-old Coco Gauff on Friday.

China's Wang stuns Serena at Australian OpenGood one Well done serena!!! Thing is, we can’t always win. Whàaaat?



No officer has right to check your phones, Police tell Nigerians

To be safe from coronavirus, shave your beard, CDC warns

Buratai wins award as most outstanding Chief of Army Staff – Daily Trust

My regime working to prosper Nigerians – Buhari

BREAKING: Lagos records first case of Coronavirus in Nigeria

BREAKING: Another man jumps from cab into Lagos Lagoon

Coronavirus: Stop all flights from affected countries, Atiku tells Buhari

Write Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Please try again later.

Latest News

News

25 January 2020, Saturday News

Previous news

Dier denies negative vibes at Spurs under Mourinho

Next news

Countries with confirmed cases of coronavirus
Coronavirus: We will ban public gatherings if Italian case escalates, says Sanwo-Olu PDP blames Buhari for coronavirus in Nigeria – Daily Trust [BREAKING] Coronavirus: 28 contacts quarantined, firm shut down in Ogun Coronavirus: Nigerian professional footballer infected in Italy We need unity to defeat coronavirus - Atiku – Daily Trust Coronavirus kills 210 persons in Iran We’ll use all resources available to tackle Coronavirus - Govs – Daily Trust Mexico confirms first two cases of coronavirus, linked to Italy Coronavirus: Ogun shuts down cement factory, quarantines 28 contacts – Daily Trust I vowed never to deceive those who elected me—Senate President – Daily Trust Coronavirus: Atiku calls for suspension of flight operations with affected countries – Daily Trust Lagos traffic officials harass, arrest Radio France reporter, Abba on duty – Daily Trust
No officer has right to check your phones, Police tell Nigerians To be safe from coronavirus, shave your beard, CDC warns Buratai wins award as most outstanding Chief of Army Staff – Daily Trust My regime working to prosper Nigerians – Buhari BREAKING: Lagos records first case of Coronavirus in Nigeria BREAKING: Another man jumps from cab into Lagos Lagoon Coronavirus: Stop all flights from affected countries, Atiku tells Buhari We are well equipped to handle coronavirus—FG – Daily Trust Coronavirus: Experts wonder why Africa seems to have few cases Guinea Bissau candidate swears himself in as new president Wizkid’s fan dies days after tweeting about death UPDATED: Cement factory quarantined as Govt begins contact tracing of Coronavirus victim – Daily Trust