Na

Na

Soccer-Wembley complications mean Porto emerges as option for Champions League final

Soccer-Wembley complications mean Porto emerges as option for Champions League final

10/5/2021 10:11:00 PM

Soccer-Wembley complications mean Porto emerges as option for Champions League final

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Complications with moving the Champions League final from Istanbul to London's Wembley stadium have led to Porto emerging as a new option for the May 29th clash between Manchester City and Chelsea, sources have told Reuters.

But a source with knowledge of the discussions said that while talks would continue on Tuesday, obstacles have emerged around the need for exemptions for international broadcasters, technical and support staff and sponsors.Given many of those individuals, from various countries, would currently need to quarantine on arrival in the UK, it would require a wide range of exemptions that has made a swift agreement difficult to find.

Contract doctors movement hopes KJ keeps promise to solve problems in 100 days Prosecution: Zahid can’t claim immunity from 46 charges, ‘odd’ for him to raise ‘last minute’ defence of being ‘untouchable’ | Malay Mail Uncle Kentang bagi pinjam kereta, awak pandulah elok-elok | Harian Metro

The Football Association did not immediately respond to a request for comment.Istanbul is highly unlikely to host the game given the circumstances and moving the game to Porto offers a way for English fans to still be able to attend, albeit at greater cost and effort than holding the match at Wembley.

Last week, the UK government placed Portugal on its 'green list' from May 17th which means that English fans would be free to travel to the game should it be moved.Portugal is currently on the last phase of easing the lockdown and it expects to lift travel restrictions from May 17. headtopics.com

Last year's final was moved from Istanbul to Lisbon due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but sources indicated that Portuguese authorities would prefer for Porto to host the game, should the country be given the option.UEFA and the Portuguese Football Federation declined to comment.

(Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Christian Radnedge) Read more: The Star »

Genting, Tioman and Melaka shortlisted for proposed travel bubbles, says Nancy Shukri

KUALA LUMPUR: Following the success of the Langkawi travel bubble, domestic tourism will soon be allowed again, tentatively on Oct 1, at three destinations – Melaka, Pulau Tioman and Genting Highlands, says Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.