Soccer - Marseille receive one-year transfer ban over Gueye dispute - Watford

Soccer - Marseille receive one-year transfer ban over Gueye dispute - Watford

Na

17/1/2022 10:52:00 PM

Soccer - Marseille receive one-year transfer ban over Gueye dispute - Watford

(Reuters) - Ligue 1 club Olympique Marseille have been handed a one-year transfer ban by FIFA for their involvement in a long-running transfer dispute over Senegal international Pape Gueye with Watford, the Premier League club said on Monday.

According to French sports daily L'Equipe, Gueye's suspension was the latest twist in a saga that started two years ago when the French-born midfielder signed a pre-contract at Watford ahead of the end of his deal at Ligue 2 club Le Havre.The newspaper said that soon afterwards Gueye changed his agent, who recommended he pull out of the deal. Instead, he signed a four-year contract at Marseille in July 2020.

It said Watford filed a complaint to FIFA's Dispute Resolution Chamber, last February."Watford FC confirms a FIFA Football Tribunal has considered the claim lodged against the player Pape Alassane Gueye and the French club Olympique de Marseille, ruling as follows," Watford said in a statement https://www.watfordfc.com/news/club-statement-fifa-ruling.

Read more: The Star »

Soccer-Burnley ask Premier League to postpone game against Watford(Reuters) - Burnley have asked the Premier League to postpone their match against Watford on Tuesday after a string of COVID-19 cases and injuries left their squad depleted, the club said.

Soccer-Marseille held by 10-man Lille in Ligue 1MARSEILLE, France (Reuters) - Olympique de Marseille were held to a 1-1 home draw by 10-man Lille on Sunday as they missed the chance to rejoin Nice in second place in Ligue 1.

Soccer-Three-match ban for Ghana's Tetteh after post-match punchYAOUNDE (Reuters) - Ghana forward Benjamin Tetteh has been handed a three-match ban for punching a Gabon opponent in a post-match fracas after a testy 1-1 draw at the Africa Cup of Nations finals on Friday.

Kelantan received more than RM400 million oil royalty in 2 years | New Straits TimesNSTnation Kelantan has received more than RM400 million in the oil royalty payments since 2019, Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz said.

Discord over Myanmar as ASEAN postpones year's first meetingBANGKOK/JAKARTA/KUALA LUMPUR/PHNOM PENH (Jan 17): Unresolved differences about engagement with Myanmar's military rulers are causing discord among the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), diplomats and government officials say, as a ministers' meeting set for this week was pushed back.The friction follows a tumultuous final few months of 2021, after ASEAN took the unprecedented step of sidelining Myanmar junta chief Min Aung Hlaing from its leaders' summit in the wake of a military coup and use of deadly force against protesters.The

Discord over Myanmar as Asean postpones year's first meeting | New Straits TimesUnresolved differences about engagement with Myanmar’s military rulers are causing discord among the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), diplomats and government officials say, as a ministers’ meeting set for this week was pushed back.

Gueye had been in the Senegal line-up to take on Guinea in an Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Group B match in Bafoussam on Friday, but was taken off the team sheet after being suspended by FIFA. According to French sports daily L'Equipe, Gueye's suspension was the latest twist in a saga that started two years ago when the French-born midfielder signed a pre-contract at Watford ahead of the end of his deal at Ligue 2 club Le Havre. The newspaper said that soon afterwards Gueye changed his agent, who recommended he pull out of the deal. Instead, he signed a four-year contract at Marseille in July 2020. It said Watford filed a complaint to FIFA's Dispute Resolution Chamber, last February. "Watford FC confirms a FIFA Football Tribunal has considered the claim lodged against the player Pape Alassane Gueye and the French club Olympique de Marseille, ruling as follows," Watford said in a statement https://www.watfordfc.com/news/club-statement-fifa-ruling. "Pape Alassane Gueye and Olympique de Marseille shall jointly and severally pay Watford FC compensation for breach of contract without just cause. "Olympique de Marseille shall be banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for the next two entire and consecutive registration periods." Watford added that Gueye was restricted from competing in official matches for four months, pending a decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). Marseille took note https://www.om.fr/en/news/4803/1st-team/59533-joint-statement-sanctions-imposed-club-and-player of FIFA's ruling and said they intend to appeal the punishment to CAS. (Reporting by Aadi Nair in Bengaluru) Article type: metered