Kin of Philippines 'drug war victims' hope for justice as ICC approves probe
MANILA (Reuters) - Families of people killed in the Philippines' war on drugs are hopeful that a formal investigation into possible crimes against humanity approved by judges from the International Criminal Court earlier this week will result in justice for the victims.
"I am grateful that our situation and the killing of my brother are being paid attention to," Mary Jane Gerangco, 40, told Reuters in Manila."Our hope is that our family get justice and those who are at fault must be held accountable."
Gerango's younger brother was killed by police in September 2016 after being tagged as an alleged drug dealer.The Philippine National Police issued a statement saying the accusations were repeatedly proven to be false, and that the force"neither condones nor covers up abuses and other forms of wrongdoings in our ranks."
"Our aggressive campaign against illegal drugs will continue," the office of the police spokesperson said noting a 64% fall in the drug-related crimes in the past five years.Remains of seven Filipinos killed under Duterte's bloody war on drugs were exhumed on Friday for cremation, after leases in public cemeteries north of the capital have expired. headtopics.com
Authorities have killed more than 6,100 suspected drug dealers and users since Duterte took office in June 2016. Rights group say the police summarily executed suspects, which the policy deny, saying they acted out of self defence in sting operations.
Judges in The Hague said on Wednesday that prosecutors' materials showed the anti-drug campaign"cannot be seen as a legitimate law enforcement operation" https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/international-court-approves-investigation-into-philippines-war-drugs-2021-09-15, but rather a systematic attack on civilians.
The presidential palace and police did not respond to requests for comment on Saturday. The Philippine government on Thursday said it will not cooperate with the ICC's probe https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/philippines-will-not-cooperate-with-icc-probe-war-drugs-spokesperson-2021-09-16, or allow any investigators into the country.
"The opening of this investigation is a way, not only to get justice but also for them to heal and get closure," Catholic priest Flavie Chalaf told Reuters after blessing the remains of the exhumed victims."If it is true that you are clean, why must you hide," Chalaf said, addressing Duterte's government. headtopics.com
(Reporting by Adrian Portugal; Writing by Neil Jerome Morales; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore) Read more: The Star »
Dirty factories: Two Penang food manufacturers shut down for two weeks
BUTTERWORTH: A tofu factory and a shrimp paste manufacturer have been ordered to close down for two weeks due to unhygienic conditions at their factories.
Philippines refuses to work with ICC 'war on drugs' probeMANILA (Reuters) - The government of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said it will not cooperate with an International Criminal Court (ICC) probe into his notorious war on drugs, or allow any investigators into the country.
Philippines refuses to work with ICC ‘war on drugs’ probe | Malay MailMANILA, Sept 16 — The government of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte today said it will not cooperate with an International Criminal Court (ICC) probe into his notorious war on drugs, or allow any investigators into the country. Judges at the ICC yesterday approved a formal probe into...
Philippines' Duterte will not cooperate with ICC drug war probe | New Straits TimesMANILA: President Rodrigo Duterte will not cooperate with the International Criminal Court’s probe into the Philippines’ drug war, his lawyer said Thursday, after its judges found the crackdown could be a crime against humanity. Berapa lama manusia akan terus hidup dalam kegelapan dan penindasan ini? Qasim telah ditunjukkan jalan keluar dan iaitu jalan yang benar, jalan yang dilalui oleh Nabi Muhammad SAW. Dia telah menerima pesan-pesan ilahi tentang masa depan. Sila tonton
'Kill them': Philippines' Duterte wages war on drugs | New Straits TimesNSTworld President Rodrigo Duterte was swept to power in 2016 on a promise to get rid of narcotics in the Philippines, unleashing an unprecedented campaign against suspected drug users and dealers.
‘ICC mengarut, mereka dilarang masuk Filipina’ - Utusan Digital“Presiden (Duterte) tidak akan bekerjasama. Pertamanya, Filipina sudah menarik diri daripada Statut Rom. Oleh itu, ICC tidak lagi mempunyai bidang kuasa ke atas negara ini'.
Underground water movement caused Kemensah Heights landslip, says fire dept | The Malaysian InsightUnderground water movement caused Kemensah Heights landslip, says fire dept